Multimedia Box Android Auto Work Around?

FzBerryTaycan

First Name
Shavonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I have a 2021 Porsche Taycan and have a Samsung phone. I am patiently waiting for the 6.0 PCM update to use Android Auto which is only available in selected 2022 models. For a while I was able to run the Android Auto app on my cell phone and Bluetooth it to my car for audio only (I can hear it, but the apps don't show up on the infotainment screen.) Now, the Android Auto app on my cellphone no longer works this way. Now the work around I found is no longer a work around.

I've been reading about how to use a Multimedia Box to watch YouTube and Netflix videos in the Porsche Taycan. I've heard the terms "mmb android box" and "carplay AI box".

Has anyone had experience using this device to access Android Auto? I haven't ordered one yet, however if you can download apps from the Google Play Store like Waze, Google Maps, etc and they can be displayed in the PCM along side YouTube and Netflix, then in essence you have Android Auto.

Any thoughts or experiences?
Sponsored

kanthai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi fellow android user with a 2021 Taycan! I'm in the same boat as you are regarding PCM. I have been using one of the android box for several months now.

I would suggest 2 setups for you. There are pros and cons for each setup.

1. Android auto (AA)
This setup will utilized one of the app on the box to act as an AA receiver for your phone to pair with. I found that this is the best way to use the phone function on the PCM. However, the downside is that it makes the phone very hot and battery drain was huge. It also makes wireless charging unusable due to overheating. Another point is the spotty GPS signal due to my tint and insulated glass in the Taycan blocked GPS signal to my phone. My google maps was jumping around most of the time.

2. Native android
The box itself is essentially an android phone with 2 bluetooth chips. This setup will use apps on the box itself and only connect to your phone for calls only. You can use whatever app on the play store for this, including spotify, waze, netflix, audible etc. I preferred this setup more as my phone will not get hot and I have plenty of battery left. The box will get GPS information from the Taycan antenna bypassing the tint and insulated glass. The downside is that you may need to customize homescreen and UI a little bit to make it more useable during driving.

There are several android box in the market with many of them being an OEM from the same manufacturer. Some of them update their software regulary, some didn't.

Mine is Apple pie mini EVO aka. APM888 and my phone is Galaxy Fold 3.

Last edited:

tortop

First Name
Deniz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am a Samsung Galaxy user based in the USA. I just got my new Porsche Taycan delivered after a 10-month wait. I am super disappointed because there is no Wireless Android Auto, the wired version crashes every few mins, and my phone's GPS signal is really bad (I bought the thicker, quieter glass as an option -- I guess it was a mistake).

The multimedia box sounds like an acceptable workaround. I googled APM888 but couldn't easily find a online store that sells one of these boxes. How did you buy yours? Are they available on Amazon?

Thanks!

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I am a Samsung Galaxy user based in the USA. I just got my new Porsche Taycan delivered after a 10-month wait. I am super disappointed because there is no Wireless Android Auto, the wired version crashes every few mins, and my phone's GPS signal is really bad (I bought the thicker, quieter glass as an option -- I guess it was a mistake).

The multimedia box sounds like an acceptable workaround. I googled APM888 but couldn't easily find a online store that sells one of these boxes. How did you buy yours? Are they available on Amazon?

Thanks!
I am using a MMB box with android 11 from www.carplaymmb.com it does what it should do, but it is too slow at startup . I will replace it with the carlinkit www.carlinkit.store when they release their new box with android 11 and new hardware. I was told by Carlin that the new box would be released at the end of May but I just checked and it is still the Android 9 box.

OP
OP

FzBerryTaycan

First Name
Shavonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

Thanks!

Thanks!
I just ordered the following product as the recommended updated version:

https://exploter.com/products/apple...di-nissan-hyundi-haval?variant=41358309884097

Have not yet installed, but looking forward to providing an update.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag

Thanks!
I have an iPhone so it may be different, but I have the thermal & noise insulated glass and zero issues with GPS signal. I don't use wireless charging (turned off) and plug in my phone and keep it in the center console. The only other difference I can think of is I don't have the Pano roof, I removed it from the premium package.

OP
OP

FzBerryTaycan

First Name
Shavonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Looking forward hearing your verdict on this box!
I'm happy to report, once you receive and activate the sim card from your cell phone provider, it works flawlessly. I am even more happy to have this since Android Auto for phone screens has gone away.

iipabrewer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Enjoying my 21' Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm considering getting a USB box to get wireless android auto from my Samsung phone (as others have mentioned). How are the carlinkit boxes going? Are the phones running hot? Anyone have experience with the 3 boxes currently available from https://www.carlinkit.store/collections
Sponsored