JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So a car that can’t do 10-20 laps at a Track is no sports car. Learning new things here everyday. If I had known that my VW Polo 1.4 TDI was a sports car I would have kept it.. damn…
Look at Formula E Racing. Short races. EV's can't do endurance races or even longish races. But you can get a few minutes of fun.
Sponsored

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
you suspect wrong, although only one of us has tracked a Taycan.

Porsche also tried to convince us the Macan was a sports car too when it came out. The 911 of SUV's. On a re-purposed Q5 platform. Really?

Enjoy your Taycan. It is an absolutely wonderful vehicle. Really, I do not say this to denigrate it in ANY way, please understand that. Nor the Macan. For what it is, I think it's a fabulous product. It's way more fun than any SUV has any right to be. And my Cayenne too. I'd defend that thing as being one of the best handling SUV's ever made.

With the Taycan, the fact that it is a 5,000 sedan makes it more remarkable how capable it is, not less. If you want to call it a sports car, go ahead. I'll never think of it that way. I've owned two 911's. I've literally, on several occasions, driven my 911 to go test drive a Taycan. And the difference is remarkable.
Having just driven a Macan, the Taycan is in a different league. On a Porsche experience day when I had the chance to drive a Taycan Turbo against a GT3, 911 Turbo S and 911 Carrera 4S (and Cayenne Turbo S) the difference was much less noticeable. The lighter 911’s were more nimble and better on the wet track but on the dry track the Taycan was faster IMO.

Last edited:

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
Having just driven a Macan, the Taycan is in a different league. On a Porsche experience day when I had the chance to drive a Taycan Turbo against a GT3, 911 Turbo S and 911 Carrera 4S (and Cayenne Turbo S) the difference was much less noticeable. The lighter 911’s were more nimble and better on the wet track but on the dry track the Taycan was faster IMO.
Yup, depends on the track.

@daveo4EV has had both his GT3 (and other sports cars) as well as his Taycan on the track at Laguna. He's sent me data showing me how much faster the Taycan is at the end of the straight....and how it loses that time through the curves.

The plaid is fast on the'Ring because the Ring rewards high HP, quick accelerating cars. lots of long straights the Plaid can eat up. But if you watch the Plaid 'Ring video vs. the Taycan, the Plaid is a total mess through the corners. The Taycan looks boring by comparison. .

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@Needsdecaf - here is the table comparing my 1:37.xx GT3 lap to Plaid's 1:30.30 published Laguna Lap - differences are pro driving carrying slightly more speed in some mid corners (not all) but massive difference in straight line speed - but if you watch the steering wheel on the two videos - the GT3 lap is less dramatic in the corners…also GT3 is on street tires - unclear what types of tires were on the plaid for the Laguna lap - add some hoosiers to the GT3 and I'm betting mid-corner it's faster…and still more composed and less dramatic…

here is the link to the video of the lap I've compared…

we know the "best" lap @ laguna for a GT3 is 1:34.xx…

here is the link to the "plaid" lap -

these two videos were the data source for the table below

it's all straight line speed and nasty cornering (if you watch the drama with the steering wheel in the corners) - far less drama for me with the GT3 mid corner…and in some cases on corner exit…I mean plaid is on the ragged edge, but the straight line speed is the real deal here - but composed in the corners is "not" how I'd describe this lap for the Plaid…

Porsche Taycan Lucid vs Plaid vs EQS vs Taycan by Out of Spec Reviews Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 1.56.40 PM

Last edited:
OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thinking about what I most like about the Taycan. When I point it somewhere, it goes there. And quickly.
Sponsored