Maximum charging speed

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I'd get your home installation checked. I've used 3 different home chargers and always get 7kW plus all the way up to nearly fully charged. The cable thickness and length of the cable run affect it but 4.5kW is very low.
I get consistent ~9 kwh on a 60-amp 240V circuit | 14-50.

OP
OP
Icyfraser

Icyfraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2WD
Country flag
As an update folks, my Porsche supplied cable will not let me charge at at 7kw on a 7kw charger at home or a public charger. If I use an Audi cable I can! ....I am having words with my dealership.
Strangely enough my own cable does allow me to charge at 11kw on a 22kw charger...which I also presume is AC ?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As an update folks, my Porsche supplied cable will not let me charge at at 7kw on a 7kw charger at home or a public charger. If I use an Audi cable I can! ....I am having words with my dealership.
Strangely enough my own cable does allow me to charge at 11kw on a 22kw charger...which I also presume is AC ?
Anything up to 22kW is AC.

50kW and beyond is DC.

Doesn't sound like a cable issue but more to do with the installation. What setup do you have - charger etc?

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
the answer is that all charging units do not perform equally.
Very true, hot weather helps for sure, my trick is use nav , go below 15 % soc, then sport mode hard before charging , got 248 kw today, finally got over 200 kw,,after trying everything for over a year, def, gonna try the brake thing for sure :)

OP
OP
Icyfraser

Icyfraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2WD
Country flag
Anything up to 22kW is AC.

50kW and beyond is DC.

Doesn't sound like a cable issue but more to do with the installation. What setup do you have - charger etc?
Hi
It's a project EV. The company that installed have checked and says OK. The manufacturer have sent out an engineer and all OK. When I swap the cable over , all OK? Surely then cable issue? Works fine on DC charger with tethered connection
Thanks

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi
It's a project EV. The company that installed have checked and says OK. The manufacturer have sent out an engineer and all OK. When I swap the cable over , all OK? Surely then cable issue? Works fine on DC charger with tethered connection
Thanks
DC uses both a different cable and connector to AC. Charge port is also different.

Which cable did you select from Porsche?

OP
OP
Icyfraser

Icyfraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2WD
Country flag
Sorry t
DC uses both a different cable and connector to AC. Charge port is also different.

Which cable did you select from Porsche?
Sorry ...just to clarify. I know I don't need to use my cable on a DC charger as it is a tethered connection. When I said ' it works fine ' I meant the car charges at the correct rate.

I didn't realise there was a choice of cable to select(apart from length) as it was included by the dealership

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Basically you need to ensure that the supply has a 32 A fuse and that the supply connector from the fuse box to where it terminates at your charger (before connecting) has the same 32A rating (16A will reduce the available electricity supply). If this all hold true then you know a full single phase of electric is being fed into the charger. This will support a max of 7.4kW).

The cable from the charge point to the car must also support 32A.

Ensure the charger is set to 32A.

Alex74

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (MY22)
Country flag
Peaking at 166 kW on a 350 kW charger when starting at 7% SoC seems bad, am I missing something?
The last month a lot of taycans are charging at lower % . i’ve contacted Porsche but no response yet. But at one charge point again 267 kW
Porsche Taycan Maximum charging speed 0B597129-F9B9-4383-9086-CB13557FB6A3

OP
OP
Icyfraser

Icyfraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2WD
Country flag
Basically you need to ensure that the supply has a 32 A fuse and that the supply connector from the fuse box to where it terminates at your charger (before connecting) has the same 32A rating (16A will reduce the available electricity supply). If this all hold true then you know a full single phase of electric is being fed into the charger. This will support a max of 7.4kW).
32A fuse in consumer box and screenshot shows charger set to 32A.
Didn't know cables were rated differently...the Audi cable charges at 7kw, the Porsche one at 4ishkw

The cable from the charge point to the car must also support 32A.

Ensure the charger is set to 32A.
Porsche Taycan Maximum charging speed Screenshot_20210726-221905_Project EV

jayo3

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You should check the installer connected the power lines to the correct connector terminals. My electrician had a hot and the ground flipped in the connection to the wallbox and the system acted this same way, charging to about 1/2 the expected rate.
Also contact wallbox support. They can view diagnostics on your unit if it is connected to their cloud site.