OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just following up. I did end up placing some small pieces of hard foam between the door and the door panel and finally took the car for a long drive today and there was no rattle! Very satisfying. Thank you @chrisk! I honestly may just leave it be at this point as this has been a subtle rattle that the dealership has thus far not been able to reproduce. I could probably push the issue all the way to getting a new door panel, but would that definitely fix it or would it cause further problems in the process? May be best to just let sleeping dogs lie.
I am not convinced that new door panels will fix the rattles. The problem is the poor mounting method that allows for the gaps and play.
I also decided to leave the foams and call it a day. At one door, the foam became a little loose after two weeks and I had to add a little more but other than that it is holding well so far.
Sponsored

nelsonmanha

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag
love the work on the solution… just don t like you spent over 100k and subpar car issues. Maybe porsche needs to hire some Kia employees!!!!! lol - Jokes aside- what did the dealer say about the door rattles?

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
love the work on the solution… just don t like you spent over 100k and subpar car issues. Maybe porsche needs to hire some Kia employees!!!!! lol - Jokes aside- what did the dealer say about the door rattles?
After the dealer having the car for 2 days they thought they diagnosed the major rattle from the door led strip and added foam there. They were totally wrong. They also "could not diagnose" the other rattles and at that time I could not drive togetwith the mechanic to reproduce the issue due to covid restrictions. The dealer service has been totally useless so far for both the rattles and all intermittent software issues.

So I fixed the doors myself. Unfortunately the rattles from the driver seat trim, B pillar, dash speaker grills and the rear view mirror housing are getting worse, so I might eventually have to fix those too. Basically almost every trim rattles once in a while.
I have had other Porsches before and they had absolutely no rattles even after many years. I am not sure why the interior build quality of my Taycan is so bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: D00

Gambler

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN 4
Country flag
I just came back from the dealer the rattles was driving me nuts. This what they did

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles tempImageqrBkc7

Last edited:
OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just came back from the dealer the rattles was driving me nuts. They what they did

tempImageqrBkc7.png
Did it fix your rattles? Can you also circle back after a month?
Usually removing and installing the door panels fixes the issue temporarily but it comes back because the gap is still there by design (i.e. it is a bad design).

Gambler

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN 4
Country flag
Sure, I can check in a month and see. I'm not sure if they placed some foam inside the panel, despite they didn't mention as such in the report. I would assume they can't put it in writing, as foaming is not porsche standard approach. Could be also the clips as they re-inserted them right.
Who knows!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sure, I can check in in a month and see. I'm not sure if they placed some foam inside the panel, despite they didn't mention as such in the report. I would assume they can't put it in writing, as foaming is not porsche standard approach. Could be also the clips as they re-inserted them right.
Who knows!!
Your dealer certainly did a better job. Mine just touched the passenger door and ignored the others. Btw, they wrote in my service order that they added foam so it is up to Porsche's standards :p

esortho

First Name
Soren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just dropped off my MY2020 for the big software upgrade and the service tech said that they are working "with the Factory" on a proper Porsche-standard solution for this. It's a known issue and it sounded like it will require exchange of the door insides.

Gambler

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN 4
Country flag
Quick update 2 weeks later after they fixed the rattle. The rattle is better 80% but not 100%. Therefore, I duct taped all wire tubes which goes to the 4 doors. The reason was they rattle on bumps, and once I move them up / down, I can hear the rattle noise. Hopefully this could fix the issue permanently

FLGolfer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Some background
My Taycan's passenger door and the passenger side rear door rattle badly. I have taken the car to the dealer and they said the passenger door ratted from the light strip. They put foam tape around the strip wire harness which fixed the issue for about two weeks but the rattle came back.
The dealer was wrong, the root cause was not the light strip itself.The reason why the rattles went away temporarily was not the foam tape. It was because they removed and reinstalled the panel.

The root cause
The root cause is the poor fit of the door panel and the fact that it is not held tightly with screws or plastic rivets.
There is a significant gap between the panel and the door chassis, and the door panel can move and rattle. When I push in the panel with my hand it moves and rattles. This happens in 2 of the 4 doors!

My fix
I squeezed some foam between the panel and the door chassis and eliminated the movement of the panel.
All rattles are gone. I used foam used for childproofing furniture :) and plastic upholstery removal tools. I will carefully trim the foam to make it flush with the panel so it will be less noticeable but I wanted to take the pictures before trimming.

It is unfortunate that I have to do this in such an expensive car but it is better than the rattles that drive my crazy. It is also easy enough and it can be done without removing the panel.
Now I can only hear the B-pillar and the driver seat rattles..

20210323_094133.jpg

20210323_094138.jpg

20210323_094149.jpg

20210323_094213.jpg

20210323_094323.jpg

FLGolfer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have the same problem on my 2021 Turbo S. It drives me crazy, especially when a passenger in the rear seat comments on it. I will definitely try your fix.

Where did you get the upholstery tools? I supposed I could find something very similar in plastic

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
Some background
My Taycan's passenger door and the passenger side rear door rattle badly. I have taken the car to the dealer and they said the passenger door ratted from the light strip. They put foam tape around the strip wire harness which fixed the issue for about two weeks but the rattle came back.
The dealer was wrong, the root cause was not the light strip itself.The reason why the rattles went away temporarily was not the foam tape. It was because they removed and reinstalled the panel.

The root cause
The root cause is the poor fit of the door panel and the fact that it is not held tightly with screws or plastic rivets.
There is a significant gap between the panel and the door chassis, and the door panel can move and rattle. When I push in the panel with my hand it moves and rattles. This happens in 2 of the 4 doors!

My fix
I squeezed some foam between the panel and the door chassis and eliminated the movement of the panel.
All rattles are gone. I used foam used for childproofing furniture :) and plastic upholstery removal tools. I will carefully trim the foam to make it flush with the panel so it will be less noticeable but I wanted to take the pictures before trimming.

It is unfortunate that I have to do this in such an expensive car but it is better than the rattles that drive my crazy. It is also easy enough and it can be done without removing the panel.
Now I can only hear the B-pillar and the driver seat rattles..

20210323_094133.jpg

20210323_094138.jpg

20210323_094149.jpg

20210323_094213.jpg

20210323_094323.jpg
Chris, can you provide links to the tools and foam material you used? Thanks. Steve

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Where did you get the upholstery tools? I supposed I could find something very similar in plastic
Chris, can you provide links to the tools and foam material you used? Thanks. Steve
You can search Amazon for "plastic pry tools". Here is one cheap set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2WNW1Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_VY71BCFEXZNPKCW4H6M2

For the foam I used leftover baby proofing edge foam like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQT344B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_8KV5BW8QT183MD0S5CH9

Good luck and let us know how it worked.

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m bringing this kit into the dealer when mine finally arrives! :)
I hope the new cars will not rattle like mine so you might not need it. I am also sure dealers have similar tools. They are pretty standard.
Sponsored