wittkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan CT, 2008 Porsche Boxster S
Country flag
I know this has been an issue with Porsche Taycan Panoramic Roof Glass, but enough is enough!!
My 2022 Taycan CT 4S has cracked three times. First it was delivered to me with a 12 inch crack which then grew over the next 5 months to two, 24 inch cracks going toward the front and back from the passenger side center door frame. The glass cracked again shortly after in the same spot. Just before I received the car back, the shop manager informed me that the glass had broken again. Parts where then ordered again for the third repair and I wait.
The car has been in the shop for over 5 months total and no estimate date of when I will get it back. Meanwhile, I continue to pay the monthly lease payment of over $2,500 and insurance with little response from Porsche Customer Service.
The car is barely a year old! Soon it will have spent more time in the repair shop than in my garage!! Very frustrated!!
Yes, it has the roof bars. I asked the Porsche shop manager if we should leave them off. He said no.
Any advice out there?
Sponsored

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m jonesing to get a VW ID Buzz when it’s finally available here in the States next year, but that massive glass roof it has gives me pause given all the problems people are having on here with their roofs.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I know this has been an issue with Porsche Taycan Panoramic Roof Glass, but enough is enough!!
My 2022 Taycan CT 4S has cracked three times. First it was delivered to me with a 12 inch crack which then grew over the next 5 months to two, 24 inch cracks going toward the front and back from the passenger side center door frame. The glass cracked again shortly after in the same spot. Just before I received the car back, the shop manager informed me that the glass had broken again. Parts where then ordered again for the third repair and I wait.
The car has been in the shop for over 5 months total and no estimate date of when I will get it back. Meanwhile, I continue to pay the monthly lease payment of over $2,500 and insurance with little response from Porsche Customer Service.
The car is barely a year old! Soon it will have spent more time in the repair shop than in my garage!! Very frustrated!!
Yes, it has the roof bars. I asked the Porsche shop manager if we should leave them off. He said no.
Any advice out there?
I would spend a few hundred $ to get a lawyer to send your OPC, Porsche NA and Porsche AG a letter demanding a replacement vehicle. There are plenty of stock vehicles Porsche need to move at the moment.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
When I hear about roof glass cracking, I immediately think about the torsional rigidity of the body and whether certain cars went through the robotic structural assembly process correctly. With the size of the glass roof, it is critical that the vehicle maintain its structural integrity when under various loads during normal operation.

lwc1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
i just had my roof replaced. 1st one was due to a rock chip. Then the body shop cracked my windshield when they were removing the roof. OK now everything is put back together, went to wash and detail, the roof cracked right where the roof rails are on driver front and passenger rear. The shop had to order another roof, unboxed that one and it was already cracked. My insurance paid 12k for the repairs, it was in the shop for about a month. Fingers crossed it won't happen again. I got my car july 2023

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
i just had my roof replaced. 1st one was due to a rock chip. Then the body shop cracked my windshield when they were removing the roof. OK now everything is put back together, went to wash and detail, the roof cracked right where the roof rails are on driver front and passenger rear. The shop had to order another roof, unboxed that one and it was already cracked. My insurance paid 12k for the repairs, it was in the shop for about a month. Fingers crossed it won't happen again. I got my car july 2023
12k for a bit of glass. world has gone mad!

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Is it only taycans with roof rails that have this issue?
I don't believe so.

There are a few threads on here about it and one with a service bulletin link. I think it's something to do with installation tolerances. But I think torsional rigidity is key, as mentioned above... And that any could therefore be afflicted.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It is not likely to be torsional rigidity IMO otherwise almost all of them would have it and it would start after some spirited driving whereas in fact it has been on cars at delivery, and in the early days the replacement cracked soon too.

That strikes me as production tolerance of the assembly of the pressings where in some shells by the time the glass is bonded flush it has too much stress in it already.

This seems to me to be a more credible explainion of why it seems mainly confined to certain cars not all CTs.

What would be interesting (to me anyway) is to know how it is rectified in shells with repeated cracked roofs. Is it a known "high spot" that can be fixed? Do they use a more flexible adhesive?

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
+1 on the cracked roof here - Sport Turismo with roof bars.

Repaired today (and looks pristine....no stray bits of glass, no dodgily fitted trims).

Annoying, but a warranty repair.

Didn't get chance to follow up today, but am asking what they think the cause is :)

Endodoc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
My 2022 Taycan does have the glass roof and I had it tinted (insde) 95% to protect my bald head. I had to replace the cracked roof on my 2015 S Class Mercedes Coupe. What a mess. The dealer cracked the windshield when installing new wiper blades. They had to replace the windshield on their dime. The windshield and glass roof touched at the front seam and they started a crack in the glass roof. They denied responsibility, so my insurance (USAA) covered the claim. That got confused because the glass contractor (Safelite) sent me to a sunroof shop who could not do the complicated repair. The Mercedes dealer had to remove the entire headliner , electric shade mechanism and replace the glass roof. In the process, the electric shade was destroyed and also had to be replaced. I was in the middle between the dealer and the insurance company. It did finally get done. MY advice for glass roof replacement. Have your insurance company send you to a Porsche Certified BODY SHOP and process the claim under COMPREHENSIVE (Not glass repair)
USAA glass repair department automatically routes all call to their contractor(Safelite). Now I am prepared to know how to get a glass roof replaced. Good luck to all of you.
Sponsored