First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Taycan CT4S
Country flag
Hi All,

I've been really struggling with the Matrix LED lights. When using them I get flashed by a lot of cars and I can clearly see the gaps in the beam aren't working properly. Sometimes it almost looks like fingers in the light so rather than one tunnel around the car there are multiple tunnels so they must see an almost flashing affect. When following someone the light seems to build the tunnel but only from about 1/3 of the way across the back of the car in front so still being very bright in their mirrors.

My car was in for the battery recall and I mentioned it there. At first the completely dismissed it as a potential problem and said they will get their master person to show me the PCM options as it will likely be a configuration issue....I reminded them there were no configs for it and that its either on auto or not. When I collected my car they said they had "adjusted" the lights but couldn't tell me anything about how or where or why. I drove home and the issue is even worse now. I'm flashed by 90% of cars and when following people more like 1/2 the car is full beamed and only half has the tunnel across it.

Has anyone else had issue with this feature?
Sponsored

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Sounds like a calibration issue to me. Mine certainly don't do that - they very accurately box out the car in front.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi All,

I've been really struggling with the Matrix LED lights. When using them I get flashed by a lot of cars and I can clearly see the gaps in the beam aren't working properly. Sometimes it almost looks like fingers in the light so rather than one tunnel around the car there are multiple tunnels so they must see an almost flashing affect. When following someone the light seems to build the tunnel but only from about 1/3 of the way across the back of the car in front so still being very bright in their mirrors.

My car was in for the battery recall and I mentioned it there. At first the completely dismissed it as a potential problem and said they will get their master person to show me the PCM options as it will likely be a configuration issue....I reminded them there were no configs for it and that its either on auto or not. When I collected my car they said they had "adjusted" the lights but couldn't tell me anything about how or where or why. I drove home and the issue is even worse now. I'm flashed by 90% of cars and when following people more like 1/2 the car is full beamed and only half has the tunnel across it.

Has anyone else had issue with this feature?
Not had this issue.

There is a setting for switching from left hand side to right hand side driving - check that that isn't set incorrectly for starters

There are other settings too

Porsche Taycan Matrix LED Light Issue Screenshot_20231201-144234_My Porsche

OP
OP
Rusk

Rusk

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Taycan CT4S
Country flag
Sounds like a calibration issue to me. Mine certainly don't do that - they very accurately box out the car in front.
Is is a really obvious box around oncoming cars too? Do you get flashed much?

OP
OP
Rusk

Rusk

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Taycan CT4S
Country flag
Ironically the loan car they gave me while they had mine in was a BMW X1 (terrible thing) and it had matrix LEDs which worked perfectly and I never got flash while using them!

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Is is a really obvious box around oncoming cars too? Do you get flashed much?
Not had the car long but have done several hours in the dark. Never been flashed once. It is a really clear box around the car in front.

OP
OP
Rusk

Rusk

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Taycan CT4S
Country flag
Guess it is back to the dealer again then! What a pain.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Mine work perfectly fine.
Have Porsche check the light.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I do occasionally get flashed but there is a clear box around cars in front or coming the other way. I see the box clearing as the cars pass. Works pretty well most of the time I think. Although I have followed my son in his car who told me that it doesn’t work all of the time. Not sure quite how bad it was in his mirror

The Riddler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I do occasionally get flashed but there is a clear box around cars in front or coming the other way. I see the box clearing as the cars pass. Works pretty well most of the time I think. Although I have followed my son in his car who told me that it doesn’t work all of the time. Not sure quite how bad it was in his mirror
This is what i have; works most of the time but definitely not as accurate as the matrix lights in my previous cayenne which were faultless. I wonder if the mounting height of the sensor has anything to do with it…

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
This is what i have; works most of the time but definitely not as accurate as the matrix lights in my previous cayenne which were faultless. I wonder if the mounting height of the sensor has anything to do with it…
Maybe the electronics can’t keep up with dynamic driving? See if it helps when you drive really slow, like the speed limit. 🤷‍♂️

Porsche Taycan Matrix LED Light Issue IMG_6682

OP
OP
Rusk

Rusk

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Taycan CT4S
Country flag
Update on this one, I managed to get a video clearly showing that when I follow a vehicle at night with the matrix set to auto you can see the beam cuts about halfway across the back. This means that right side of the car has the darkened box but the left side is full beam. You canhowever, see the beam moving around and adjusting but it just seems to not be able to define the edge of the vehicle in front correctly.

I sent the video to the dealer and the master tech decided it was working correctly :facepalm:

I said the only way I will really know is if I can take another Taycan out with matrix in the dark. This was finally arranged today and I had a lovely GTS ST. It got dark out and I went for a solid 30 minute drive around the lanes near my house and it was a night and day (pun intended) difference. I wasn’t once flashed by oncoming, which I’m am constantly in mine, and the darkened box was nice and tight ( but not touching at all) to the left side of the vehicle I was following.

I went up and down the roads I know well multiple times trying to find different vehicle types and seizes to make sure I had a fair test.

Tomorrow I take the car back and will discuss with the service manager who arranged this test. I wonder what the fix will be.

Incidentally it was the service manager that called my randomly to ask if I was happy with my last visit where they did the recalls and apparently looked at my lights. I said funny you should ask but no and I then had him as my contact which he may now regret. I imagine this will be one of those issues we will fight over.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
I've started to get a few people flash me in mine (GTS ST ironically). Previously nothing at all.

I have on my list of things for them to check headlight adjustment. Will be interesting to see what you find.

Mine does cast a neat box around cars I'm following. But oncoming cars do occasionally flash.

(I'm also constantly dazzled by cars coming the other way now....LED lights are a double-edged sword!).

OP
OP
Rusk

Rusk

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Taycan CT4S
Country flag
I've started to get a few people flash me in mine (GTS ST ironically). Previously nothing at all.

I have on my list of things for them to check headlight adjustment. Will be interesting to see what you find.

Mine does cast a neat box around cars I'm following. But oncoming cars do occasionally flash.

(I'm also constantly dazzled by cars coming the other way now....LED lights are a double-edged sword!).
They are indeed! I expect a flash every so often but mine get a flash every third car or so I would say so must be off.
I’m finding all newer mini and all Tesla M3 or MY are really bright and dazzle you a lot. I haven’t seen a laser light car that I know of yet so hopefully they are better at handling the dipping.
Sponsored