Losing power issue

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
As I was near to the exit and there was an emergency lane it was no problem at all. But the same happening while overtaking, on a winding road through the woods or in a construction area with no emergency lane might be annoying. At least cause of some honks honking :)
True! I am very familiar with that situation with my ICEs, you hit the pedal hard, but no power, and when the gears, turbo, refs are aligned, it is too late and you have to hit the break, sometimes quite hard. Luckily, these days are gone with my Taycan!
Sponsored

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
For those of you who experienced the issue do you remember how long the car was on (i.e. how long you have been driving till the car stalled)? Rough estimate? Was it in for more than half hour? More than an hour?

Based on the dealer's description of the rear drive module getting overwhelmed it is possible that this is a gradual degradation like the memory getting fragmented over time and then the module crashes due to an OutOfMem exception. Then a restart clears the module's memory and all is back to normal.

I am trying to see if a restart of the car after 30 mins helps reduce the risk of the problem happening.

OP
OP
AlexPx

AlexPx

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi.
For those of you who experienced the issue do you remember how long the car was on (i.e. how long you have been driving till the car stalled)? Rough estimate? Was it in for more than half hour? More than an hour?

Based on the dealer's description of the rear drive module getting overwhelmed it is possible that this is a gradual degradation like the memory getting fragmented over time and then the module crashes due to an OutOfMem exception. Then a restart clears the module's memory and all is back to normal.

I am trying to see if a restart of the car after 30 mins helps reduce the risk of the problem happening.
Remembering it was about half an hour. Google maps said it should be about 40 minutes after start. But I’m still convinced that it happend because of turning the mode switch while the pcm was freezed.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi.

Remembering it was about half an hour. Google maps said it should be about 40 minutes after start. But I’m still convinced that it happend because of turning the mode switch while the pcm was freezed.
I don't think your problem is related to the PCM but I do believe it ws triggered by the driving mode change. Of course it is all speculation.
You can imagine that if the rear drive module is in a degraded state then an additional command to change mode (which require further processing like switch gears and adjust power) can lead to the fatal error sooner.

Last edited:

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
This happened to me on the cliff side winding road of Highway 1 north of San Francisco. Literally the nightmare scenario, cliff faces, blind turns, and no power rolling. I was able to wrestle it to a stop on the gravel of a slight turn-off before a drop into the ocean.

I was not driving hard (40mph) and I was not driving particularly long or fiddling with anything.

Don't kid yourself about this issue that there is some trick or trigger.. When it happens it happens and it can be awful.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
This happened to me on the cliff side winding road of Highway 1 north of San Francisco. Literally the nightmare scenario, cliff faces, blind turns, and no power rolling. I was able to wrestle it to a stop on the gravel of a slight turn-off before a drop into the ocean.

I was not driving hard (40mph) and I was not driving particularly long or fiddling with anything.

Don't kid yourself about this issue that there is some trick or trigger.. When it happens it happens and it can be awful.
if you haven't already - report this on the NHTSA site https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Valerian

First Name
Valerian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Losing power in that situation for a half way skilled driver is not an issue, just hit the hazard warning light and get to the right side. The car coasts, breaking and steering works.
Not on a ‘smart’ motorway in the UK where they have removed the hard shoulder.
I was lucky when mine lost power that I was near a service area. My PCM went out and was trying to connect, car was in Range mode which I thought odd as I had air con on, car lost power but don’t remember warnings on dash, didn’t change mode, got off motorway... stopped and restarted and was fine. I have emailed the dealer but no response yet.

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
Losing power in that situation for a half way skilled driver is not an issue, just hit the hazard warning light and get to the right side. The car coasts, breaking and steering works.
I had it go into limp home mode once, only allowed 20Mph. Dealer checked, nothing wrong, no help from Porsche. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND DANGEROUS. ON TOP OF THIS WHEN IT GOES INTO THIS MODE i THINK THE CAR SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY TURN ON THE HAZARD LIGHT! LET THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM. Of my soapbox.

Craig Cappai

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Roover
Country flag
I just picked up my Taycan at the Porsche Experience in Atlanta. We were unable to link my car to my account so I was a guest and had to reenter each time I started the car. Does the link always take a few days to get registered?

My second experience is the I got the error message while trying to start it in the parking lot that you all are talking about. My question is, is this car safe with all these shutdowns? This is my first post so I would appreciate any feedback.

Side note-I asked two salesmen at the dealership and no one had heard of this issue!

Thanks for any feedback.

PS I do love the car!

Porsche Taycan Losing power issue IMG_0978 - Copy.JPG

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
I just picked up my Taycan at the Porsche Experience in Atlanta. We were unable to link my car to my account so I was a guest and had to reenter each time I started the car. Does the link always take a few days to get registered?

My second experience is the I got the error message while trying to start it in the parking lot that you all are talking about. My question is, is this car safe with all these shutdowns? This is my first post so I would appreciate any feedback.

Side note-I asked two salesmen at the dealership and no one had heard of this issue!

Thanks for any feedback.

PS I do love the car!

IMG_0978 - Copy.JPG
It is not safe to drive

the dealership is lying

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Thanks for any feedback.

PS I do love the car!
If you got error messages then take your car back for service and demand for a loaner.
You should also insist they fix the account issue too before you take your car back. You can find many threads about account issues in this forum, some have taken weeks to be resolved. Here is an example https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/brand-new-taycan-cant-log-into-porsche-id-in-vehicle.4855/

It doesn't really matter if the salesmen haven't heard of the issues (even though there was a stop sale and test drive freeze), because after you give them your money they are out of the picture. From now on you have to deal with the service people who hopefully have heard of the issues.
Good luck!
Sponsored

Last edited: