Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
OK, this is a tough one, and I've reported this to the NHTSA. What you're looking at is 4 pictures, all relating to my summer Goodyear tires. First is my drivers side rear, second my passenger side rear, third is the inspection report when my dealer installed the wheel/tire combination on March 21, and fourth is the alignment measurements taken before I had the car re-aligned.

My car has 30K miles consisting of a combination of my winter wheels/tires and summer wheels/tires. I would guess I have something between 15-20K miles on the summer tires. I figure I put about 3500 miles on the tires after they were installed when I noticed a very slight drop in pressure on the ds rear tire from 41-39psi. I monitored the pressure, and it stayed at 38-39 for a couple weeks, then I had a dramatic drop on July 18 to 22 psi while I was parked downtown. I put as much air in the tire as it would hold (35 psi) and drove it home carefully on backroads with about 20 psi left. I jacked it up, since I didn't want the car sitting on a completely flat tire, and it was 0 psi in the morning. I cranked up the pressure to 40+psi, and was able to make it to the dealership with 20+ psi in the tire. I'm sure the tire took a beating during these drives because of the low pressure.

The pictures show the ds rear tire with what looks like the beginning of separation at the tire bead between the sidewall and the tread, pretty much around the entire diameter. The passenger side (ps) rear tire is shown in the next picture. You can see the same cracking starting on this tire, but only in spots. This tire was not losing any air pressure and the treadwear was not unusual.

I was told by the dealer that this was an 'alignment issue', so I asked the dealer to check the alignment, and to check the treadwear on my winter tires to see if there was a problem. The winter tires were completely normal. I've also attached the inspection report when they swapped the tires March 21, and as I discussed with the advisor, there was no indication of unusual treadwear on the summer tires, and there was probably sufficient tread to last one more season. The alignment measurement shows the driver side rear tire to be within spec, and the ps rear tire slightly out of spec. I asked how the ds rear tire could fail in this potentially catastrophic manner if the alignment was within spec and there was no unusual treadwear. I was told that misalignment of one rear tire could cause severe wear of the other.

I don't buy this argument for a couple reasons. First, the passenger rear tire is showing the same failure mode as the driver rear, but not as severe, and it was out of alignment. Second, the passenger rear shows no signs of unusual treadwear. The driver's side tire has some inner tread damage, probably due to driving on it with a very low pressure.

All the evidence I've been able to collect points to a defect in these tires. I've seen hundreds of tires in my racing, and never seen this kind of failure. I've seen tires worn through to the cords on the inside, but not cracking at the sidewall/tread seam.

I've put 4 new tires on the car (dealer paid for the ds rear), and I've had it re-aligned to spec. I have not pushed this car hard at all - never hit the limits on cornering, and used launch control maybe 10 times. Does anyone else have any experience with something like this?
Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure IMG_4290.PNG
Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure IMG_4285.PNG

Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure IMG_4287
Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure 101000097625866

Last edited:

BRZtoTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BRZ =>Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
Is your tire asymmetric 3 or 5? I just had mine installed.. I also noticed slight decrease in tire pressure from 42 to 38 but I only run about 600 miles with the new tires.

OP
OP
Vim Schrotnock

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had the original Goodyears (first Turbo S in Cinti).
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 in sizes 265/35ZR21 101Y XL and 305/30ZR21 104Y XL

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
This is nearly always an alignment / spacer / increased camber issue, in combination, often in combination with run flat sidewalls.
tire takes about 15k-20k and then sidewall on the inside just shreds. If you use spacers, either remove them or redo alignment. Pirelli has the same issue. To much pressure on the inside wall.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Looks like structural failure due to too much negative camber to me.
Do you drive with the Sport + setting or do a lot of miles cruising motorways? Both of these lower the car which increases the negative camber.

MT-1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan turbo x 2
Country flag
I had the same problem after 22,000 km (also with the Goodyears tires) My Porsche dealer said it was normal 🤔. I now drive with Pirelli. Just wait…

OP
OP
Vim Schrotnock

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is not a tire issue, this is a Taycan issue. I've attached a picture from another forum, and these are Conti tires. The poster said all tires were within alignment specs, and there was 4-5mm left on the tread. Very concerning...

Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure Conti Tire Failure

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
This is not a tire issue, this is a Taycan issue. I've attached a picture from another forum, and these are Conti tires. The poster said all tires were within alignment specs, and there was 4-5mm left on the tread. Very concerning...

Conti Tire Failure.png
You definitely wouldn't want to drive that car down an autobahn at 150mph. Something worth mentioning to Porsche.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Conti Tire Failure.png
Very surprisen to hear and see your experience with Good Year F1 tyres. My tyres lasted well over 40,000 km and were only replaced because of one front damaged by a pothole bulge and one rear tyre managed to pick up a big self tapping screw. All tyres had very even wear across the surface with between 3 - 4 mm thread left. The ar has been driven mainly in Normal mode but also sport or sport plus mode.

Really curious how your tyres have been so badly worn? Must be due to very bad alignment I would have thought, but your report shows different??

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
I had the same with my E AMG, 20” 295, 20k and done… it’s not a Taycan issue it’s a performance car camber issue. And it gets worse using spacers

OP
OP
Vim Schrotnock

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've asked my service advisor to check my alignment in the 'low' setting for the air suspension. I can't believe that Porsche would allow the driver to select a suspension setting that would throw the wheels out of alignment and cause a potentially catastrophic failure of the tires. But I can't believe they sold a charger that wasn't designed to satisfy their labeled specs either (class action suit filed in March of this year).🤨

OP
OP
Vim Schrotnock

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had the same with my E AMG, 20” 295, 20k and done… it’s not a Taycan issue it’s a performance car camber issue. And it gets worse using spacers
I've seen quite a few tires wear because of negative camber, but nothing like this. If you look at the picture, the tread just 1" from the inner edge of the tire is not unusually worn. Something is not right in Stuttgart...:(

Ipercool

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan GTS ST - 22 BMW i3S - 18 MINI Countryman
Country flag
Same problem here.
Rear tyre on passenger's side started to loose pressure.
I verified and the inside face was like in pictures.

25.000 km.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure 20230707_101238
Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure 20230707_101254

The other tyre was ok.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Problem - potential catastrophic tire failure 20230707_101303

Last edited:

Ipercool

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan GTS ST - 22 BMW i3S - 18 MINI Countryman
Country flag
On front side tyres are gone on the inside border.
13.000 km only.
Usually normal mode drive, sometimes Sport+ or Range mode.
Tomorrow i'll post some pictures.
Sponsored

Last edited: