superflytnt

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Two weeks after I drove off with my new Taycan 4S I began hearing the same rattling noise described here. The service manager at my dealership told me he's seen this before in other Taycans. He says the rattle is due to how Porsche assembled the door panels, using something that sounds an awful lot like hot glue to hold certain pieces together. The problem therein is that this glue leads to separating so you have interior door panel parts that should be held tightly together now vibrating while driving, going over bumps, or even listening to music. He said that Porsche has since changed the way they hold the door panels together using rivets instead of this glue-like material. Unfortunately for me, this means I have to leave my poor baby at the dealership for WEEKS while Porsche Germany assembles and ships new door panels to Virginia for my Taycan. The service manager was very confident and convincing that this was indeed the problem. I'll post back disappointingly if he was wrong.

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Two weeks after I drove off with my new Taycan 4S I began hearing the same rattling noise described here. The service manager at my dealership told me he's seen this before in other Taycans. He says the rattle is due to how Porsche assembled the door panels, using something that sounds an awful lot like hot glue to hold certain pieces together. The problem therein is that this glue leads to separating so you have interior door panel parts that should be held tightly together now vibrating while driving, going over bumps, or even listening to music. He said that Porsche has since changed the way they hold the door panels together using rivets instead of this glue-like material. Unfortunately for me, this means I have to leave my poor baby at the dealership for WEEKS while Porsche Germany assembles and ships new door panels to Virginia for my Taycan. The service manager was very confident and convincing that this was indeed the problem. I'll post back disappointingly if he was wrong.
Why can't you drive your car till the new panels arrive?

Unfortunately for me it is not just the door panels. It is both B-pillars, the instrument cluster housing, some speaker cover grills, the center console cover behind the windshield camera, driver seat, etc. When the cars sits under the sun and gets hot, the rattles are even worst. I fixed the door panel and now I can hear everything else.

My car is in service (again) and I have a Macan loaner and it is immediately noticeable how much better the interior build quality is. Nothing rattles and everything is well put together like any other Porsche car (excluding Taycans) I have driven .

Last edited:

superflytnt

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Unfortunately it is not just the door panels for me. It is almost every plastic trim including both B-pillars, the instrument cluster housing, some speaker cover grills, the center console cover behind the windshield camera, all door, etc. When the cars sit under the sun and gets hot, the rattles get even worst. I fixed the door panel and now I can hear everything else.

My car is in service (again) and I have a Macan loaner and it is immediately noticeable how much better the interior build quality is. Nothing rattles and everything is well put together like any other Porsche car (excluding Taycans) I have driven .
This is disappointing to say the least. I've literally had this car for three weeks and for the last week it's been in the shop. I've never owned a car that already had this many issues so quickly after driving it off the lot (noise, PCM problems, app issues, list goes on). This is my first (and possibly
Why can't you drive your car till the new panels arrive?

Unfortunately for me it is not just the door panels. It is both B-pillars, the instrument cluster housing, some speaker cover grills, the center console cover behind the windshield camera, driver seat, etc. When the cars sits under the sun and gets hot, the rattles are even worst. I fixed the door panel and now I can hear everything else.

I certainly could drive it, but they gave me a loaner Taycan (base model) that doesn't have those rattles and doesn't give me anxiety. My 4S also has a few other PCM related issues so they wanted to hold onto it to resolve those in the meantime. That's unfortunate to hear about all the other rattles you're experiencing. I leave my car out in the driveway where it gets pummeled with sun, especially now. I'm wondering now if that not only led to my current rattling problem, but if it will lead to further rattles as you're mentioning, as time goes on. I hope not...

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is disappointing to say the least. I've literally had this car for three weeks and for the last week it's been in the shop. I've never owned a car that already had this many issues so quickly after driving it off the lot (noise, PCM problems, app issues, list goes on). This is my first (and possibly
You are not alone. My car is at the shop again for PCM/software issues and rattles too.

Icyfraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2WD
Country flag
You are not alone. My car is at the shop again for PCM/software issues and rattles too.
Interesting readings folks....I've had a rattle from passenger door from Day 1 collection 10 weeks ago....been in 4 times now...rattle comes back everytime. First time porsche owner and disappointed with quality niggles on a £100k plus car !

FLGolfer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag

I certainly could drive it, but they gave me a loaner Taycan (base model) that doesn't have those rattles and doesn't give me anxiety. My 4S also has a few other PCM related issues so they wanted to hold onto it to resolve those in the meantime. That's unfortunate to hear about all the other rattles you're experiencing. I leave my car out in the driveway where it gets pummeled with sun, especially now. I'm wondering now if that not only led to my current rattling problem, but if it will lead to further rattles as you're mentioning, as time goes on. I hope not...
I garage my car every night, and during the day when I'm not out. Right rear door rattles. It's a quality issue. Very disappointing.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
there is no need to wait weeks. on my car they took off the plastic cover, stuffed some foam in and stopped the loose parts from moving and rattling.

superflytnt

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
there is no need to wait weeks. on my car they took off the plastic cover, stuffed some foam in and stopped the loose parts from moving and rattling.
That's cray cray because that's exactly what I asked them if they could do. lol. They told me "no", "needs new door panels". ETA is one month. They said the senior regional Taycan tech guy is gonna be there next week (supposedly he travels around like the Fuller Brush Man) and I'm gonna show him this thread and pick his brain. I agree, it sounds like there should be a much simpler fix for this. Thanks!

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
That's cray cray because that's exactly what I asked them if they could do. lol. They told me "no", "needs new door panels". ETA is one month. They said the senior regional Taycan tech guy is gonna be there next week (supposedly he travels around like the Fuller Brush Man) and I'm gonna show him this thread and pick his brain. I agree, it sounds like there should be a much simpler fix for this. Thanks!
all service centers and techs are not created equally.

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
all service centers and techs are not created equally.
So true. I had the car in service twice for the rattles. Once they could not reproduce... and the other time they did but their foam fix did not fix anything.
So I guess my experience is worst than both of you.

kwanyu

First Name
Kwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Audi Q7, M235 conv., Z4
Country flag
I have rattles too, and irritates me like crazy. I'm gonna try Chrisk's fix with some foam and report back.

In all fairness to Porsche, part of the reason the rattle is more obvious is obviously because there is less noise from a BEV than an ICE car.

Sometimes I just fix the rattle while I'm driving by turning up the music. At least my rattles don't resonate at the same frequency as the music's bass.

superflytnt

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have rattles too, and irritates me like crazy. I'm gonna try Chrisk's fix with some foam and report back.

In all fairness to Porsche, part of the reason the rattle is more obvious is obviously because there is less noise from a BEV than an ICE car.

Sometimes I just fix the rattle while I'm driving by turning up the music. At least my rattles don't resonate at the same frequency as the music's bass.
I can confirm that the foam fix works too. Instead of waiting two months for new door panels I picked up my car at the other day and cut two pieces of high density foam Out of some packing material I had lying around. I shoved two pieces into the door towards the bottom right corner of the passenger side door panel. There might be a teeny tiny rattle when I really crank the music up and it looks sort of ghetto, but overall it’s pretty much fixed for now.

Gambler

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN 4
Country flag
A quick update on this Rattle nonsense issue. As you may recall I took the car almost 6 weeks ago to the dealer and they try to fix the rattle (prior post). The rattle was 70% better, after the dealer visit. Almost 3 days ago, I heard heavy rattle from the front passenger side, So I end up placing the foam as suggested by @chrisk and ducked taped all 4 doors wire tube which goes inside the door panel. This solved the rattle I would say by 90%, which I can handle. Thanks @chrisk much appreciated

Last edited:

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My local service center basically applied these fixes to my Taycan 4S, using felt instead of foam, and for the most part, it works. My question is, is this an acceptable long-term/permanent solution/repair for such an expensive car? I have visible felt (black) on my both front doors-- I'm not very happy with that but my expectations may be too high-- checking here to see what others think. Thanks!
Sponsored