Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
You should have been around when the 911 went from the 964 model to the 993. Whew! The 964 buyers were besides themselves when they found out the extensive change from the 964 to the 993 and they had just purchased a 964 at full retail. But........................I never understood it. While the 993 was a great car for its time, the 964 in my mind was not diminished - still a great car, great driver, etc. I think that I full pretty much the same about any changes (now or in the future) to the Taycan, or any car model for that matter. I have had my Taycan for 3 years and still smile when I look at it. And unlike the 964 to 993 cosmetic changes, I highly doubt that few people will see a 2025 Taycan and even know that it has a few small cosmetic changes from the 'original'. But then I am the guy who had a Nokia phone until I made my first Apple purchase...................Apple 6..................
911 is different because it doesn't lose so much value. When you lose 50% on your car as it is, then the new version is released, it adds to the depreciation. I understand most people don't care about that, but some do.

Taycan seems to be compatible to Panamera
Sponsored

Warrior 6

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2021 Audi E tron
Country flag
Do you feel Porsche has treated you well as a customer?
Some people seem to feel betrayed because of the facelift, change in hardware.
I don't recall Porsche asking me my recommendations for changes on any model of Porsche I've owned. Many of my suggested change would be functional or performance not visual.

In my 2023 Taycan GTS I would recommend improving entry and exit for driver, better rear camera, higher seatbelt female connectors, a bit wider seats and, adjustable turn signal audio indicators for example. Porsche isn't alone in not reflecting its customer base, just look a BMW's huge grills.

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
Do you feel the Gen 1 should have been the Gen 2 specs and hardware?

I talked to an i4 M50 driver today. He said he avoided the Taycan and the E-Tron GT due to the range.
Anything over 220 is more than enough for me, but it doesn't work for some
Range not so much but power for sure. The entire range was under powered especially for its price point. The base ease the worse offender and didn’t even really feel like an electric car. The 4S to turbo S was great on the city streets. However even the turbo S on the highway is a bit underwhelming. A Kia shouldn’t be giving a turbo a run for its money.

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
911 is different because it doesn't lose so much value. When you lose 50% on your car as it is, then the new version is released, it adds to the depreciation. I understand most people don't care about that, but some do.

Taycan seems to be compatible to Panamera
But..............depreciation only affects you if you decide to get rid of the car. Same as the stock market. I argue that when the value of your stocks/investments goes down you did not 'lose' any money. You only take a loss if you decide to sell the stock/investment and then the loss is realized. I see depreciation kind of the same way - you only realize the loss/depreciation if you decide to sell or trade the car for another. Yes, that asset value is lower but the 'loss' is not realized until disposal action is taken.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
But..............depreciation only affects you if you decide to get rid of the car.
I’m mostly aligned with your argument, but………
Consider what happens when you don’t have a choice about getting rid of your car, particularly when it is totaled in an accident. The insurance companies will generally only pay out the depreciated value, although I’ve read that some insurance companies sell special policies that insure for new replacement cost. (And the likelihood of me finding a depreciated replacement Taycan with actual exterior and interior colors and that is well optioned is about zero.) Which brings up a baffling question: why do all insurance companies keep raising premiums even on policies where the insured value is rapidly depreciating?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Which brings up a baffling question: why do all insurance companies keep raising premiums even on policies where the insured value is rapidly depreciating?
That’s a good question.

At our current car depreciation rate and insurance increase rate, yearly insurance will soon be more than the value of the car. 😱

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
I’m mostly aligned with your argument, but………
Consider what happens when you don’t have a choice about getting rid of your car, particularly when it is totaled in an accident. The insurance companies will generally only pay out the depreciated value, although I’ve read that some insurance companies sell special policies that insure for new replacement cost. (And the likelihood of me finding a depreciated replacement Taycan with actual exterior and interior colors and that is well optioned is about zero.) Which brings up a baffling question: why do all insurance companies keep raising premiums even on policies where the insured value is rapidly depreciating?
Insurance premiums go up because of repair costs without regard to the value of the car EXCEPT when the cost to repair the car is more than the value of the car. In that case the insurance company 'totals' the car and then the depreciated value of the car comes into play - much like I said in an earlier post - the loss (depreciation) is realized when you dispose of the car. But in this case the disposal is most likely not desired by the owner but unfortunately he does not have much choice.

Side note - there have been stories on the web about cars with moderate damage being totaled when it looks like a repair would suffice. The insurance company totals the car due to the unavailability of parts, the high cost of repair parts, etc. which puts the repair cost close to or in excess of the car's value - and yes, high depreciation hurts the owners of these cars in the event of an accident/damage where the repair cost approaches the actual value of the car. My advice........................dont' get in an accident!🤪
Sponsored