Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
So I understand that if you use the Porsche navigation and set chargers as destinations or waypoints, the car will warm the battery ready for your arrival to get the best possible charge rate.

What if I decide last min to charge or aren’t using the navigation? Today for example I was near a Porsche centre when setting off and decided to grab 15 mins on a 350kw charger even though I didn’t need charging to get me home..mainly as an excuse to catch up on emails for 15 mins. Is there a way of telling the car “I want to charge soon, get ready”?
Sponsored

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Sport plus mode should do the trick. But it will still take some time.

WindsurfUS1111

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD; 2023 Rivian R1S; 2018 Volvo XC90
Country flag
I just say -

"Hey Porsche - warm the battery! And the system responds - "battery will be warm soon."

I'm assuming that does it for pre-warming the battery prior to a charging station

OP
OP
Dabz

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Hmm thanks, I'll enable voice commands again and try that :)

Dave Birch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s cross turismo
Country flag
I just say -

"Hey Porsche - warm the battery! And the system responds - "battery will be warm soon."

I'm assuming that does it for pre-warming the battery prior to a charging station
Well I never, that’s clever. I must try Hey Porsche make me a latte

OP
OP
Dabz

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Any idea if there's a button press alternative to talking to the car?

LotusPhil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG C43, Mustang Mach E, Hopefully a Taycan soon..
Country flag
My two kids have discovered “Hey Porsche” and they have a whole arsenal of inane questions that get asked. “Hey Porsche are you happy? “ gets an amusing reply 🙄

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
My two kids have discovered “Hey Porsche” and they have a whole arsenal of inane questions that get asked. “Hey Porsche are you happy? “ gets an amusing reply 🙄
She seems rather tense to me. Same voice as on my A6 Allroad. I’m concerned for her.

Dr Bob

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I just say -

Ok, I tried this - and on my car I'm sure she is right ........but its all about interpretation.
Its 10am this morning after a cool night. Ambient temp is 13°C and battery temp is 12°C. I am 10 mins from the charger. I say "warm the battery" and she says "the battery will be warmer soon". Ok great.
10 mins later the battery is still at 12°C. Duh! Yes it will get warmer this afternnon and definitely warmer next summer - and its warming up as I charge - so she was right. It will get warmer soon - its all about how you define 'soon'.

Certainly not a way to preheat the battery.

Anyone got data on how fast a battery will go from say 10°C to 20°C if I put it into Sport mode? Not had the car long enough yet to test it.

At least the Taycan has more flexibility in warming the battery than my previous car (a Tesla M3) which had no control over battery temp. Changing driving modes gives you some control.

Dr Bob

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Sport mode heats up to 13°C, Sport Plus to 23°C

battery heating in various modes:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-recognised-by-porsche-nav.14104/#post-212208
Thanks Johann,
I had seen that graph but didnt understand it. The DCFC temp is nearly the same as the 'Sport' mode heating on that graph but surely the preheat for a charge on a DC charger takes the battery up to 30°C plus?

The graph says the optimum battery temp (I assume for charging) is 30°C - or 86°F - but the graph suggests the preheat only takes it to 13°C/53°F. Am I reading it correctly?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Certainly not a way to preheat the battery.

Anyone got data on how fast a battery will go from say 10°C to 20°C if I put it into Sport mode? Not had the car long enough yet to test it.
10 minuters is far, far too short time! You are asking the car to het up about 700 kg of battery pack!

Try it at that temperature with about 30 minutes to go before you reach the charger!

Dr Bob

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
10 minuters is far, far too short time! You are asking the car to het up about 700 kg of battery pack!

Try it at that temperature with about 30 minutes to go before you reach the charger!
But if its going to go up 10°C (or more?) in 30 mins, it should go up at least a couple of degrees in 10 minutes. I put it on a 7Kw charger and it went up 3 °C in 2 minutes of charge. I know the temp increase on charging is largely down to the internal heat generated inside the cells and not the external heating but it shows a large mass can be heated in 10 mins.

I've also read on here that pre-heat is done 20 mins before you get to the charger so all the heating must be done in 20 mins, so again, you should see a response in 10 mins.

Again, what temperature does the preconditioning get up to normally? (Is there a norm?)

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The ideal temperature that the battery gets to and can charge at 270 kW seems to be somewhere up to 40 C! So quite a lot,of energy needed for that!

Dr Bob

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag

....and so today I asked My porsche to warm the battery (with about a 20 min run ahead of me) and she resonded "Your battery will be cooler soon"!

It's a load of porkies!
Sponsored