Is 14000 miles decent tyre life ? - should I change brand ?

DirtyPop

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
Count yourself lucky! I have 8000 miles and i'm on my THIRD set of tyers.

Heavy car, low profile tyers and pots holes have destroyed ALL my tyers several times.
That is insane. My GTS has 14,000 miles and I have probably 50% life left on the original tires.
Sponsored

Valerian

First Name
Valerian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've had my Taycan Cross Turismo 4s just over 2 years and I'm currently on 28,000 miles.

The tyres need changing (AGAIN) and I've just dug out my previous invoice and it seems I'm getting 14,000 per set.

Is this good ?

Having owned MANY cars over the years I've never owned one that eats tyres as quickly. But then I've never owned a car this heavy (i think).

Should I stick with Pirelli's or switch to a diffent brand ?

Cheers
I'm still on my original tyres after 3 years and 26k miles.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag

Spd_Tkt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 4S, 20 Jeep JLUR, 14 991.1 C2S-MT, 13 BMW K16GT
Country flag
The several variables at play here. The primary is summer or all season tires? I am certain most of you are not using 19 inch wheels. At 27k miles I just changed the tires on my 19s. The fronts were at the wear limit and the rears could have gone another 5k miles, but I wanted to switch to Continental NF0 winter tires. I now also have a set of original take off 20 inch wheels with Michelin PS4 NF0 tires.

I look forward to seeing how my 4S handles come spring. I don’t expect to get 27k miles on the 20 inch PS4s or the 19 inch Winter Contact TS860s for that matter. What I do expect is the best handling I can get in Winter Conditions and very good handling in Summer Conditions - the 21s would be better.

I hope this helps others thinks about the tradeoffs.

Cheers!

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Not sure there is a simple answer to O/P,s post as it the main variable is how it’s driven. My own experience with performance cars (ICE) at that around 10,000 miles is average for mixed driving, more spirted driving then less, , BUT EV,s are heavy which will put more wear in to the equation. Next is compound, softer compound better performance grip but quicker wear and opposite with harder compound…..my CT with 21” wheels delivered in Oct cam with Goodyear, not really a fan and have found it quite easy to test traction control or have the rear step out but suppose it’s a compromise with wheel size and Porsche approved brands.

I don’t have to buy/replace tyres as it’s all part of the salary sacrifice scheme, but if I was able to buy my own and could find the right size, I’ve always preferred the Michelin performance range my to my liking/preference.

Frankcan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 S
Country flag
My car has 14800 miles on the clock, 21” all round Pirelli’s ! But they’re a hair above the indicator tyre markers! So new boots ordered for 4th Jan

Porsche Taycan Is 14000 miles decent tyre life ? - should I change brand ? IMG_6493

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Tyres last much longer if most driving is on straight roads and motorways.
I would expect tyres to last much longer in typical US road conditions than here where I live.
It obviously also depends on how close to the grip limit one drives.
Pirelli P Zeros last 4000 miles on my sports car but low rolling resistance tyres last >20,000 on our hybrid, which is mainly driving style and sticky verses low-grip tyres.

senwar

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY24 CT4
Country flag
I've had my car in today for a fault check and they did the usual health check of the car.

Rears are showing as 5,6mm outers, 5.2mm middle, and 5.7/5.inner. Car has done 1750 miles and is 6 weeks old. That's some wear in a short time/mileage? CT4 with 21"

Am I missing something? I know its heavy, but this seems crazy. My last car (Velar) - 34,000 miles, 2yrs old, still on originals at 5mm all round (22" alloys)

TaycanTurbo22

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Well, based on those readings, relatively speaking, your tyres are overinflated. What brand are they? Not uncommon for some brands of tyre to be at 6mm new these days….in which case the wear is negligible on the outers.

Would recommend measuring them yourself though - doing this accurately seems to be beyond the ability of most dealership service departments…

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Well, based on those readings, relatively speaking, your tyres are overinflated. What brand are they? Not uncommon for some brands of tyre to be at 6mm new these days….in which case the wear is negligible on the outers.

Would recommend measuring them yourself though - doing this accurately seems to be beyond the ability of most dealership service departments…
They want to create revenue!

senwar

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY24 CT4
Country flag

Pirelli. It does say on the report, 42% wear which doesn’t work out.

Now you mention 6mm, I’ve read/heard that before re reduction is tread on new tyres. I’ll check anyway.
Sponsored