How would you spec differently next time?

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
The e-tron gt comes with a net and you can spec a net on the cross turismo. Maybe one of those will work well?
The CT net is a vertical net right behind back seats to keep luggage out of people area. You can see it in the interior photo when clicking the box.
Sponsored

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Should I get the electric charge port doors and Active Park Assist (automatic parking)?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Should I get the electric charge port doors and Active Park Assist (automatic parking)?
I have both. If it is a cost issue, I'd say no. Electric charge port doors are cool, but definitely not something I'd miss if they were not installed. Active Park Assist is kind of useless; I never engage it. It has the party trick of the 3D Surround, but that is also weird and useless.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I like the electric charge port doors, can open from the inside, and close automatically, when you drive off the charging station.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone ever had the manual charge port door damaged by a thick charge cable ?
I have the electric ones and like them, no risk of damage.
And the 150kW onboard charger. I like it because it allows me to charge at a faster 400V station.
I like the park assist with surround view, gives me better situation awareness.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I've researched automatic park assist to see if it is worth it, but it seems like nobody has really chosen this option.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would eliminate:

1. space ship sound
2. passenger display (unless they release additional functionality)

I would add:

1. rear axle steering
I rarely use the electric sport sound. I don't have the passenger display and wouldn't get it next time. I have rear axle steering, I think it helps.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Nothing. I spent plenty of time on the configurator and got everything I wanted and stayed within my budget. There was a thought of adding race-tex headliner and mirror but I have plenty of will power. ;)

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting to read what people have found useful and would do differently. Some of the options discussed (ACC, surround) standard in Australia, but then we pay a lot more! My car was purchased off the showroom floor so no choice in terms of options. After two weeks a few options I would definitely have liked and some I would not have if looking to save some money.

Options that I would have ordered and like
1. Colour - very happy with Crayon/Chalk - amazing how it can look quite different depending on the light - and was one of the three I was considering (also Ice Grey and Dolomite Silver). Very personal decision but $5000 for 'special colour' needs to be carefully balanced against other options if money is a factor.
2. Full leather, two tone - really adds to the appearance, especially crayon/black and burgundy/black. Beware the beige/black has beige on the doors (rather than black) which I think would be less practical.
3. Side window trim black - really think the silver does not suit such a modern car.
4. PB+ - as my first electric car really wanted the assurance of extra range.
5. Sport chrono - have experimented. Probably will not actually use that much but all the cars I have seen had it and I think will be really important any re-sale.
6. Power steering plus - had this on my previous Panamera and was on all the Taycans I test drove - for $600 cannot see why you would omit but have never driven one without.
7. Tyre sealing compound - shame on you Porsche for charging $130 for this!
8. LED matrix headlights - headlights definitely better than Bi-Xenon's on Panamera. Street lighting very poor in Sydney. Do not think tinted or glacier blue worth the extra. Have never seen a car with glacier blue headlights and rear Porsche badge, always one or the other. Not sure why?
9. Pano roof - I think looks really good from the outside and certainly would be nicer for back seat passengers. Have been surprised that I really do not notice from the driver's seat and given the weight and cost others may be happy to omit.
10. Windscreen grey top tint - only $240 and have never seen a car without it in Australia.
11. HUD - was uncertain but worried about 'excess speed' so had decided to order. Personally really liking this and essentially not using dash display now.
12. 4+1 - strongly recommended by dealer for future after sale value. Doubt I will ever use but again none of the cars I have soon were only 4 seaters.
13. Ambient lighting - really like this and really adds to the appearance of the interior - like the colour changes with music/album art.
14. Porsche logo front headrest - I think looks good but also quite discrete.
15. Black aluminium illuminated tread plates - really add a lot to the look and much better than the standrd silver non-illuminated. Took dealer all day to install, so glad I negotiated this with the purchase price!

Options that I would not have thought to order but like or have found useful
1. Mirror trims painted in exterior colour - looks and feels much nicer. A standard 4S in jet black was next to my car when I picked it up - standard trim looked a bit cheap and very rough to touch.
2. Adaptive sport seats - really like to adjustment and comfort.
3. Seat belts in Crayon - purely cosmetic but adds contrast and looks great!
4. Sport chrono in white - again, purely cosmetic but looks great

Options I would not have ordered and have not found useful or would not order again
1. Sports design package - I actually quite like the look and the extra trim in black at the side and rear looks great against a pale colour, but for $10,500 would skip
2. Porsche LED courtesy lights - I think standard puddle lighting would be fine
3. Model designation doors and back - I would de-badge
4. Electric sports sound - never used - why add noise to a quiet car?
5. 21" Taycan exclusive wheels, black - for $10,000 I think too much. Whilst really look good, cannot see the extra cost black brake calipers and worry about curb damage and impact on range. I would have gone for 20" Taycan Turbo Aero (seems to be the most popular option in Australia, 19" not available)
6. Active parking support - never used
7. 4 zone climate and rear seat heating - will likely never use
8 Passenger display - my wife expressed an immediate dislike and has been turned off ever since!
9. Home energy manager - a compulsory purchase for us but as no wifi in basement garage of our apartment, no function

Options I would order/consider ordering next time
1. Race-tex headliner - standard is really scratchy to touch
2. Burmester sound system - Bose is fine for MP4/popular music but a bit thin for classical music
3. Rear wheel steering - I have to park in a lot of really tight spaces - any extra help would be welcome
4. Traffic jam assist
5. Homelink - lots or remotes for garage doors
6. ?Acoustic glass - certainly quieter but with standard privacy glass the non-tinted acoustic glass looks quite odd. You can tint but then will not be able to open rear windows without risking damage to the tint and cannot really tint front windows at all. Also some issues for toll passes (even through the 'thinner' section near rear view mirror)
7. Storage package - would have appreciated storage tray below centre console - was advise by dealers not to order as come with rear seat console tray which makes middle seat more difficult to use. As I will likely not have passengers would order anyway to have more storage.

nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
1. Colour - very happy with Crayon/Chalk - amazing how it can look quite different depending on the light - and was one of the three I was considering (also Ice Grey and Dolomite Silver). Very personal decision but $5000 for 'special colour' needs to be carefully balanced against other options if money is a factor.
2. Full leather, two tone - really adds to the appearance, especially crayon/black and burgundy/black. Beware the beige/black has beige on the doors (rather than black) which I think would be less practical.
3. Side window trim black - really think the silver does not suit such a modern car.
5. Sport chrono - have experimented. Probably will not actually use that much but all the cars I have seen had it and I think will be really important any re-sale.
6. Power steering plus - had this on my previous Panamera and was on all the Taycans I test drove - for $600 cannot see why you would omit but have never driven one without.
8. LED matrix headlights - headlights definitely better than Bi-Xenon's on Panamera. Street lighting very poor in Sydney. Do not think tinted or glacier blue worth the extra. Have never seen a car with glacier blue headlights and rear Porsche badge, always one or the other. Not sure why?
9. Pano roof - I think looks really good from the outside and certainly would be nicer for back seat passengers. Have been surprised that I really do not notice from the driver's seat and given the weight and cost others may be happy to omit.
10. Windscreen grey top tint - only $240 and have never seen a car without it in Australia.
11. HUD - was uncertain but worried about 'excess speed' so had decided to order. Personally really liking this and essentially not using dash display now.
12. 4+1 - strongly recommended by dealer for future after sale value. Doubt I will ever use but again none of the cars I have soon were only 4 seaters.
13. Ambient lighting - really like this and really adds to the appearance of the interior - like the colour changes with music/album art.
15. Black aluminium illuminated tread plates - really add a lot to the look and much better than the standrd silver non-illuminated. Took dealer all day to install, so glad I negotiated this with the purchase price!

1. Mirror trims painted in exterior colour - looks and feels much nicer. A standard 4S in jet black was next to my car when I picked it up - standard trim looked a bit cheap and very rough to touch.

Options I would not have ordered and have not found useful or would not order again
1. Sports design package - I actually quite like the look and the extra trim in black at the side and rear looks great against a pale colour, but for $10,500 would skip
5. 21" Taycan exclusive wheels, black - for $10,000 I think too much. Whilst really look good, cannot see the extra cost black brake calipers and worry about curb damage and impact on range. I would have gone for 20" Taycan Turbo Aero (seems to be the most popular option in Australia, 19" not available)
8 Passenger display - my wife expressed an immediate dislike and has been turned off ever since!
9. Home energy manager - a compulsory purchase for us but as no wifi in basement garage of our apartment, no function

2. Burmester sound system - Bose is fine for MP4/popular music but a bit thin for classical music
3. Rear wheel steering - I have to park in a lot of really tight spaces - any extra help would be welcome
4. Traffic jam assist
6. ?Acoustic glass - certainly quieter but with standard privacy glass the non-tinted acoustic glass looks quite odd. You can tint but then will not be able to open rear windows without risking damage to the tint and cannot really tint front windows at all. Also some issues for toll passes (even through the 'thinner' section near rear view mirror)
7. Storage package - would have appreciated storage tray below centre console - was advise by dealers not to order as come with rear seat console tray which makes middle seat more difficult to use. As I will likely not have passengers would order anyway to have more storage.
Great post and like your categories.

Here's my take on your items where I disagree, implying that I agree with everything else you wrote...

Options that you would have ordered:
5. Sport Chrono - people always go on and on about this expensive option. Plain and simple based on KBB and Edmunds, you simply do Not get any value for it in resale. It adds approx 500-750 USD to any build 3 years old and drips as the car gets older. Yes, if you track the car, maybe it serves a purpose. Else, it's a large profit for Porsche. And, that clock in the dash looks like a giant pimple, especially on the Taycan. I think people are overpaying not for performance but for that other inane drive mode wheel adjuster in the steering wheel.

9. Pano roof - it looks good and really does open up the rear seats for passengers. But you're right, it's an easy place to save money.

12. 4+1 seating - another waste. It'll be the very rare day that you carry 5 people in this car unless it's your only car...and even then!

Options you would not have ordered and not ordered again:

4. The sport sound is awesome. It ridiculous it isn't included in the price but it does help clue the driver into the "engine" working. Love the aural feedback. But again, you're right that it's another easy place to save money.

That's it. Job done. I think you mostly nailed it!

Just to reaffirm, the acoustic glass in particular is a must. The car is so quiet that the aural pickup from wind and tires outside the car can actually become annoying without it. Drive a Tesla to see what I mean.

Olicanian

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, SL.
Country flag
Interesting to read what people have found useful and would do differently. Some of the options discussed (ACC, surround) standard in Australia, but then we pay a lot more! My car was purchased off the showroom floor so no choice in terms of options. After two weeks a few options I would definitely have liked and some I would not have if looking to save some money.

4. Traffic jam assist
Had my S two months now - loathe the sports chrono clock for starters and I so wish there had been a soft-close option. Glass roof a must and a light Crayon interior also benefits from Crayon belts. I specced the electric sports sound on the advice of my blind brother in law, who is convinced an electric car will kill him !

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Very happy with my specs.
Some features are amazing, e.g., RAS, PDCC, the sunroof is nice

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I suspect you are correct about the sport chrono, but I do actually like the clock and it is where my eye goes to to check on the time (perhaps just from habit as last car has the same feature).
I forgot to mention the electric charging port - my is the manual and so really sticks out when it is open as opposed to sliding up inside the bodywork. Also miss the visual element of the black strip that contains the sensor for the port - I think looks really good with lighter colours but probably not so critical with darker colours.
Yes, I think you are also right about the acoustic glass - if I had been patient enough to wait the 6-8 months for an order I would have included this, tinted the rear glass and kept the rear windows locked shut!

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have a MY2021 Turbo and have a MY2022 Turbo S on order. Here’s my thought emotional process.

Current Turbo: https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsche-code/default.aspx?c=/PMY9USY6

On order Turbo S: https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsche-code/default.aspx?c=/PMF9TVW7

Changes
  • I love Volcano Grey, but only immediately after it’s been washed. I have spent so long on these forums that I started to believe I was an American living in California with year round perfect weather, forgetting that I lived in England where a good day is being able to go outside without wearing a snorkel. It’s hard to see the lines on the car and therefore makes it look less sporty than I’d like. Changing to Ice Grey
  • I also love the interiors on the Turbo, but I wanted to try Olea as it seems highly regarded on these forums and having the back of the front seats covered should make it seem more luxurious
  • Mission E Wheels over Aero - what we should always have gone for
  • Burmester over Bose
  • Include the Model Designation - I’m vain
Added
  • Carbon Mirror Trims - purely cosmetic
  • Night Vision Assist - probably never use it, but just in case that bear from The Revenant is out there we can avoid it well in advance
  • Passenger Display - another thing we’ll probably never use, but I’m hoping they add functionality in coming years, then I can fall asleep to ASMR videos whilst driving
  • HomeLink - don’t current need it, but hopefully useful on next home we’re trying to buy
  • Sport Sound - comes with Turbo S by default, but I want it. I thought it would be rubbish, but there’s something missing when you floor the Taycan
  • Massage Seats - also due to recommendation on these forums
Removed
  • N/A

Random Note

I have spent an abnormal amount of time in the back of the car, comforting my 4 month old daughter, so I can really see the benefits of Panoramic Roof and Advanced Climate Control from a back passengers perspective. The panoramic roof has little benefit if you’re in the front, but it’s transformative in the back, and the heated seats are greatly appreciated for our colder months, like January through to December.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was shown a turbo in Ice Grey with Mission wheels - really liked the colour and it also had carbon fibre. You might want to consider the carbon fibre interior trim and on the side skirts/rear diffuser - it really offsets the ice grey. It is interesting quite a few of your options (ACC, 3D surround view) are standard in Australia, but your car as shown would be the equivalent of about 230K pounds over here!
Sponsored