How would you spec differently next time?

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
OK, why do you guys love rear axle steering so much, why is it a must have? I have it as a nice to have but intrigued at the rave reviews. Thanks!
As the others have noted, the car is wide and long - it is actually slightly wider than my previous car (Audi A6). I test drove with and without RAS and decided it was worth it for parking lot maneuverability, for low speed turns (onto a side street, into a parking lot etc), u-turns, and it felt more nimble to me changing lanes on the highway. It's really personal how you'd rank RAS's advantages in those situations vs other "wants" on your list but for me it made the cut and I really like it. My priorities in specing the car were the performance features and I traded off "comfort" features like more leather and sound/heat insulating glass. Enjoy!
Sponsored

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
OK, why do you guys love rear axle steering so much, why is it a must have? I have it as a nice to have but intrigued at the rave reviews. Thanks!
Similar comments to what others noted.
I have test driven Taycan without RAS and also did a track day on one with our RAS.

The feeling was that this is a fast/fun car but also very wide in parking, and quick maneuvers.

When I drive with RAS, it turn the driving into a very different experience.

In low speeds, it is very nimble to turn in short radius. No need to choose between turn short radius and risk wheel damage or large radius and risk going into other lane in free right/left turns (depending on country where you drive)

In Parking, especially reverse/parallel parking, it makes it super easy to park.

In spirited driving, you will change lanes much more quickly (shorter distance) and get a good agile feeling. And also, during turns on spirited driving, its a very different experience.

Because RAS has a significant impact to the driving experience, I rated it a "must have", because, most of us (if not all) are into Taycan for the fun of driving (not $$, or technology).

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Similar comments to what others noted.
I have test driven Taycan without RAS and also did a track day on one with our RAS.

The feeling was that this is a fast/fun car but also very wide in parking, and quick maneuvers.

When I drive with RAS, it turn the driving into a very different experience.

In low speeds, it is very nimble to turn in short radius. No need to choose between turn short radius and risk wheel damage or large radius and risk going into other lane in free right/left turns (depending on country where you drive)

In Parking, especially reverse/parallel parking, it makes it super easy to park.

In spirited driving, you will change lanes much more quickly (shorter distance) and get a good agile feeling. And also, during turns on spirited driving, its a very different experience.

Because RAS has a significant impact to the driving experience, I rated it a "must have", because, most of us (if not all) are into Taycan for the fun of driving (not $$, or technology).
Great explanation, thanks
Sponsored