How would you spec differently next time?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I have thought about this a lot. I have a slightly over-spec’d 4S, so it’s mostly about what I would not get. Here is what I would do:

Options that I did not get but would:
  • Puddle light projectors. I ended up buying them anyway and installing myself. It is a tiny feature that says premium to me.
  • 21" Wheels with carbon fiber blades. I know they will get damaged, but they look fantastic to me. I struggle to remember what I was thinking; 20” is practical, but the Taycan is not practical in the first place.
  • 2+1 Rear seats. Every once in a while, a pass-through would be handy.
Options that I did get but would not get the next time:
  • Taycan Badge Removal. I initially just didn’t like the two logos (“Porsche” and “Taycan 4S”) so close to each other on the back. But people keep asking what it is.
  • Power Charge Port Cover. It really is not that useful.
  • Passenger Display. If they eventually extend some of the things that can be done with this display (e.g., CarPlay), then I would still say to get it. But most of the things that can be done on this display are not that interesting.
Options that surprised me with their utility:
  • Night Vision. It has actually helped me spot deer and people on dark roads.
  • Brakes. I don’t really think the brakes matter for people who don’t track their car. Plus, most of the aero wheels (that I like) hide the brakes, so there isn’t even a looks benefit.
Sponsored

grahamtparker1979

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m on my second Taycan that was speced already by the dealer (4s to TS)

I would like/miss ACC, comfort access, storage package , massage seats

homelink is wasted on me as don’t have a garage or gate where I live

if My22 has some upgrades and I was going again to finally spec my own would prob try Club Leather Interior Olea Brown , Beige metallic, PDCC and Burmester !

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
Interesting! on the wheels front, in what respect have you found them disappointing?
I wouldn’t say disappointing, but having seen the exclusive wheels a lot more and in the flesh I just prefer them. Think they really suit the car well

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
I have thought about this a lot. I have a slightly over-spec’d 4S, so it’s mostly about what I would not get. Here is what I would do:

Options that I did not get but would:
  • Puddle light projectors. I ended up buying them anyway and installing myself. It is a tiny feature that says premium to me.
  • 21" Wheels with carbon fiber blades. I know they will get damaged, but they look fantastic to me. I struggle to remember what I was thinking; 20” is practical, but the Taycan is not practical in the first place.
  • 2+1 Rear seats. Every once in a while, a pass-through would be handy.
Options that I did get but would not get the next time:
  • Taycan Badge Removal. I initially just didn’t like the two logos (“Porsche” and “Taycan 4S”) so close to each other on the back. But people keep asking what it is.
  • Power Charge Port Cover. It really is not that useful.
  • Passenger Display. If they eventually extend some of the things that can be done with this display (e.g., CarPlay), then I would still say to get it. But most of the things that can be done on this display are not that interesting.
Options that surprised me with their utility:
  • Night Vision. It has actually helped me spot deer and people on dark roads.
  • Brakes. I don’t really think the brakes matter for people who don’t track their car. Plus, most of the aero wheels (that I like) hide the brakes, so there isn’t even a looks benefit.
Agree on the charge port cover. At first thought it was great, but now it’s more annoying when it either doesn’t work first time when you want it to, or it does work first time when you don’t want it to, for example cleaning the car.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'd gladly drop the PMCC for the rear climate control screen. The PMCC sits in its bag in the corner in my garage unused.

I'd like the 2021 software for Wireless CarPlay, and I'd like WiFi hotspot to actually start working.

Any of the other things I'd like I didn't get because the car was already above $175k, so I don't really regret not getting it. If I was going to spend a bunch more, it'd be on a bunch of carbon fiber bling.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Agree on the charge port cover. At first thought it was great, but now it’s more annoying when it either doesn’t work first time when you want it to, or it does work first time when you don’t want it to, for example cleaning the car.
I actually like it. To each his own. It’s kind of cool, and it’s nice that it closes itself.

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
There’s a lot of threads asking about how to spec cars up in here. Understandably!

Interested in current owners thoughts, what would you change on your current Taycan specifications?
Did you add anything that’s proven to be a waste of time and money in your in your eyes?
Do you even wish you’d chosen a different colour?
What would you do differently next time
This is by far the most fun car I've ever had! I thoroughly enjoy it and have almost 4,000 miles on it since October so there's not much I would change.

My favorite features:
- Rear axle steering
- Torque vectoring and PDCC Sport
- Sport Chrono knob
- ventilated and heated seats (14 way)
- folding exterior mirrors

What I would add next time
- sound/heat isolation glass
- 18 way massage seats
- rear climate control
- 5th seat

What I would drop from my build next time
- PMCC (this should not be required)

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
This is by far the most fun car I've ever had! I thoroughly enjoy it and have almost 4,000 miles on it since October so there's not much I would change.

My favorite features:
- Rear axle steering
- Sport Chrono knob

- 18 way massage seats
- rear climate control
- 5th seat

Just so you don't feel like you missed something by not getting 18 way massage seats, they aren't a thing. Massage is only available with ventilated 14 way seats.

With regard to the insulated glass, do you feel that the car is too noisy without it? I figured an EV with double layer glass would be pretty quiet already. I had thought about the option anyway but then read some people were reporting issues with radar detector use so I passed. The glass is really the only option I've second guessed myself about on my 2021 4S order.

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
  • My Build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PM66JQT0
  • Things I regret not adding:
    • Inner Door-Sill Guards and B-Pillars in Leather (Wasn't an option when I ordered last year)
    • Massage seat (heard good things on this review)
    • Burmester (not a real regret, but why not)
  • Things I would not include if I ordered again:
    • Storage package (every time you hit the pedal to the metal, its completely useless)
    • Mobile Charger connect (it was free for me but haven't opened the box yet)
    • 19.2 kW AC On-Board Charge (not sure if this was useful)
    • On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger (not sure if this is helpful either)
  • Extremely satisfied with (must have)
    • Rear Axle Steering
    • Mission E wheels (looks cool)
    • PDCC (seen it in action when driving in canyons)
    • Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass (a must have)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
My car is perfect for my use case. I would like to have better sports seats with massage function. Craving comfort over design.

Electric sports sound is nice but nothing more than a gimmick the way it is implemented. No settings, no easy access:

1. Button on steering wheel to switch on/off
2. Settings to change volume level outside
3. Settings to change volume level inside
4. Many more detailed settings possible to create sound for certain situations to make it really useful

I don't regret it, but it clearly is the least useful feature in the car.

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Just so you don't feel like you missed something by not getting 18 way massage seats, they aren't a thing. Massage is only available with ventilated 14 way seats.

With regard to the insulated glass, do you feel that the car is too noisy without it? I figured an EV with double layer glass would be pretty quiet already. I had thought about the option anyway but then read some people were reporting issues with radar detector use so I passed. The glass is really the only option I've second guessed myself about on my 2021 4S order.
Thanks re the seats- I think the massage function would be somewhat helpful for long drives. I guess I’d probably take the massage option over the 18 way seats.

Re the glass- the car is pretty quiet with the standard glass and it is so nice I’d probably go for more next time. I don’t use a radar detector - If you are worried about using a radar detector then stay with the standard glass. The car is nice and quiet as is. ?

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Turbo, 2009 911 Turbo Cab
Country flag
If doing over, would choose only ACC without Innodrive as it is useless, black window surrounds, exterior color Taycan emblem, and would eliminate intelligent rage manager. Love everything else.

Porsche Taycan How would you spec differently next time? Taycan

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
I love the painted side skirts and folding mirrors painted in body color. Also depending on car color you may want the gloss black window trim option as well as the electric charging port. Heads up display is great. I love it. I’d probably upgrade to an turbo from the 4s for even more speed/torque. I’d also opt for the burmiester sound over the Bose. Lastly I would add the exclusive wheels in black or carbon fiber.. I think sport sound is a MUST. All the charging crap you can do without

DenverDG

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2017 Tesla S 100D
Country flag

My favorite features:
- Rear axle steering
- Sport Chrono knob

- 18 way massage seats
- rear climate control
- 5th seat

I like the sound/heat isolation glass, and it's very quiet, but in the Denver area I can't get the ExpressToll transponder to work in the car at all, so just paying the higher license plate price. Don't drive toll roads daily, so no big deal.

Rear axle steering is AMAZING. Love it. Best thing.

Lane-keeping and ACC are OK, but would have appreciated the Innodrive on a recent long trip. I'm split on the power charging doors – very cool but yes sometimes they open or close when I don't need or want them to.

Charging dock/pedestal not necessary, and did not purchase.

I wish the passenger display had more options so the value is limited. And with CarPlay active it will only display on the main screen.

Best car ever.
Sponsored