Pirelli vs Michelin - New Tyres Dilemma!

Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) vs Michelin Pilot Sport 4/4S

• Total voters
OP
OP
sotiris

sotiris

First Name
Sotiris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo (2020)
Country flag
Thanks everyone for your inputs and shared experiences, I will be buying Pirellis again.
Sponsored

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
For those of you who went with Michelin PS4S, which rear tire did you get? The only 305/30/21 tire on tire rack I see are the MA01 Mercedes spec tire.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I have reached the same conclusion as you. Having used Pilot Super Sport on my Audi R8 in the past, I was not happy. The wear was much faster than on Pirellis + performance was worse too - both for Dry and wet conditions. The only plus I can give to the Michelins - is the comfort, driving was definitely more comfortable.

I guess, I will just buy the OEM tyres which are the Pirellis, which worked splendidly for me. No need to fix a problem, when there isn’t one.

Thanks for your response, it mirrored mine and brought me to the conclusion.
Oh so the guy from Greece is going to favor the response from Archimedes - no bias there!
Just messing with you :)

OP
OP
sotiris

sotiris

First Name
Sotiris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo (2020)
Country flag
Oh so the guy from Greece is going to favor the response from Archimedes - no bias there!
Just messing with you :)
Believe it or not, the moment I saw your answer and then your nicnkame, I had the exact same thought.
No worries and thanks again! 🤝

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Currently have the Michelin's on the Taycan and don't have any complaints with Noise or Wear. I have had many sets of Pirelli's and more Michelin's. Have both of those now on different cars. From my experience, if you want flat out performance and you don't care about the wear, buy the Pirelli's. If you want great performance but a good wet tire and one that will last, get the Michelin's. Just my 2 cents.
Might be cliche / gross generalisation, but I'd agree and further say with their performance oriented rubber, that Pirelli's are softer/sticker and don't wear as well as the Mich's. Mich are also more predictable in the wet

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I investigated the stock tire options, and interestingly found that if you very slightly change the rear tire size to 275/40R20 (instead of rear 285/40R20 per spec), suddenly a whole host of new options become available that aren't offered for the stock 20in sizes

Available for (via TireRack)
Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 ($1169)
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S ($1373) (just for comparison)
Falken Azeris FK510 ($994) (literally would never, just interesting)
Continental ExtremeContact Sport ($1175)

Yokohama ADVAN V601 APEX ($1060 @ Americas Tire)

I probably will install the Yokohamas on my car, because I really enjoyed them on my Audi S4, and got over 25k miles out of a set with over 40 percent life left at the time I sold it when I bought my Taycan. aaaaaand also to trailblaze a little bit, because nobody seems to have tried this. Given my favorable experience with the wear, it would be a nice thing to experiment with. Given the Yokohamas are 106Y vs the NF0 PS4 108Y, the max load difference is 100 lbs per tire. Very minimal so no worry about durability vs stock.

I did some calculations and the difference between 275 and 285 section (a slight stretch) is -4.4 percent sidewall, less than a single percent of diameter, -3.5 percent width, and most importantly a mere 8 revolutions per mile difference vs stock.

Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I investigated the stock tire options, and interestingly found that if you very slightly change the rear tire size to 275/40R20 (instead of rear 285/40R20 per spec), suddenly a whole host of new options become available that aren't offered for the stock 20in sizes
On the 20" wheel, why not go wider like the GTS spec 295/35R20? There are NF0 options shown here: https://www.pcnatirestore.com/tires...arRatio=35&rearDiameter=20&rearSortCode=60157

Re: OP's question, I installed Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and dropped my lap time at Circuit of the Americas by 3 seconds over the OE Pilot Sport 4. I don't expect the P Zero to have better performance unless it's PZC4.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
On the 20" wheel, why not go wider like the GTS spec 295/35R20? There are NF0 options shown here: https://www.pcnatirestore.com/tires...arRatio=35&rearDiameter=20&rearSortCode=60157

Re: OP's question, I installed Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and dropped my lap time at Circuit of the Americas by 3 seconds over the OE Pilot Sport 4. I don't expect the P Zero to have better performance unless it's PZC4.
I certainly could! interesting point, but frankly I'd prefer to stay on thicker sidewalls (even with the 275 stretch it's still the equivalent of a 38 sidewall) considering how heavy the car is and how fucking awful the roads are around here.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
In Formula 1 the engineering knowledge and consistency from Michelin was in a different, much superior, league to Pirelli IME.
Having written that I have used P Zeros on a road car and the only disappointment is life but who would expect good wear from sticky rubber? I get about 4000 miles.

On the racing rubber the Michelin belt technology allowed softer rubber to be run without overheating it or excessive wear.

IMO Michelin and Bridgestone are my favoured makers.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Last edited:

guess2098

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan GTS, 23 EQS580 SUV
Country flag
Currently I have ps4s tesla oe 265/35/21 and NA0 305/30/21. max range is 230 miles with AC on and 240 miles without AC. my original 20 give max 270 miles with AC. just bought a used pzero from another member here. Should be able to test out next week when I receive it.

Dalton07

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ranger
Country flag
Pirelli and Michelin both offer premium quality designs for passenger cars, SUVs, and motorcycle tires. Both brands are dominating performance in the tire industry. Although you may feel a slightly better grip for Pirelli on wet roads. There are not many differences but overall, the Pilot Sport is more consistent when driving on wet and dry surfaces.

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Note that Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) and P Zero Elect NF0 are different tires!
The last one is especially designed for the Taycan and come as factory standard (NF0=Porsche approved, NF is Taycan, 0 is first version).

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Get the Michelin PS4S, you won’t regret it.
Sponsored