How would you spec differently next time?

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I was shown a turbo in Ice Grey with Mission wheels - really liked the colour and it also had carbon fibre. You might want to consider the carbon fibre interior trim and on the side skirts/rear diffuser - it really offsets the ice grey.
I assume you mean the Carbon SportDesign package for the front and rear? I’m not keen on the front, but really like the back - yet you can’t have the back only. A Turbo S comes with side skirts and interior in carbon by default, unless you meant something else?

It is interesting quite a few of your options (ACC, 3D surround view) are standard in Australia, but your car as shown would be the equivalent of about 230K pounds over here!
Australia is known as a very tolerant country, especially when it comes to their borders, so I’m sure my new business venture of buy in UK, avoid all import duties/taxes and sell in Australia will have me joining the billionaires club in no time. We’re all family anyway. Side note: we were staying in the Park Hyatt Sydney when this was happening, giving us a lovely view of the ship in question and the police presence, right from our room: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-43206983
Sponsored

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Side note: we were staying in the Park Hyatt Sydney when this was happening, giving us a lovely view of the ship in question and the police presence, right from our room: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-43206983
Oh, my!

BTW, we absolutely loved visiting Sydney for a few days before embarking on a ship bound for Melbourne and many excellent points around New Zealand's shores. That was a few years ago. We self-toured a lot on foot. Such lovely places!

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I assume you mean the Carbon SportDesign package for the front and rear? I’m not keen on the front, but really like the back - yet you can’t have the back only. A Turbo S comes with side skirts and interior in carbon by default, unless you meant something else?

Australia is known as a very tolerant country, especially when it comes to their borders, so I’m sure my new business venture of buy in UK, avoid all import duties/taxes and sell in Australia will have me joining the billionaires club in no time. We’re all family anyway. Side note: we were staying in the Park Hyatt Sydney when this was happening, giving us a lovely view of the ship in question and the police presence, right from our room: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-43206983
Damn Canadians.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did not realise carbon was a default on the Turbo S. I agree, rear looks great, not so keen on the front.

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
This thread ROCKS! Thanks to all.

Socks

First Name
Candi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
I have a MY2021 Turbo and have a MY2022 Turbo S on order. Here’s my thought emotional process.

Current Turbo: https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsche-code/default.aspx?c=/PMY9USY6

On order Turbo S: https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsche-code/default.aspx?c=/PMF9TVW7

Changes
  • I love Volcano Grey, but only immediately after it’s been washed. I have spent so long on these forums that I started to believe I was an American living in California with year round perfect weather, forgetting that I lived in England where a good day is being able to go outside without wearing a snorkel. It’s hard to see the lines on the car and therefore makes it look less sporty than I’d like. Changing to Ice Grey
  • I also love the interiors on the Turbo, but I wanted to try Olea as it seems highly regarded on these forums and having the back of the front seats covered should make it seem more luxurious
  • Mission E Wheels over Aero - what we should always have gone for
  • Burmester over Bose
  • Include the Model Designation - I’m vain
Added
  • Carbon Mirror Trims - purely cosmetic
  • Night Vision Assist - probably never use it, but just in case that bear from The Revenant is out there we can avoid it well in advance
  • Passenger Display - another thing we’ll probably never use, but I’m hoping they add functionality in coming years, then I can fall asleep to ASMR videos whilst driving
  • HomeLink - don’t current need it, but hopefully useful on next home we’re trying to buy
  • Sport Sound - comes with Turbo S by default, but I want it. I thought it would be rubbish, but there’s something missing when you floor the Taycan
  • Massage Seats - also due to recommendation on these forums
Removed
  • N/A

Random Note

I have spent an abnormal amount of time in the back of the car, comforting my 4 month old daughter, so I can really see the benefits of Panoramic Roof and Advanced Climate Control from a back passengers perspective. The panoramic roof has little benefit if you’re in the front, but it’s transformative in the back, and the heated seats are greatly appreciated for our colder months, like January through to December.
I have a MY2021 Turbo and have a MY2022 Turbo S on order. Here’s my thought emotional process.

