Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
Did someone try the Hankook ion Evo tyre. It is a non NFO tyre, but has a triple A rating. Seems to be a great tyre.
I might try the Hankook ion for my next set of tyres, currently using Michelin NFO tyres come with factory. Would also like to know anyone's opinion.
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I might try the Hankook ion for my next set of tyres, currently using Michelin NFO tyres come with factory. Would also like to know anyone's opinion.
I noticed from my factory tour that Porsche only seem to fit the Hankook on the 19" wheels – and it looked like all 19" wheels were getting them. Of course, this is likely just a supply/commercial arrangement.

diononiz

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cab. 2019 BMW X5 4.0i
Country flag
So on my first Taycan, it shipped with Continentals which were straight trash. They didn't wear evenly (or long), and were downright dangerous in the wet.

I replaced them with "scary warranty-voiding non-N0" Michelin PS4S and was super happy with the result.

Fast forward to my Taycan GTS, which shipped with P-Zeros (EV flavor.). I had my beloved PS4S fitted again on Monday in preparation for my trip to PCA Palooza tomorrow and...well...

I have to admit the P-Zeros were quieter. I'm not unhappy with the PS4S per se, but I can definitely notice a sound difference that was not apparent last time.

I guess my updated assessment is:

P-Zeros > PS4S > Tying rubber bands around the rim > Continentals

When I run through these PS4s, if I still have the car, I will likely return to P-Zero EV tires.

Sorry for the folks I've convinced to go this route; I was overly enthusiastic because they were such an improvement on the Contis I guess.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you for posting the update. My Pzero EV NFO tires are worn and need replacement. I was going to get the Michelins 4s but will likely go with the the Pzeros again. I too was surprised at how quiet there were with almost no noise. I will try the new MIchelin 5 S and as the Pzeros only lasted about a year. The initial reviews seem good

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
So on my first Taycan, it shipped with Continentals which were straight trash. They didn't wear evenly (or long), and were downright dangerous in the wet.

I replaced them with "scary warranty-voiding non-N0" Michelin PS4S and was super happy with the result.

Fast forward to my Taycan GTS, which shipped with P-Zeros (EV flavor.). I had my beloved PS4S fitted again on Monday in preparation for my trip to PCA Palooza tomorrow and...well...

I have to admit the P-Zeros were quieter. I'm not unhappy with the PS4S per se, but I can definitely notice a sound difference that was not apparent last time.

I guess my updated assessment is:

P-Zeros > PS4S > Tying rubber bands around the rim > Continentals

When I run through these PS4s, if I still have the car, I will likely return to P-Zero EV tires.

Sorry for the folks I've convinced to go this route; I was overly enthusiastic because they were such an improvement on the Contis I guess.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Coming from such a PS4S fan, your assessment means something. I'm sitting on the 21" P-Zeroes now, so I suppose I'll stop lusting after PS4S and dream of a future Pilot Sport S5 NF0 EV or whatever they want to call it.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
Thank you for posting the update. My Pzero EV NFO tires are worn and need replacement. I was going to get the Michelins 4s but will likely go with the the Pzeros again. I too was surprised at how quiet there were with almost no noise. I will try the new MIchelin 5 S and as the Pzeros only lasted about a year. The initial reviews seem good
Thought about Goodyear Asymmetric 5?

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Curious which P-Zero model?
Our i4 M50 comes with one of those models ... but Pirelli seems to call about half its models the P-Zero something-or-other.

And was the much-derided Continental model the ProContact RX?

My 2019 VW Arteon came with the similar ProContact TX which struck me as generally innocuous.
Although definitely one of those tire models that are sold as OEM only and also for when you need to replace just one or two tires. Otherwise, nobody would ever buy a set of four of those!

I kept running them since I had a separate setup with the Vredestein Wintrac Pro for my expansively defined winter.
Plus the Arteon came with a full-size spare, so fun to do five-tire rotations to keep even wear on all five.

I was then surprised that spending ~2x for my 2022 Audi A6 Allroad got me exactly the same Continental ProContact TX tires!
But I replaced them before the first winter with the Michelin Cross Climate 2.

I was even more surprised that the Taycan apparently often comes with the Continental ProContact RX.
I suppose the idea is to optimize comfort and rolling resistance even on pricey vehicles?

The other advantage of the CC2 is that it leaves really cool tracks in the dirt, as shown here after skiing last week:
So jealous you have already been skiing! ⛷

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
To my surprise, mine doesn't, but I won't assume that will continue to be the case when renewal time comes, so I'm not considering non-approved alternatives.
Does yours mention winters v summers v all-seasons?
Nope, only two "amendments to the standard policy" (paraphrasing):

At time of any claim:
  1. There must be Porsche marked/approved tyres on the vehicle.
  2. There must be an active subscription for a remote security service.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
So jealous you have already been skiing! ⛷
You make it sound like I had ever stopped skiing recently?
(I'm on consecutive month 25! My Oregon ski mountaineering partner though has been skiing at least at least once a month for almost two decades. Some especially dedicated Turns-All-Year'ers if they need surgery will schedule for the second day of the month, ski the preceding day, then have almost two months to recover in time to preserve the monthly streak!)

