How I fixed the door rattles

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
My local service center basically applied these fixes to my Taycan 4S, using felt instead of foam, and for the most part, it works. My question is, is this an acceptable long-term/permanent solution/repair for such an expensive car? I have visible felt (black) on my both front doors-- I'm not very happy with that but my expectations may be too high-- checking here to see what others think. Thanks!
if the felt is visible then IMHO it isn't a proper fix. my dealership packed foam and it is invisible under the b pillar cover.
Sponsored

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
First read my post in the top of this thread. It should fix 90% of the rattles.

If you have minor rattles left keep reading. I removed the door panel to examine what is causing the rattles. The panel is flimsy like a card board. The panel is not one piece, it is three pieces attached together. See photo to identify the 3 pieces. Because the construction is flimsy the three parts move and flex independently and their joins rattle and squeak. Per original post, adding foam between the door chasis and the panel minimizes the movement and fixes the rattles. In addition you can add rigid foam in the joins of the 3 parts. In my case that helped resolve the remaining 10%.

I also found a cover on the bottom part of the driver's seat to have some play and rattle a bit and I added foam there too. See photo.

Last but not least, I did not see any part of the door to be made in Germany. The door chassis was made in Spain, some plastics in Austria. I bought a Porsche Taycan, not a SEAT Leon, but yeah they are all in VW group.

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles 20210724_133826

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles 20210724_132601

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles 20210724_134000

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles 20210724_131159

Last edited:

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
First read my post in the top of this thread. It should fix 90% of the rattles.

If you have minor rattles left keep reading. I removed the door panel to examine what is causing the rattles. The panel is flimsy like a card board. The panel is not one piece, it is three pieces attached together. See photo to identify the 3 pieces. Because the construction is flimsy the three parts move and flex independently and their joins rattle and squeak. Per original post, adding foam between the door chasis and the panel minimizes the movement and fixes the rattles. In addition you can add rigid foam in the joins of the 3 parts. In my case that helped resolve the remaining 10%.

I also found a cover on the bottom part of the driver's seat to have some play and rattle a bit and I added foam there too. See photo.

Last but not least, I did not see any part of the door to be made in Germany. The door chassis was made in Spain, some plastics in Austria. I bought a Porsche Taycan, not a SEAT Leon, but yeah they are all in VW group.

20210724_133826.jpg

20210724_132601.jpg

20210724_134000.jpg

20210724_131159.jpg
Thank you for this. Just to confirm, you have applied all of these fixes (foam) yourself, and are not asking the service folks/dealership to do anything more? I have another appointment scheduled for the recall, and they're supposed to look at the remaining rattles as well. They're talking about replacing door panels or insulating from inside of the panel, vs. the felt (visible) that they have already used.

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you for this. Just to confirm, you have applied all of these fixes (foam) yourself, and are not asking the service folks/dealership to do anything more? I have another appointment scheduled for the recall, and they're supposed to look at the remaining rattles as well. They're talking about replacing door panels or insulating from inside of the panel, vs. the felt (visible) that they have already used.
Yes I added the rigid foam in all places myself.
My car was at the dealer twice for the rattles. The first time they applied a tiny quantity of foam tape to the wrong position only at one door and the issue was not fixed. The other time they claimed they could not reproduce... I don't think they want to spend time on taking panes apart and fix rattles when they have a queue of Taycans that wait for software updates and other fixes.

If your dealer is willing to order new door panels then that is great. The new door panels might be more sturdy if they have improved their assembly quality and that would be the best solution. Insulating from inside is also a good solution but requires to remove every door panel which is more work that I did not want to do for each panel.

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes I added the rigid foam in all places myself.
My car was at the dealer twice for the rattles. The first time they applied a tiny quantity of foam tape to the wrong position only at one door and the issue was not fixed. The other time they claimed they could not reproduce... I don't think they want to spend time on taking panes apart and fix rattles when they have a queue of Taycans that wait for software updates and other fixes.

If your dealer is willing to order new door panels then that is great. The new door panels might be more sturdy if they have improved their assembly quality and that would be the best solution. Insulating from inside is also a good solution but requires to remove every door panel which is more work that I did not want to do for each panel.
Got it. Update: your new fixes solved my remaining driver’s side noise- THANK YOU! Was driving me nuts. I think it was the seat. What do you have for the instrument cluster rattle? ? Half joking- I only hear those rattles on rough roads in Sport or Sport Plus for the most part.

Last edited:

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Got it. Update: your new fixes solved my remaining driver’s side noise- THANK YOU! Was driving me nuts. I think it was the seat. What do you have for the instrument cluster rattle? ? Half joking- I only hear those rattles on rough roads in Sport or Sport Plus for the most part.
Oh I also have the instrument panel rattle and I also pushed some foam on its base. I will take some photos tomorrow and share here. It improved it 70% but not completely.

Everything on this car rattles. It is ridiculous. I have also fixed a couple of speaker covers and the driver's B pillar.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Oh I also have the instrument panel rattle and I also pushed some foam on its base. I will take some photos tomorrow and share here. It improved it 70% but not completely.

Everything on this car rattles. It is ridiculous. I have also fixed a couple of speaker covers and the driver's B pillar.
the rattles in the B pillar are common and is easily remedied, take the cover off and pack the voids with foam.
do you get the headrest rattle?

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is hard to take photos of the back of the instrument cluster. I squeezed foam on both corners. You need a tool to push the foam. I used my plastic upholstery tools that do not scratch surfaces.

Porsche Taycan How I fixed the door rattles 20210726_085154

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can you get it all fixed?
The dealer has failed twice to address the rattles. The first time they reproduced but their fix did not fix anything. After that they "cannot reproduce"...
So I am fixing as much as I can on my own.

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is hard to take photos of the back of the instrument cluster. I squeezed foam on both corners. You need a tool to push the foam. I used my plastic upholstery tools that do not scratch surfaces.

20210726_085154.jpg
Thank you!! I will try it out. Crazy that we're sticking foam and felt in such an expensive car, but whatever works I suppose! :)

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you!! I will try it out. Crazy that we're sticking foam and felt in such an expensive car, but whatever works I suppose! :)
yes whatever works to be able to drive with as few rattles as possible until my lease expires... Lesson learnt, next time I will not blindly assume that a Porsche's interior is rattle free..

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
yes whatever works to be able to drive with as few rattles as possible until my lease expires... Lesson learnt, next time I will not blindly assume that a Porsche's interior is rattle free..
My older P-cars never had rattles. 996 turbo, 996 C4 cabriolet, 970 turbo, 991.1 cabriolet. 2021 Cayenne GTS is UBER tight. Seriously, it's put together extremely well.

Knock on wood my '21 Taycan is rattle-free..... for now.

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My older P-cars never had rattles. 996 turbo, 996 C4 cabriolet, 970 turbo, 991.1 cabriolet. 2021 Cayenne GTS is UBER tight. Seriously, it's put together extremely well.

Knock on wood my '21 Taycan is rattle-free..... for now.
Yes, same thing with my old Macan and every Macan or Cayenne I had for loaners (and trust me I had about 15 loaners in last 4 years). Every single one of them was very well built. Unfortunately, my Taycan is the exact opposite.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Interesting. My father and brother have both had multiple Porsches (996, Cayman), and they all had rattles.
Sponsored