First Name
Kaan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi,
I observe that the consumption is always much higher within the first 6-10 kilometers even with high battery temps like 25-30 after the first start. I made this observation with different outside and battery temps. It’s always very high in the beginning.. After first 5-7 kilometers consumption always decreases in the city or highway🙄
Do you know why??
Sponsored

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Hi,
I observe that the consumption is always much higher within the first 6-10 kilometers even with high battery temps like 25-30 after the first start. I made this observation with different outside and battery temps. It’s always very high in the beginning.. After first 5-7 kilometers consumption always decreases in the city or highway🙄
Do you know why??
After the car has been sitting still for some period of time (6 hours IIRC) it will default to using mechanical braking to scrub the brake rotors clean. Without any recuperation the efficiency decreases. You can see this effect by looking at the power meter (absence of green recuperation bar) in the middle tube of the dashboard.

OP
OP
Kaan34

Kaan34

First Name
Kaan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
After the car has been sitting still for some period of time (6 hours IIRC) it will default to using mechanical braking to scrub the brake rotors clean. Without any recuperation the efficiency decreases. You can see this effect by looking at the power meter (absence of green recuperation bar) in the middle tube of the dashboard.
I see but I know that.I do turn on recuperation and see the green also after 1-2 kilometers. I was wondering if there is more like some kind of warm up period like ICE car independent of battery temp and recuperation

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The only other thing consuming a noticeable amount of power other than traction is the climate control.
It tries to get the cabin to the set temperature as quickly as possible. A/C Eco is markedly more efficient and in our climate here perfectly adequate IME so after trying it I have left it like that.

I don’t know where the range calculator has gone on the Porsche web site since the mk2 Taycan came out but I remember switching to A/C Eco showed the biggest range gain of the adjustments I tried.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have observed a similar behaviour after the car has been standing for some time. I have thought that it was due to explanations above. But I have also heard another thought on this.

You can see that the Taycan has extremely low Phantom drain when the car is parked for a few days or even a week. The charge level is nearly not changing at all. But once you drive off things change quite quickly?

So the thinking here was that the high consumption at the beginning is due to taking the not displayed change in SoC into account and calculate the consumption that way?? Not sure how valid this is though?

It is clear that the car will consume some power since the 12 volt battery gets topped up while standing, but with a limited number of cycles. The fact that the car can communicate the SoC and react to remote commands means it is online at some stage. Maybe not all the time but in regular intervals. And then it depends on how many ECU’s are alive at that stage as well.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Doesn't the battery also get more efficient the closer to its optimal operating temperature it gets? Surely that's another thing to account for the better consumption once you've got going?

I will note that the guess-o-meter and the satnav is pretty damn accurate in predicting the efficiency curve and battery SOC/consumption over a journey even with the slightly higher initial consumption

OP
OP
Kaan34

Kaan34

First Name
Kaan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have observed a similar behaviour after the car has been standing for some time. I have thought that it was due to explanations above. But I have also heard another thought on this.

You can see that the Taycan has extremely low Phantom drain when the car is parked for a few days or even a week. The charge level is nearly not changing at all. But once you drive off things change quite quickly?

So the thinking here was that the high consumption at the beginning is due to taking the not displayed change in SoC into account and calculate the consumption that way?? Not sure how valid this is though?

It is clear that the car will consume some power since the 12 volt battery gets topped up while standing, but with a limited number of cycles. The fact that the car can communicate the SoC and react to remote commands means it is online at some stage. Maybe not all the time but in regular intervals. And then it depends on how many ECU’s are alive at that stage as well.
This is the first time I hear something like that but really makes sense

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2009 911S 2012 Cayenne
Country flag
I think the high consumption issue is a matter of simple division: the acceleration at start-up is divided over a very short, distance, and thus yields high consumption. Once you have driven more distance the total consumption averages over that distance and evens out.

OP
OP
Kaan34

Kaan34

First Name
Kaan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think the high consumption issue is a matter of simple division: the acceleration at start-up is divided over a very short, distance, and thus yields high consumption. Once you have driven more distance the total consumption averages over that distance and evens out.
I don’t think so…Today I drove 4 kilometers with average consumption of 34kw/100 and on my way back after 30 minutes it was 26kw/100 with almost same conditions. Also the battery soc was 68 at cold start and when I arrived it was 65(3 percent) and when I came back it was 64(only 1 percent)So I don’t think it’s average calculation..

rim23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don’t think so…Today I drove 4 kilometers with average consumption of 34kw/100 and on my way back after 30 minutes it was 26kw/100 with almost same conditions. Also the battery soc was 68 at cold start and when I arrived it was 65(3 percent) and when I came back it was 64(only 1 percent)So I don’t think it’s average calculation..
Did you reset the trip or has it had enough time to reset? or the trip back was added to the previous trip, wasn’t it?

rim23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
For example, here are my trips -

Porsche Taycan High consumption after first start IMG_2152
Porsche Taycan High consumption after first start IMG_2153

The contributing factor here is cold cabin (I only preheat for 5 minutes most of the time unless it’s freezing cold).

OP
OP
Kaan34

Kaan34

First Name
Kaan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did you reset the trip or has it had enough time to reset? or the trip back was added to the previous trip, wasn’t it?
No I didn’t reset but I guess I should have..Next time I’ll reset on the way back