metal roof?

DQLAV

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - Renault Captur - BMW 535i F10 (prev.)
Country flag
We got the panoramic roof, and since there are passengers in the back very often (children), it's almost required. It provides a little more headroom but most of all, it's making the car feel more spacious from the inside. I really like it and am happy i'd gone for it!

Fawad

First Name
Fawad Munir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve been pondering the same thing. Currently not spec‘d pan roof but thinking about it. Don’t really want to spend any more money on options.

Metal roof looks cool but Love the contrast the pan roof give (crayon/ black roof). Think I could wrap the roof but will this look a bit cheap finish wise?
Do think the pan roof adds the interior feel and kind of got used to pan roof in current car. Hmmm, what to do!

Wonder if there’s any pics of a tin roof in a contrast black?
Pan Roof all day long for me - you’ll welcome the additional light however you’ll have to weigh this up against the line of a metal roof which look great

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Pan Roof all day long for me - you’ll welcome the additional light however you’ll have to weigh this up against the line of a metal roof which look great
Not my choice to make now. Checked my order and my specs locked, so metal roof all the way now. Happy from one perspective as no more cost, and will now need to get the roof wrapped black once delivered. Think it will look great ( hopefully!)

RRVV17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, GLS580
Country flag
I like the Panoramic roof better for many of the reasons others already commented on. However, one thing I wish Porsche had designed slightly better was to align the flow of the rear window with the back of the Pan roof. In my opinion, kind of seems like they were designed separately and don't necessarily "go together" as they are not aligned. Make sense?

Porsche Taycan metal roof? TC04 RRwdw

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I think he was saying that the glass pano roof adds 27kg vs. the metal roof. The metal roof is lighter than the glass roof.
It is also too hot in sub tropical climate and lets too much light through. And IMHO, it looks not as good as the metal roof. I wish, I could replace it with a metal roof...

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
I like the Panoramic roof better for many of the reasons others already commented on. However, one thing I wish Porsche had designed slightly better was to align the flow of the rear window with the back of the Pan roof. In my opinion, kind of seems like they were designed separately and don't necessarily "go together" as they are not aligned. Make sense?

TC04 RRwdw.jpg
On a light-colored car, I would have a bit of dark wrap or perhaps paint to fill in between rear glass and windshield for better visual flow.

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
Any thoughts whether the interior cabin would be quieter with the metal roof?

I’m assuming the metal roof would lead to a quieter interior?

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Any thoughts whether the interior cabin would be quieter with the metal roof?
Glass roof should be quieter. Weight reduces sound - airplanes use sheet lead to reduce sound. Laminated glass also helps. The sound reducing package may also help the glass roof (speculation, do not know if the roof is different with the sound & thermal package).

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Glass roof should be quieter. Weight reduces sound - airplanes use sheet lead to reduce sound. Laminated glass also helps. The sound reducing package may also help the glass roof (speculation, do not know if the roof is different with the sound & thermal package).
Pano roof is already multi-paned; that package won't change the roof (I heard it doesn't even change the rear window because it's used for reception).

But even if the glass were better insulated than the metal, it's still a giant acoustically reflective surface in the car vs. absorptive fabric so it will be louder.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Pano roof is already multi-paned; that package won't change the roof (I heard it doesn't even change the rear window because it's used for reception).

But even if the glass were better insulated than the metal, it's still a giant acoustically reflective surface in the car vs. absorptive fabric so it will be louder.
Agree completely with the reflection of inside noise, but outside noise is reflected off of the glass roof better than metal. Have stayed at international airport hotels with triple-pane glass windows and watched jet aircraft take off in near silence while in a room close to the end of the runway.

The ability to block sound is determined by a material’s sound transmission qualities and yes, fuzzy cloth helps, but not as much as heavy glass. But cloth the same weight as glass would be amazingly quiet!

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Nickj

Did you wrap the roof in the end? Any feedback on how it looked please.

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
Do not forget: roof transport system ONLY with glass roof! My main reason why glass roof was 100% required. Otherwise I would have gone for metal roof.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
I wish Porsche had a carbon fiber roof like the e-tron GT.

Porsche Taycan metal roof? A210744_large
Sponsored