Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I am just bumping this old thread having seen mention on here of eco and eco plus air con and then done a search.

I still don't fully understand it.
I only see the option of a/c or eco when driving round in Normal or Sport mode. I seldom use Range mode - although the car sometimes selects it itself on longer journeys.
Is that the only time eco plus becomes an option, or does it switch it on automatically?

Can anyone explain what the difference is please (UK RWD with heat pump / no Sport Chrono).

?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I believe A/C has the compressor running continuosly, AC Eco shuts it off intermittently like most modern ICE cars when floored, and AC Eco Plus keeps it off as much as it can. AC Eco Plus will not be able to cool down an overheated car after it is parked in 40°C for a while.

Reactions: B61

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I believe A/C has the compressor running continuosly, AC Eco shuts it off intermittently like most modern ICE cars when floored, and AC Eco Plus keeps it off as much as it can. AC Eco Plus will not be able to cool down an overheated car after it is parked in 40°C for a while.
Plus ECO mode will not cool the battery as well either. If you charge at a HPC in the summer, it is NOT recommended to use ECO mode until the battery has cooled down. Stated in the Good to Know app.

Reactions: B61

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I am just bumping this old thread having seen mention on here of eco and eco plus air con and then done a search.

I still don't fully understand it.
I only see the option of a/c or eco when driving round in Normal or Sport mode. I seldom use Range mode - although the car sometimes selects it itself on longer journeys.
Is that the only time eco plus becomes an option, or does it switch it on automatically?

Can anyone explain what the difference is please (UK RWD with heat pump / no Sport Chrono).

?
This time of year in UK you can't exist on either ECO or ECO Plus (Range Mode configuration) as the compressor is throttled back (air doesn't dry) and does not clear the humidity and hence you will fog up.

It will increase range - AC OFF (significant increase) - ECO PLUS (decent increase) - ECO (increase) - AC ON (significant decrease).

ECO - Rear seat unoccupied, AC in rear disabled, uses less energy but takes longer to heat / cool

ECO PLUS - Range mode option - most AC functions disabled (fan speed etc) and limited air flow

ECO is the default for RANGE mode but is user configurable to go 'nuclear' and set ECO PLUS.

Not model dependent - same feature set across the range and does additional things when rear AC is also installed as an option.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
This time of year in UK you can't exist on either ECO or ECO Plus (Range Mode configuration) as the compressor is throttled back (air doesn't dry) and does not clear the humidity and hence you will fog up.

It will increase range - AC OFF (significant increase) - ECO PLUS (decent increase) - ECO (increase) - AC ON (significant decrease).

ECO - Rear seat unoccupied, AC in rear disabled, uses less energy but takes longer to heat / cool

ECO PLUS - Range mode option - most AC functions disabled (fan speed etc) and limited air flow

ECO is the default for RANGE mode but is user configurable to go 'nuclear' and set ECO PLUS.

Not model dependent - same feature set across the range and does additional things when rear AC is also installed as an option.
the only time that I will engage the ECO modes is while on a longer drive at higher speeds. for shorter trips the savings in range is not worth the bother to push the button.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Eco Plus does indeed seem to turn off the AC compressor. In addition to meaning you can only cool to at best the outside air temperature, you cannot reduce the humidity level inside the car. This will adversely affect comfort, and if the glass gets cool enough (e.g. shady day, cool day, rain) you can have condensation on the inside. I'd bet the actual range impact from Eco vs. Eco Plus is small - on the order of 5-10 miles on a full charge. I have no data to support this guess.
According to Porsche's figures AC Eco increases range by 54 km at 20C ambient (68F). AC off altogether 71 km. It gains more if the ambient is hotter and less when cooler.
No surprises really.

Here in the UK I almost never use AC, in fact it was not available on many cars at all when I was young.
Switching it off gives a significant improvement in fuel consumption too on a normal car FWIW.

Sometimes I use it to de-mist the windscreen if it is very humid, but that is very rare, probably the worst is if I have my wet dog in the car but then open window is a better bet :)

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Don’t know for cooling since I got my ct4 in late September, but in such weatherr, I even prefer ECO+.
actually, I start withAC for a few minutes to warm the car, then I switch to Range mode (or manually to eco) If I’m alone.
Using only AC makes me even too hot (i set 21.5C) and i prefer lower temperature…I don;t know, but somehow I feel better with ECO+ than AC in the same temperature setting.

Last edited:

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag

In my 2022 4S, in normal mode I can switch the AC to the following settings:
AC
AC/ECO
ECO
OFF
In Range Mode, also have option for ECO PLUS.
What does the AC/ECO setting do?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
In my 2022 4S, in normal mode I can switch the AC to the following settings:
AC
AC/ECO
ECO
OFF
In Range Mode, also have option for ECO PLUS.
What does the AC/ECO setting do?
Good question.....
I never use Range mode so assumed AC/ECO was what people referred to as ECO PLUS on here.
Keen to hear the answer.
Sponsored