How can I find an allocation? Best way?

Foreal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i8 roadster
Country flag
Hey y’all, ready to order a turbo s. What’s the best way to find an allocation? Do I just need to individually contact every dealer? Thanks!
Sponsored

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
Yeah, with the way the market is right now, I doubt there are many dealers who are willing to trade an allocation to another dealership. You can ask, just don't hold your breath. That leaves individually contacting them.

When you're calling around, make sure to ask not just if they have an allocation, but when. A few members of these forums have been assured by salesmen that they had an allocation, but actually ended up getting put at the back of a very long line to get one.

You can also ask if you can take over any dealer orders that haven't locked yet. Again, not sure there are many dealer orders these days, but maybe.

OP
OP
Foreal

Foreal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i8 roadster
Country flag
Yeah, with the way the market is right now, I doubt there are many dealers who are willing to trade an allocation to another dealership. You can ask, just don't hold your breath. That leaves individually contacting them.

When you're calling around, make sure to ask not just if they have an allocation, but when. A few members of these forums have been assured by salesmen that they had an allocation, but actually ended up getting put at the back of a very long line to get one.

You can also ask if you can take over any dealer orders that haven't locked yet. Again, not sure there are many dealer orders these days, but maybe.
Thanks! Am I the only one that thinks it’s crazy we can’t just contact Porsche and ask? Or find it on their website?

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
That wouldn't work with their allocations model. If you could just call and be told who had allocations, it would route business toward those dealerships specifically. The increase in sales would mean they get more allocations while other dealerships get fewer, increasing the likelihood that they'd have allocations available. It would be a feedback loop that would result in a handful of dealers getting essentially all business.

Personally, I think you should be able to buy directly from Porsche at a discounted price, and then pay a flat amount (e.g. $1000) to take delivery at a dealership. Or you can go pick it up from a PEC for "free."

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks! Am I the only one that thinks it’s crazy we can’t just contact Porsche and ask? Or find it on their website?
Porsche would have no idea what each dealer is planning for each of their allocations.

If Turbo S allocations are very few per year, then the dealership is likely to allot those allocations towards their 'best' customers first, like they do with other hard to get models.

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Hey y’all, ready to order a turbo s. What’s the best way to find an allocation? Do I just need to individually contact every dealer? Thanks!
Have you considered a low mileage CPO Turbo S from 2020 or 2021? I fully appreciate why you want an allocation and to build your own -- I was in the same situation as you and was patiently trying to find an allocation to build a highly spec'd 4S or moderately spec'd Turbo. I then came across my CPO Turbo S with 3,500 miles on it looking fantastic. There was not much difference in spec to my "dream car" since so much comes standard on the Turbo S, so once I found one that had the color and wheels that I wanted I pulled the trigger on that. When you factor in the CPO program gets you 2 extra years of warranty on top of the initial 4 year warranty that, in my case, still had 34 months on it (so a longer warranty than a new car) plus the major discount to MSRP you get given that the initial owner suffers the initial depreciation, it is a really attractive way to do it. It did initially give me pause to spend so much money on a "used car" but you just need to go through a Porsche dealer, make sure it is certified by Porsche and make sure you check the Carfax to confirm it was not a Lemon buyback etc. If you go this route you can look nationwide on Carfax and then arrange shipping. You could be driving it next week instead of god knows when next year...

OP
OP
Foreal

Foreal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i8 roadster
Country flag
I have, but it’s so hard to find one with the spec that I want. I did find one, and as I was negotiating with a dealer, they sold it to another dealer that listed it at 14k higher. Now the car is only 10% below msrp while being a 2020, and not even certified. That just doesn’t make sense to me, so that’s when I decided I’d be better off ordering

Have you considered a low mileage CPO Turbo S from 2020 or 2021? I fully appreciate why you want an allocation and to build your own -- I was in the same situation as you and was patiently trying to find an allocation to build a highly spec'd 4S or moderately spec'd Turbo. I then came across my CPO Turbo S with 3,500 miles on it looking fantastic. There was not much difference in spec to my "dream car" since so much comes standard on the Turbo S, so once I found one that had the color and wheels that I wanted I pulled the trigger on that. When you factor in the CPO program gets you 2 extra years of warranty on top of the initial 4 year warranty that, in my case, still had 34 months on it (so a longer warranty than a new car) plus the major discount to MSRP you get given that the initial owner suffers the initial depreciation, it is a really attractive way to do it. It did initially give me pause to spend so much money on a "used car" but you just need to go through a Porsche dealer, make sure it is certified by Porsche and make sure you check the Carfax to confirm it was not a Lemon buyback etc. If you go this route you can look nationwide on Carfax and then arrange shipping. You could be driving it next week instead of god knows when next year...

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
I have, but it’s so hard to find one with the spec that I want. I did find one, and as I was negotiating with a dealer, they sold it to another dealer that listed it at 14k higher. Now the car is only 10% below msrp while being a 2020, and not even certified. That just doesn’t make sense to me, so that’s when I decided I’d be better off ordering
I see. I guess I really was in the right place at the right time. I would have spec'd adaptive cruise control and head up display and those are the only things my Turbo S does not have but I don't really miss them at all. Most important to me was Carerra White Metallic with Black/Chalk and Mission E wheels color matched. Ended up really liking the carbon fiber and passenger screen (and of course insane acceleration) that I would not have ended up with had I built an allocation. Good luck!

OP
OP
Foreal

Foreal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i8 roadster
Country flag
Sounds like a nice build! I found a few that are nice enough I’m contemplating compromising on, but I’m also really desiring the paint matched e mission wheels, and on something crazy like the mamba green or frozen blue haha..thanks for your help!

I see. I guess I really was in the right place at the right time. I would have spec'd adaptive cruise control and head up display and those are the only things my Turbo S does not have but I don't really miss them at all. Most important to me was Carerra White Metallic with Black/Chalk and Mission E wheels color matched. Ended up really liking the carbon fiber and passenger screen (and of course insane acceleration) that I would not have ended up with had I built an allocation. Good luck!

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag

Yes pretty much what he said. Finding a car now is not likely to be easy. They are out there for sure and I believe additional allocations just dropped this week from Porsche NA and Porsche AG for some models. But be prepared to go outside your local area likely and even state. Also as I talked to my dealer last week he basically said getting a car...any car at a discount is just almost a non-started at most dealers now a days across the US unless you have a very very special relationship (i.e. I read that as you're on the GT3 list and have bought MANY cars). So good luck in your search.

For me just happened to stay in touch with my dealership SA and thus luckily was around the week they got new allocations in and asked at the right time. :)
That wouldn't work with their allocations model. If you could just call and be told who had allocations, it would route business toward those dealerships specifically. The increase in sales would mean they get more allocations while other dealerships get fewer, increasing the likelihood that they'd have allocations available. It would be a feedback loop that would result in a handful of dealers getting essentially all business.

Personally, I think you should be able to buy directly from Porsche at a discounted price, and then pay a flat amount (e.g. $1000) to take delivery at a dealership. Or you can go pick it up from a PEC for "free."
Wouldn't that be grand/great if they did so? Just go online place a reservation, get in the que and be asked where you want to pickup your new ride when avail or at the PEC or European delivery/factory? Maybe one day. Otherwise spot on for finding a car now a days...not just a P-car but many brands are having the same issues expected to last thru 2022 for the most part.
Sponsored