Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari 360 spider, Jaguar I-pace, VW Karmann Ghia
Country flag
I did a quick search and couldn't find much.....so I'm posting!

The CR2032 battery in these fob remotes, I've changed mine about 3-4x now, it seems like they last about 2-3 months and then die (granted the batteries were eBay bulk pack). I do leave my remote in the car so perhaps that's part of it....but OMG, I'm almost ready to buy rechargeable disc batteries for these remotes, the lifespan is appalling! Most my cars the remote battery is good for 4-6 years
Sponsored

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
It's because you leave it in the car. Keep the key away from the car when you're not using it so it doesn't constantly communicate with the car. Search for the word "faraday" on this forum and you'll find a lot more info.

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's because you leave it in the car. Keep the key away from the car when you're not using it so it doesn't constantly communicate with the car. Search for the word "faraday" on this forum and you'll find a lot more info.
Yeah, that's what I figured, thanks for confirming. I don't like keeping it away from the car, it means I might not find it when I'm rushing out the door...but yeah, I get it, thanks again

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Agree that sounds like the issue.

My car is Aug 21 and original key fob battery is still working fine.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag

The CR2032 battery in these fob remotes, I've changed mine about 3-4x now, it seems like they last about 2-3 months and then die (granted the batteries were eBay bulk pack). I do leave my remote in the car so perhaps that's part of it....but OMG, I'm almost ready to buy rechargeable disc batteries for these remotes, the lifespan is appalling! Most my cars the remote battery is good for 4-6 years
I do NOT leave mine in the car....they have lasted 2 years and are still going! ..quite a difference.

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '20 Stinger, '16 Pilot
Country flag
When I took delivery of my car yesterday, my SA warned us, if you hang your keys near the car in the garage (husband does), DON’T. He said it will kill the battery, even just being within 20 feet away. I keep my keys in my purse which ends up deeper into the house so I’ll probably be okay.

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When I took delivery of my car yesterday, my SA warned us, if you hang your keys near the car in the garage (husband does), DON’T. He said it will kill the battery, even just being within 20 feet away. I keep my keys in my purse which ends up deeper into the house so I’ll probably be okay.
We keep all our keys in the cars so we never need to go looking through pants, shorts, various rooms and other places. We're behind gates, no security issue. Keeping keys inside the house is about 60-feet away but I'd need a place to routinely keep them.....and only the Taycan would need this.

And why can't these cars show the charge level without turning the thing on? So many whacky things about this car....but it's sooooo nice to drive!

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '20 Stinger, '16 Pilot
Country flag
We keep all our keys in the cars so we never need to go looking through pants, shorts, various rooms and other places. We're behind gates, no security issue. Keeping keys inside the house is about 60-feet away but I'd need a place to routinely keep them.....and only the Taycan would need this.

And why can't these cars show the charge level without turning the thing on? So many whacky things about this car....but it's sooooo nice to drive!
That’s wild. I never in a million years thought to leave keys in a car! But then, I grew up where you drove your car until it was stolen and then got a new one. Thank goodness I’ve never experienced a theft as an adult, but take my keys out of my cold dead hands! 🤣

Now I’m reading all this faraday pouch stuff… I learn so much every day here!

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That’s wild. I never in a million years thought to leave keys in a car! But then, I grew up where you drove your car until it was stolen and then got a new one. Thank goodness I’ve never experienced a theft as an adult, but take my keys out of my cold dead hands! 🤣

Now I’m reading all this faraday pouch stuff… I learn so much every day here!
Well, to be fair....we live in the city but we have front gates and then a middle gate and 3 dogs for anyone to get through before they get near the garage. To be clear, we only leave our keys in the cars AT HOME....not when we're out & about. I should have clarified on that, sorry.

Also, having 3 daughters and my wife.....the last thing I need to do is start asking WHO HAS THE KEYS when I go to a car and find no keys in the center console. I simply don't have time to play 'find the fob' and you know that's bound to happen when running slightly late for an important meeting or something......

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did a search and some research on Faraday pouch and for about $10 I can get 2 of them from Amazon....easy enough.

Question: so after I park the Taycan in my garage and slip the fob into the pouch, can I then leave it in the car and it'll be fine....OR...will the Taycan automatically lock the doors after a certain period of time? I do believe, once we walk away from the car with the fob in our pocket (or more accurately, the fob is away from the car), the car will auto-lock itself?

Somebody mentioned disabling keyless entry or something like that. I know, I need to read the manual and do the research but I'm just so darn busy with so many other things that I simply don't get around to it. There's a LOT of intricacies with this car!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

As others have said don't leave in the car.

Seems odd that you wouldn't choose to lock the car either which you can't do with the keys in the car.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
I got those very cheap pound shop blisters with 12 cr2032’s have been using them for years in fobs, they last about a year before the cars start moaning about laying the fobs at the contact point. For Taycan it being the rear cupholder) at that time I change them.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Question: so after I park the Taycan in my garage and slip the fob into the pouch, can I then leave it in the car and it'll be fine....OR...will the Taycan automatically lock the doors after a certain period of time? I do believe, once we walk away from the car with the fob in our pocket (or more accurately, the fob is away from the car), the car will auto-lock itself?
The Taycan does not auto lock when you walk away from the car. It does lower the door handles after a certain period of time but it’s not locked and you can simple lift up the handles from their lowered position to open the door.

You should be able to test if the pouches are working by trying to start the car with the key in the pouch inside the car. If the pouch works properly the car should not turn on (I think it displays a message about the key not being detected but I’m not sure).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Did a search and some research on Faraday pouch and for about $10 I can get 2 of them from Amazon....easy enough.

Somebody mentioned disabling keyless entry or something like that. I know, I need to read the manual and do the research but I'm just so darn busy with so many other things that I simply don't get around to it. There's a LOT of intricacies with this car!
The car will not auto lock.

The only time this occurs is when you unlock but don't open any door, trunk, or frunk within 45 seconds.

The car will lock and if you have power fold mirrors then they will remain extended to remind you of what just happened.

Disabling is simply invoked by depressing the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob for a couple of seconds.

Owners manual is your friend.

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
It so annoying that the car keeps on communicating with the FOB when the car is off... like when you are sitting in the car waiting, there is this annoying ticking sound as the FOB LED keeps flashing... had to change batteries twice on each of the FOB's.
Sponsored