cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo '22 (ordered),MB E350, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
Seems like this car is a luxurious alternative to a Tesla. More in the EQS segment. Btw, there’s something off in the styling of both the Lucid and the EQS. Is it just me? Seems like by praying at the altar of Cd, they developed very unattractive cars, IMO. Somehow Porsche got a 0.22 AND produced styling as beautiful as any other car on the road, ICE or EV.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Seems like this car is a luxurious alternative to a Tesla. More in the EQS segment. Btw, there’s something off in the styling of both the Lucid and the EQS. Is it just me? Seems like by praying at the altar of Cd, they developed very unattractive cars, IMO. Somehow Porsche got a 0.22 AND produced styling as beautiful as any other car on the road, ICE or EV.
True, but the price Porsche had to pay for it IMHO is a smaller interior volume for its outside dimensions than either the EQS or the Lucid. Given my own priorities, that does not bother me at all but for a family it probably makes a difference.

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
True, but the price Porsche had to pay for it IMHO is a smaller interior volume for its outside dimensions than either the EQS or the Lucid. Given my own priorities, that does not bother me at all but for a family it probably makes a difference.
Ah. I don’t know enough about the physics to appreciate that. But if that’s the case, then it’s a Taycan for me and a Lucid for the wife ?

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Btw, I love that Lucid is also included with 3 years of EA charging. Should mean a faster, more robust build out - especially of 800V architecture.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There is a bit of a problem brewing here. The Taycan has been range competitive with the older Tesla's. But the new model 3 and Lucid have 100 kWh batteries.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
There is a bit of a problem brewing here. The Taycan has been range competitive with the older Tesla's. But the new model 3 and Lucid have 100 kWh batteries.
And the new Ford F150 EV truck is rumored to have even bigger batteries, setting a new standard and level of expectations.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
And the new Ford F150 EV truck is rumored to have even bigger batteries, setting a new standard and level of expectations.
I don’t see an issue. I think we will see different battery sizes, motor choices/efficiency/power, and different ranges based on application. Ford 150L will need much larger battery to haul load for more than 100 miles, Lucid is a “grand tourer” so priority is range, but Taycan is still the ”Sport Sedan” entry for Porsche. This determines the decisions on battery size/weight, vs efficiency and power.

I am sure the Macan will have different set of choices. Because face it, its an SUV.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I kinda like the look of the Air. It has a very clean look. Luxury sedans aren't my thing, but I find it appealing from the EV perspective. The interior reminds me of a luxury version of the Taycan. It's what a future Panamera or Cayenne interior should look like.

The EQS on the other hand I find very unattractive. It looks light a tic tac. I really dislike the bi-color exterior with the line along the front fender. I also think the interior looks like a caricature of a futuristic car.

JustLooking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Huracan, M2, R1 (+ Emira, CyberTruck)
Country flag
The single pane of glass looks really awesome from the inside. Wonder how that impacts safety?

Mike V

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
918, Taycan GTS ST, Tesla Model S P100D
Country flag
I kinda like the look of the Air. It has a very clean look. Luxury sedans aren't my thing, but I find it appealing from the EV perspective. The interior reminds me of a luxury version of the Taycan. It's what a future Panamera or Cayenne interior should look like.

The EQS on the other hand I find very unattractive. It looks light a tic tac. I really dislike the bi-color exterior with the line along the front fender. I also think the interior looks like a caricature of a futuristic car.
I had the good fortune to see the Lucid Air in person at the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance this past weekend. I have to say, it looks even better in person that it does in pictures. The "dramatic" photo angles used in the marketing pix make it look interesting. After seeing it in person, lots of commenters find it even more attractive.

Two of the Lucid marketing execs I chatted up were former Tesla folks that remembered me and my wife from a 2008 Monterey car-week meet up in 2008 when they were showing around Tesla's original Roadster. They mentioned that the competitive bench marks were BMW 7-series, Mercedes S-class, etc. Clearly up market and lots of interior room. The trunk (boot) space looked enormous and sitting in the interior gave an impression of much more generous elbow/shoulder/head/leg room than my Taycan.

On hearing my comment that the Air looked even better in person than photos, one exec commented that it looks better yet seeing it in moving traffic. He formed this opinion while following it in a chase car on one of its testing excursions. So there's that.

I'm waiting to see what solution they adopt for a radar-detector/toll-transponder accommodation through the solar-rejecting metallic coating in the "canopy" windshield (& partly roof) glass. They told me they were evaluating various alternatives.

Last edited:

artdept

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
t -model 3, Dodge Coin Style Model Y, white taycan
Country flag
saw one of these on the 880 freway here in teh bay area, had a lot of sensors and instruments attached. Im sure the car is advanced and all, but it reminds me of a lincoln. it will be interesting to see how they sell.. It surprising how car companys are using nex gen technology but are designing like we are still in 2000

Reactions: cfp

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
The single pane of glass looks really awesome from the inside. Wonder how that impacts safety?
Not a fan of that single piece of glass at all, plus if the windshield gets cracked, do you have to replace the whole damn thing as one unit?

Porsche Taycan Lucid Air first ride received_135384381985395

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I was also able to see one of these at Lucid's showroom in LA a couple weeks ago. The exterior is not that exciting for me, kind of reminds me of a Lincoln or something marketed more towards older folks. The interior definitely appeared to have nice materials, though I'm sure it was fully specced out.

Porsche Taycan Lucid Air first ride IMG_3880
Porsche Taycan Lucid Air first ride IMG_3881
Porsche Taycan Lucid Air first ride IMG_3882

Porsche Taycan Lucid Air first ride IMG_3878

Porsche Taycan Lucid Air first ride IMG_3879