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Oh, and shout out for the black magic that is the Pirelli PZero NF0 winter tyres. I can drive 200 km/h+ on the autobahn towards Norway and then drive over the arctic circle – with the tyre gripping into the snow and ice – on the same freaking tyre!

Roll on February for our next winter trip to Lofoten islands with them!
You Will be fine with the Pirelli pZero winter tyres on your trip. I have just completed a trip of about 2700 km from Nice to Stockholm on them. They are great. Did not feel right through Italy and part of Switzerland in 18 - 20 C. But then the temperature dropped to single digits and all felt great. Not seen any snow with them as yet though. Through Germany and the Autobahn the felt comfortable and surprisingly quiet. And on the rough road surface in Sweden they are much quieter then the Good year 21 inch tyres. Drove through a lot of rain and temp around 7 C today and consumption was about 30 kWh/100 km. That is the highest I have ever seen over 500 km’s stretch. And yet the average speed was only about 85 km/h. A lot of water though.

Bring on the snow, that is what is expected on the trip to Norway in December!.

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
You make it sound like I had ever stopped skiing recently?
(I'm on consecutive month 25! My Oregon ski mountaineering partner though has been skiing at least at least once a month for almost two decades. Some especially dedicated Turns-All-Year'ers if they need surgery will schedule for the second day of the month, ski the preceding day, then have almost two months to recover in time to preserve the monthly streak!)
Yes, I had incorrectly assumed you were just getting out for the first of a normal winter ski season. Well done on 25 straight months! The closest I can sort of come to that is skiing in July at A-Basin.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I too have been very happy with the factory fitted Pirelli PZero's on my Taycan. I had gotten unbelievably good wear and performance from the Michelin PS4 NF0 factory tyres on my previous Taycan 4S and was disappointed they were not going to be an option on my current Turbo S.

I was glad to see it came with the Pirelli's but since then the factory Goodyear's have had excellent reviews from @Scandinavian and others in this community.

I'm swapping over to my Pirelli PZero winter wheels today – so will be interesting to see how the wear has been on the summer PZero's. That is always the concern with these tyres: the wear.

My insurance stipulates I have to have approved (i.e. NF0) tyres on my car at the time of any claim – so can't consider PS4S or the likes. I was hoping that Michelin would bring some NF0 tyre to the 21" wheel range – but maybe we've been doing okay with Pirelli's after all.
Yes I have had great wear and long life from my Good Year tyres. To my surprise. I had previous bad experience, many years ago. But they were great and I never regretted getting the same again. The new ones are better than the previous version and quieter.

I needed to change because of 1. A pothole damage on one front and 2. A self tapping screw in one rear tyre. The advice I got was
Pirelli great grip quiet but wearing faster
Good Year good grip and long lasting.

I did a lot of miles on my first set of Good Years and only had to change because of the issue with the damage.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Yes, I had incorrectly assumed you were just getting out for the first of a normal winter ski season. Well done on 25 straight months! The closest I can sort of come to that is skiing in July at A-Basin.
The words "normal" and "ski" should not be combined in my context!

The late-season ski scene at A-Basin though does sound amazing.
I've been out there a few times for the ski mountaineering races held there in December.

Coming from sea level (plus a mere 250'), aerobic competitive endeavors are like trying to track a Taycan that has gone into turtle mode at 1% SoC.
Makes for some nice scenery though (although somewhat hard to appreciate fully with seared lungs):

Porsche Taycan Michelin PS4S - Another take IMG_20211212_080000002

Porsche Taycan Michelin PS4S - Another take IMG_20211212_080000000

diononiz

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cab. 2019 BMW X5 4.0i
Country flag
Thought about Goodyear Asymmetric 5?
I had them on my 992 Carrera S cab and found them to be decent. All the folks on the rennlist forum always complained about them not being as good as PS4s. Do you have them and what do you think?

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
I had them on my 992 Carrera S cab and found them to be decent. All the folks on the rennlist forum always complained about them not being as good as PS4s. Do you have them and what do you think?
I wanted to stay with an NF0 tire. I have Mission Es so PS4S wasn’t an option. No complaints so far. I don’t push my car too often so grip is plenty. Although not as quiet as the Pzeros, the longevity of the Assym 5 is a worthwhile trade off. If I was ok with dropping $2k+ on tires every 8-10k miles, I would stick with the Pzeros. Next best for 21” NF0 is probably the Assym 5s.

Da-man

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
328i and Taycan
Country flag
Did someone try the Hankook ion Evo tyre. It is a non NFO tyre, but has a triple A rating. Seems to be a great tyre.
I just got Hankook Ion EVO on my 2WD and they are awesome. My car came stock with Pirelli which only lasted 12,000 miles.

Discount Tire was awesome and able to special order Hankook Ion EVO and pricing is great too.

Porsche Taycan Michelin PS4S - Another take IMG_8207

Porsche Taycan Michelin PS4S - Another take IMG_8208

Porsche Taycan Michelin PS4S - Another take IMG_8209

Porsche Taycan Michelin PS4S - Another take IMG_8210