Hot Weather Driving Experience

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I did a 54 mile trip this afternoon of mainly highway driving. It was averaging about 102 degrees (fahrenheit, not celcius :) ).

The car was completely comfortable with the dual pane glass. With the AC set in ECO mode, the fan was barely noticeably on. As for the pano roof, it was really warm to the touch, but the cool thing is that it seemed to not radiated any heat - e.g. when my hand was a half an inch away, I couldn't feel any heat from the glass.
Sponsored

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
It has been 95 degrees Fahrenheit every day for the past two weeks in Colorado. Plus the sun at a mile above sea level is very strong! So far the AC has been keeping up. I haven't changed it out of eco mode. I haven't watched it really carefully, but my sense is that energy consumption has been higher due to the heat.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I did a 54 mile trip this afternoon of mainly highway driving. It was averaging about 102 degrees (fahrenheit, not celcius :) ).

The car was completely comfortable with the dual pane glass. With the AC set in ECO mode, the fan was barely noticeably on. As for the pano roof, it was really warm to the touch, but the cool thing is that it seemed to not radiated any heat - e.g. when my hand was a half an inch away, I couldn't feel any heat from the glass.
I ordered the noise and heat insulating glass, but it looks like the missed that on the pano roof glass. When the car sits in the sun, the roof glass is so hot, you burn your fingers. However, the windshield glass is ok.

Porsche Taycan Hot Weather Driving Experience 20200826_102745
Porsche Taycan Hot Weather Driving Experience 20200826_112618

Left, after parking underground over night.
Right, after parking outside for 40 minutes.

I cannot handle that glass. In my climate, that requires way too much AC while driving. Now I am looking into options. Is there any way to see, if the pano roof in fact is double glazed and heat insulated?

Jason0055

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi s3 Range Rover sport Porsche Taycan.
Country flag
I didn’t pick the pano option, due to the fact that It’s more for your passengers rather than the driver.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I ordered the noise and heat insulating glass, but it looks like the missed that on the pano roof glass. When the car sits in the sun, the roof glass is so hot, you burn your fingers. However, the windshield glass is ok.

20200826_102745.jpg
20200826_112618.jpg

Left, after parking underground over night.
Right, after parking outside for 40 minutes.

I cannot handle that glass. In my climate, that requires way too much AC while driving. Now I am looking into options. Is there any way to see, if the pano roof in fact is double glazed and heat insulated?
Wow, that is quite hot. I do recall checking with a Porsche person on weather the thermal glass option affected the pano roof. The answer is no I did not. The pano roof is already a six layer bonded material with UV coatings.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Wow, that is quite hot. I do recall checking with a Porsche person on weather the thermal glass option affected the pano roof. The answer is no I did not. The pano roof is already a six layer bonded material with UV coatings.
Interesting, thank you! I will do a few more tests. But after the first round of golf parking the car for hours outside, the glass was so hot!

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
OP
OP

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Our of curiosity, could you try the following? On the hot day when your car is outside, measure the temperature at the very top of the headrest (at the point that is closest to and faces the pano roof, not the vertical part where your head hits). My point was the pano was really warm to the touch, but it didn't radiate that much heat.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Our of curiosity, could you try the following? On the hot day when your car is outside, measure the temperature at the very top of the headrest (at the point that is closest to and faces the pano roof, not the vertical part where your head hits). My point was the pano was really warm to the touch, but it didn't radiate that much heat.
Excellent idea! I will take more different readings and record them. Thank you!

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I got a sun shield from Heat Shield for the panoramic glass P/N 2030-T. It suction cups to the glass. I also got one for the windshield, P/N 2030.
Sponsored