Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
update: looks like my 2nd roof was The new version of the roof and still cracked. OPC is making a claim to Porsche France and will ask for technical response before doing anything else.
I popped into Reading this afternoon and they had a Volcano Grey ST 4S with thd roof out and the new roof just about to go in.

My SA said they still don't know the root cause but think it is related to the way the adhesive drys and shrinks possibly distorting the roof as it sets. He said factory use a one pack adhesive and roof fitted by robot the replacement roofs are fitted with a 2 pack adhesive which sets quickly so working time is about 5 mins. He said they have changed the spec of the adhesive about 4 times.
The only good news was replacement roofs are now arriving within 2 weeks of ordering.
Given the problem isn't on the Saloon it does suggest the spec of the glass isn't good enough for the size of the roof?

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne coupe Hybrid BMW i3S
Country flag
I popped into Reading this afternoon and they had a Volcano Grey ST 4S with thd roof out and the new roof just about to go in.

My SA said they still don't know the root cause but think it is related to the way the adhesive drys and shrinks possibly distorting the roof as it sets. He said factory use a one pack adhesive and roof fitted by robot the replacement roofs are fitted with a 2 pack adhesive which sets quickly so working time is about 5 mins. He said they have changed the spec of the adhesive about 4 times.
The only good news was replacement roofs are now arriving within 2 weeks of ordering.
Given the problem isn't on the Saloon it does suggest the spec of the glass isn't good enough for the size of the roof?
So they are still no the wiser, I don’t want to have to go to the OPC every month to have a new roof put on. The roofs are cracking regardless of robot or human. I think it must be the car not the roof

OP
OP
batteredhaddock

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
My opc says it might be on the car. They noticed that crack are starting from soldering points.
Did forward this thread to my OPC along with the conjecture on soldering points. They had a really good look when replaced roof and nothing obvious on mine. My second roof (1st replacement) cracked in a different place too (from the rear as opposed to from the sides). It’s due in for its 2nd replacement roof in 10 days so will see if they‘ve had any update.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Did forward this thread to my OPC along with the conjecture on soldering points. They had a really good look when replaced roof and nothing obvious on mine. My second roof (1st replacement) cracked in a different place too (from the rear as opposed to from the sides). It’s due in for its 2nd replacement roof in 10 days so will see if they‘ve had any update.
So frustrating (and a worry).

Could the car be flexing?

G7SUM

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST 2023
Country flag
watching this one carefully as ive ordered a glass roof for my GTS ST. I had this on on a Mercedes coupe around 15 years ago which was painful and took 4 roofs to put the problem right! Please keep us all updated.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag

Could well be flexing. Given they have not been able to identify the root cause after all this time it points to glass either being defective or not strong enough to cope with car flex. It would be interesting to know if turismo glass is identical to saloon other than size

OP
OP
batteredhaddock

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag

All cars will flex to an extent (even as amazingly planted as our Taycans) so needs to be a little give but I’ve purposely chucked it about ( in the name of science naturally) and doing so doesn’t seem to make any difference. Given this replacement roof cracked before leaving the dealer forecourt, who knows but there are a hell of a lot of CTs and now it seems STs with the issue. Annoying for me for sure (though don’t notice day to day as I’m a front seat driver), but its on PCP, VWFS are the ultimate owners and its down as a manufacturing issue so I’m covered there. Think still more likely its a glass misspec.
Sponsored