Socks

First Name
Candi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Just took delivery and while this video may already be referenced on the forum, I followed this approach including testing the un/checking of profiles and timers to ensure my car wouldn’t charge over 85% (at least while at home, which is where I’ll be doing most my charging):

I just tried and it didn’t do what the video says..very frustrating. It keeps going to100
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I just tried and it didn’t do what the video says..very frustrating. It keeps going to100
You must also include a departure timer to control the ending (departure / ready by ) time of the charging session. Make it daily - will only be effective when connected to your EVSE..

Also check that you don't have other active and conflicting profiles and timers.

1 profile + 1 timer = problem solved

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I’m afraid this is even less straightforward now. I have an EVSE that is controlled by my electricity provider’s software (Tibber), and have experimented with different settings to get charging at optimal times (price varies by hour in Norway). It has not worked well: often picking the wrong hours for charging, not reaching desired SoC, or overshooting. Now I am back to one profile at 25% minimum and one repeating profile for all days at 85%. It overshoots: I had to stop it manually at 96% SoC yesterday.

So even though the theory is clear, practice may be more varied. Any helpful suggestions are welcome.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’m afraid this is even less straightforward now. I have an EVSE that is controlled by my electricity provider’s software (Tibber), and have experimented with different settings to get charging at optimal times (price varies by hour in Norway). It has not worked well: often picking the wrong hours for charging, not reaching desired SoC, or overshooting. Now I am back to one profile at 25% minimum and one repeating profile for all days at 85%. It overshoots: I had to stop it manually at 96% SoC yesterday.

So even though the theory is clear, practice may be more varied. Any helpful suggestions are welcome.
Unless you can disable any scheduling within your Tibber unit you will most likely run into issues as it will 'compete' with your PCM timers and profiles.

Typically there is a way to override the EVSE and set it in 'dumb' mode.

Are you sure that programming can't be disabled?

In UK we can have hourly rate changes depending on electricity provider. One in particular, OVO, provides an app called Charge Anytime which automatically connects to the PCM and creates its own profile and timer allowing the owner to set departure time and charge level. The car will then automatically charge at the cheapest level anytime during a 24 hour period when rates are lowest updating both profile and timer as needed automatically. Other existing profiles and timers are disabled. Plug in and forget. It is fantastic and works really well. Perhaps Tibber offers similar integration?

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Unless you can disable any scheduling within your Tibber unit you will most likely run into issues as it will 'compete' with your PCM timers and profiles.

Typically there is a way to override the EVSE and set it in 'dumb' mode.

Are you sure that programming can't be disabled?

In UK we can have hourly rate changes depending on electricity provider. One in particular, OVO, provides an app called Charge Anytime which automatically connects to the PCM and creates its own profile and timer allowing the owner to set departure time and charge level. The car will then automatically charge at the cheapest level anytime during a 24 hour period when rates are lowest updating both profile and timer as needed automatically. Other existing profiles and timers are disabled. Plug in and forget. It is fantastic and works really well. Perhaps Tibber offers similar integration?
Thanks! Your description of what OVO do matches my expectations for the Tibber system. But Tibber have not managed it yet, they say Porsche have made changes to the API for this and are doing some reprogramming. Great to know that OVO makes it work. I’ll make contact with Tibber again.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks! Your description of what OVO do matches my expectations for the Tibber system. But Tibber have not managed it yet, they say Porsche have made changes to the API for this and are doing some reprogramming. Great to know that OVO makes it work. I’ll make contact with Tibber again.
I should add that I use the PMCC as my EVSE but as the OVO setup is EVSE agnostic (assume dumb mode) it just works.

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I should add that I use the PMCC as my EVSE but as the OVO setup is EVSE agnostic (assume dumb mode) it just works.
Tibber can control (or should be able to control) several different EVSEs, my is from Easee. Hope they can make it all work the OVO way.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Tibber can control (or should be able to control) several different EVSEs, my is from Easee. Hope they can make it all work the OVO way.
Control should be on the PCM and not the EVSE on the basis that the car / PCM controls the charging process.

EVSE provides the juice and anything "clever" controlling the EVSE will inevitably be problematic in my view.

Have you tried using the Porsche supplied EVSE with your setup?

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Control should be on the PCM and not the EVSE on the basis that the car / PCM controls the charging process.

EVSE provides the juice and anything "clever" controlling the EVSE will inevitably be problematic in my view.

Have you tried using the Porsche supplied EVSE with your setup?
I see that I used the wrong words for what Tibber intends to do. They have an app, it shows electricity use per 10-second interval, and they control charging. The EVSE is in a dumb mode, they interface with the car’s timer(s) and profile(s) to (try to) make it charge at the optimum times. But it has failed often lately. I hope the fact that OVO does this well can make them find a solution.

By the way, do you set desired SoC in the OVO app (so that OVO programming takes it to the car) or in the PCM?

I have not tried the Porsche supplied EVSE. Electricity supply is hardwired to the Easee EVSE, I would have had to use an outlet that is not legal for regular charging with a suitable amperage. Do you think it would give better control? Re my corrected description of Tibber/Easee above.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I see that I used the wrong words for what Tibber intends to do. They have an app, it shows electricity use per 10-second interval, and they control charging. The EVSE is in a dumb mode, they interface with the car’s timer(s) and profile(s) to (try to) make it charge at the optimum times. But it has failed often lately. I hope the fact that OVO does this well can make them find a solution.

By the way, do you set desired SoC in the OVO app (so that OVO programming takes it to the car) or in the PCM?

I have not tried the Porsche supplied EVSE. Electricity supply is hardwired to the Easee EVSE, I would have had to use an outlet that is not legal for regular charging with a suitable amperage. Do you think it would give better control? Re my corrected description of Tibber/Easee above.
That makes sense now.

Departure time, minimum charge and target charge set in the OVO app - all other timers / profiles are disabled. Creates a profile called 'ENODE'. Immediate charge is also possible from the app if needed.

I have a dedicated 32A supply from my main fuse board straight to my PMCC which has the 32A receptacle (rather than the 16A which on early cars was supplied). This gives me a max of 7.4kW on a UK single phase supply. PMCC will support 22kW but I would need a 3 phase supply for that - std 11kW onboard AC charger would benefit but as I don't have the 22kW AC onboard charger there is no financial logic or actual logic to needing either for home charging (95% of my usage).

The is no control of the EVSE other than setting the ampage - so set to max for the supply available - 32A in my case. There is no other control available.

I was just thinking if you are forced into a particular EVSE architecture that you may have some restrictions rather than using an out of the box standard solution i.e. any electrical supply + any EVSE (but you already have the PMC+ (or PMCC)) + a controlling app from your energy supplier.

Reactions: or1

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
That makes sense now.

Departure time, minimum charge and target charge set in the OVO app - all other timers / profiles are disabled. Creates a profile called 'ENODE'. Immediate charge is also possible from the app if needed.

I have a dedicated 32A supply from my main fuse board straight to my PMCC which has the 32A receptacle (rather than the 16A which on early cars was supplied). This gives me a max of 7.4kW on a UK single phase supply. PMCC will support 22kW but I would need a 3 phase supply for that - std 11kW onboard AC charger would benefit but as I don't have the 22kW AC onboard charger there is no financial logic or actual logic to needing either for home charging (95% of my usage).

The is no control of the EVSE other than setting the ampage - so set to max for the supply available - 32A in my case. There is no other control available.

I was just thinking if you are forced into a particular EVSE architecture that you may have some restrictions rather than using an out of the box standard solution i.e. any electrical supply + any EVSE (but you already have the PMC+ (or PMCC)) + a controlling app from your energy supplier.
Thanks for an excellent description of how OVO works. I’ll forward it to Tibber.

In case someone is interested: In Norway we have dynamic pricing by the hour from most suppliers (it has varied from belo zero to well above 20p lately). We also have now got a rule that increases monthly cost by specific amounts if the highest three hours of consumption during the month go above certain thresholds. In my case I try to keep my entire house below 10 kW at all times. So I have set charging max at 20A even though the circuit can deliver 32A. That makes charging take longer of course, but the optimization task is the same.
Sponsored