W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
All cars will flex to an extent (even as amazingly planted as our Taycans) so needs to be a little give but I’ve purposely chucked it about ( in the name of science naturally) and doing so doesn’t seem to make any difference. Given this replacement roof cracked before leaving the dealer forecourt, who knows but there are a hell of a lot of CTs and now it seems STs with the issue. Annoying for me for sure (though don’t notice day to day as I’m a front seat driver), but its on PCP, VWFS are the ultimate owners and its down as a manufacturing issue so I’m covered there. Think still more likely its a glass misspec.
CT & ST have the same body shell and so would expect the issue to be generic - either its glass spec as you mention or indeed a design tolerance issue with the roof. I have the roof on my 4S saloon and don't think the glass is model / variant agnostic and therefore a different size / curve to the 'estate' variants.
Sponsored

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne coupe Hybrid BMW i3S
Country flag
CT & ST have the same body shell and so would expect the issue to be generic - either its glass spec as you mention or indeed a design tolerance issue with the roof. I have the roof on my 4S saloon and don't think the glass is model / variant agnostic and therefore a different size / curve to the 'estate' variants.
Mine is back in for 3rd the week after @batteredhaddock. OPC is very frustrated as Porsche are providing them with no info

baboum68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
what is strange is that there are many CTs without any issues and some others that have roof cracks for no obvious reasons.
Do we know anybody who’s had this definitely fixed?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
what is strange is that there are many CTs without any issues and some others that have roof cracks for no obvious reasons.
Logical conclusion is that the specification has changed either in the glass or the car. My guess is the glass.

drewbam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have a cracked roof on my Taycan Turbo sedan (due to a rock chip) and the dealer is telling me that the windshield needs to be removed and replaced to fit a new roof panel. For those of you who have had roof panels replaced, have you had to do the same, or do I need to get a second opinion on the process?

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I have a cracked roof on my Taycan Turbo sedan (due to a rock chip) and the dealer is telling me that the windshield needs to be removed and replaced to fit a new roof panel. For those of you who have had roof panels replaced, have you had to do the same, or do I need to get a second opinion on the process?
Don't know about the Sedan but not on a turismo

Porsche Taycan Lasted 9 days (Panoramic roof) 20220830_163718

OP
OP
batteredhaddock

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Mine is back in for 3rd the week after @batteredhaddock. OPC is very frustrated as Porsche are providing them with no info
I mailed VWFS Porsche Finance last week. They said they can pass on a complaint from me so will type something up over the weekend. Might give it a little more weight 🤷‍♂️.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Looking at the construction desigh of the chassis it is specified as
"Fully galvanised steel / aluminium hybrid lightweight bodyshell
Bonnet, tailgate, doors, side sections and front wings in aluminium"

I wonder how the galvanised steel and ally chassis parts are joined and if there is a possibility of a mismatch within the expected to be OK tolerances which puts enough strain on the glass to crack it?
I realise this is a most pessimistic diagnosis but the others haven't explained the multiple problems in some cars and none in others.

OP
OP
batteredhaddock

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Looking at the construction desigh of the chassis it is specified as
"Fully galvanised steel / aluminium hybrid lightweight bodyshell
Bonnet, tailgate, doors, side sections and front wings in aluminium"

I wonder how the galvanised steel and ally chassis parts are joined and if there is a possibility of a mismatch within the expected to be OK tolerances which puts enough strain on the glass to crack it?
I realise this is a most pessimistic diagnosis but the others haven't explained the multiple problems in some cars and none in others.
If that’s the case something seriously wrong at Porsche given the large number of vehicles we know of and the quite extended production ranges of them. Not like it was just a bad week’s batch in that worst case 😬.

Gary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718S Range Rover Vogue Ordered CT4T
Country flag
Hi my car went in last week for the replacement roof, as it finally arrived at the dealers.

Guess what, I got a call on Thursday to say that as it was driven out the workshop it cracked.
So now waiting for Porsche to contact Porsche dealer ship with updates as to
A new roof
B reason why it cracked, despite being informed that they can have been told where fault lies by Porsche and the issue had been resolved.
Remember before hand I was in formed that a roof bolt was the cause of the problem.

No doubt it will arrive with my bike rack

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
My parts are in, just waiting for a loaner to be available before I get it done. The bright side of this is that I was too lazy to apply the ppf to my roof, so it's a good thing I didn't as I'd have to source more material. I'm wondering if they would have warrantied the work if I had applied the PPF to the roof. Based on the replies, it looks to be more prevalent across the pond than here in the states.

Gary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718S Range Rover Vogue Ordered CT4T
Country flag
Well OPC have another roof for me to try out later this month?

I did remind them that my roof has been detailed and ceramic treatment.

Now they just also need to sort out the malfunction on the charging port, which leaves it half open and closed. Apparently when this happened on the way back from Spain earlier this month porsche informed me that not all of the upgrades have been successful, hence the problem
So even though car went back to them when they did the roof and the upgrades again, still same problem

G7SUM

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST 2023
Country flag
Well OPC have another roof for me to try out later this month?

I did remind them that my roof has been detailed and ceramic treatment.

Now they just also need to sort out the malfunction on the charging port, which leaves it half open and closed. Apparently when this happened on the way back from Spain earlier this month porsche informed me that not all of the upgrades have been successful, hence the problem
So even though car went back to them when they did the roof and the upgrades again, still same problem
My friends 4s is the same and was horrific last winter which is why I took it off my options list. It does look better admittedly.