Current Turbo: https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsche-code/default.aspx?c=/PMY9USY6

On order Turbo S: https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsche-code/default.aspx?c=/PMF9TVW7

Changes
  • I love Volcano Grey, but only immediately after it’s been washed. I have spent so long on these forums that I started to believe I was an American living in California with year round perfect weather, forgetting that I lived in England where a good day is being able to go outside without wearing a snorkel. It’s hard to see the lines on the car and therefore makes it look less sporty than I’d like. Changing to Ice Grey
  • I also love the interiors on the Turbo, but I wanted to try Olea as it seems highly regarded on these forums and having the back of the front seats covered should make it seem more luxurious
  • Mission E Wheels over Aero - what we should always have gone for
  • Burmester over Bose
  • Include the Model Designation - I’m vain
Added
  • Carbon Mirror Trims - purely cosmetic
  • Night Vision Assist - probably never use it, but just in case that bear from The Revenant is out there we can avoid it well in advance
  • Passenger Display - another thing we’ll probably never use, but I’m hoping they add functionality in coming years, then I can fall asleep to ASMR videos whilst driving
  • HomeLink - don’t current need it, but hopefully useful on next home we’re trying to buy
  • Sport Sound - comes with Turbo S by default, but I want it. I thought it would be rubbish, but there’s something missing when you floor the Taycan
  • Massage Seats - also due to recommendation on these forums
Removed
  • N/A

Random Note

I have spent an abnormal amount of time in the back of the car, comforting my 4 month old daughter, so I can really see the benefits of Panoramic Roof and Advanced Climate Control from a back passengers perspective. The panoramic roof has little benefit if you’re in the front, but it’s transformative in the back, and the heated seats are greatly appreciated for our colder months, like January through to December.
I was fortunate a car I wanted was coming in one week..so I took it. It had things in it I wanted and the color..ice gray metallic. Has the sport sound..do I have to do anything or is it what I hear all the time.. I also have the PSCB with calipers in white…I believe that is the upgraded brakes…yes?.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think the white calipers look great with the Ice Grey - I saw a turbo with this combination and was very tempted! They are surface coated but not the ceramic composite. The Sport Sound is activated when you select sports plus but has to be turned on with other modes. You can set the config button on the steering wheel if you want to have a quick way of activating it each time.

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have the 2020 turbo with pretty much all options hence nothing to add but would not pay for again

Innodrive- ACC is all I ever use, the accepting new speed all the time is a pita
ALK- Have to keep pressing or tugging stirring wheel so what’s the point, and really doesn’t work well enough
Sport sound, really? Why do I want it louder with a bogus sound
LKA - somewhat neutral on this but has been turned off for months

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
[*]HomeLink - don’t current need it, but hopefully useful on next home we’re trying to buy.
Just an FYI, If the reason you can’t use homelink is that your garage doesn’t support Homelink, there is an easy and cheap conversion kit you can get for an older garage door opener to support homelink.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Anyone get the heads up display on 2021 cars and regret it? I'll be going to my dealership when it's time to spec out my Taycan Turbo CT, and there are two things I'm heavily debating: exterior paint, and heads up display.

Paint is subjective, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to compromise the amazingly sleek look of the dash/instrument cluster for the heads up display. It may sound silly, but one of my biggest draws to the Taycan was just how good the instrument cluster and dash looks. The HUD doesn't ruin it exactly, but does take away from how good it looks IMO.
I rather like the HUD. Is it required? No… but I do enjoy not having to take my eyes off the road. If you use the Porsche nav it gives you turn by turn directions, too.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would tend to agree with Andrew K - overall I tend to use the HUD. You can configure it to a degree (add or remove Power Meter, sat nav directions, etc), but mainly I just like knowing my speed without taking my eyes of the road - very easy to find yourself going much faster than you might think!
I really do not think you will notice the difference in the instrument panel from the driver's seat - I assume you do not like to 'cut out' on top of the panel for the HUD projector?

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Things I would add next time:
Turbo S (EV speed and torque are addictive)
Folding mirrors
Night vision
Porsche Exclusive Contrast Stitching

Favorite options on my car:
Rear Axle Steering
Massage seats
Mamba Green
Mission e rims
Pano roof
Sport Chrono plus mode selector dial
Motorized charge port doors
My only regret is not having ordered Rear Wheel/Axle Steering. I did not realize what it was and the (otherwise very helpful) sales person did not draw my attention to it.
This is by far the most fun car I've ever had! I thoroughly enjoy it and have almost 4,000 miles on it since October so there's not much I would change.

My favorite features:
- Rear axle steering
- Torque vectoring and PDCC Sport
- Sport Chrono knob
- ventilated and heated seats (14 way)
- folding exterior mirrors

What I would add next time
- sound/heat isolation glass
- 18 way massage seats
- rear climate control
- 5th seat

What I would drop from my build next time
- PMCC (this should not be required)
  • My Build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PM66JQT0
  • Things I regret not adding:
    • Inner Door-Sill Guards and B-Pillars in Leather (Wasn't an option when I ordered last year)
    • Massage seat (heard good things on this review)
    • Burmester (not a real regret, but why not)
  • Things I would not include if I ordered again:
    • Storage package (every time you hit the pedal to the metal, its completely useless)
    • Mobile Charger connect (it was free for me but haven't opened the box yet)
    • 19.2 kW AC On-Board Charge (not sure if this was useful)
    • On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger (not sure if this is helpful either)
  • Extremely satisfied with (must have)
    • Rear Axle Steering
    • Mission E wheels (looks cool)
    • PDCC (seen it in action when driving in canyons)
    • Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass (a must have)
I like the sound/heat isolation glass, and it's very quiet, but in the Denver area I can't get the ExpressToll transponder to work in the car at all, so just paying the higher license plate price. Don't drive toll roads daily, so no big deal.

Rear axle steering is AMAZING. Love it. Best thing.

Lane-keeping and ACC are OK, but would have appreciated the Innodrive on a recent long trip. I'm split on the power charging doors – very cool but yes sometimes they open or close when I don't need or want them to.

Charging dock/pedestal not necessary, and did not purchase.

I wish the passenger display had more options so the value is limited. And with CarPlay active it will only display on the main screen.

Best car ever.
OK, why do you guys love rear axle steering so much, why is it a must have? I have it as a nice to have but intrigued at the rave reviews. Thanks!

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
OK, why do you guys love rear axle steering so much, why is it a must have? I have it as a nice to have but intrigued at the rave reviews. Thanks!
The Taycan is surprisingly long and wide. Its flowing design suggests a somewhat compact sports car but it turns out to be as long and slightly wider than the 5 series BMW I had before. Rear axle steering would have given me the maneuverability of a more compact sports car if I would have specced it. Would have been the best of both worlds.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
The Taycan is surprisingly long and wide. Its flowing design suggests a somewhat compact sports car but it turns out to be as long and slightly wider than the 5 series BMW I had before. Rear axle steering would have given me the maneuverability of a more compact sports car if I would have specced it. Would have been the best of both worlds.
Exactly, right on.

This car is huge, dwarfing my 2005 MINI Cooper S, which is a few inches smaller than the post-2007 series MINIs that you see more often today. The Taycan's length is 195 inches (five meters), and width is over six feet (about two meters). And yet, when I pull a U-turn in my Taycan Turbo, it feels quite similar to the MINI. Granted, a bit larger turn radius, but much closer to the MINI than the size difference would lead you to expect. Starting into a U-turn, I first seem to be aimed at the lane beyond the one that I actually enter.

I've never enjoyed the feel of driving/parking a large vehicle on errands around town, or even on road trips. So for me, the RAS increases my enjoyment of this car immeasurably, and has proved to be well worth the cost. In the case of my Turbo, I think it was included in the Performance package.
Sponsored

Last edited: