captainlk

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If I set the destination or stopover as a charger shown in the Porsche sat nav the car will preheat the battery. But if I want to stop at a charger not shown in the navigation, is there a way to get the car to preheat for that stop?

I thought of two things that might work:

1) Add a non-charging stopover in the nav
2) Set the stopover for a nearby 22kw charger and just go to the one I want instead

Will either of these work?
Sponsored

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
The second option will work. It is the only solution I can think of, however I don't really use chargers away from home. I am not aware of any other way to force it to pre-heat. Assuming of course that it pre-heats for a 22kW charger.

paulbroere

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.paulbroere.com
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo, BMW Z4M Roadster
Country flag
The second option will work. It is the only solution I can think of, however I don't really use chargers away from home. I am not aware of any other way to force it to pre-heat. Assuming of course that it pre-heats for a 22kW charger.
It will only pre-heat for DC charging (I read somewhere even only dc charging above a certain power level, I think >150kW, not sure about this number though.
but you van indeed select a known charger nearby to preheat (dc fast), and go to the unkown charger instead.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I believe that battery pre-conditioning only occurs when a DC charging station of at least 50kw is shown as charging stop in the route in the nav system. Read "charging planner" topic in manual in the app for the at least 50kw wording.

Others in here have said you can raise battery temp yourself by switching into sport modes and doing some heavy acceleration enroute.

Reactions: B61

Deleted member 6348

It’s not going to do any pre-heating for a charger less than 150kw.

High output chargers where per-heating is relevant are already in the Nav.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
If you have sport chrono, you can put it in sport+ mode and the battery heating will target a higher temp (73F). Not quite the ideal 86F for max charging power but combined with some driving it'll likely get up to that temp much faster.
Porsche Taycan How to get battery to preheat for charger not recognised by Porsche nav EA9958D9-C4F0-47BD-B9A6-237059631B55

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
If I set the destination or stopover as a charger shown in the Porsche sat nav the car will preheat the battery. But if I want to stop at a charger not shown in the navigation, is there a way to get the car to preheat for that stop?

I thought of two things that might work:

1) Add a non-charging stopover in the nav
2) Set the stopover for a nearby 22kw charger and just go to the one I want instead

Will either of these work?
Preconditioning / preheat of the battery only works for DC charging as mentioned and when triggering via NAV only works for EVSEs >=50kW (covered in the owners manual).

Driving in a spirited way ie like you stoke it would heat things up assuming you had sufficient time / range to do it before charging.

AC charging is much slower and requires conversion to DC before the battery actually charges and I don't think that a preconditioned battery would speed up charging speed materially to make it worthwhile. More energy could be used in preheating which would take longer than to recharge the battery overall.

Choosing a DC EVSE nearby might help but it is likely a trade-off then as you'd have to replenish what you'd consumed in preconditioning and therefore take longer overall to reach the same charge as opposed to just charging at whatever temperature the battery happened to be.
Sponsored