louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I can guarantee you don't need the TIMERS for anything else other than specifying a specific charging time. You might want to do this if the electricity is cheaper at certain times of day, or if your fuses are too taxed at certain times - who knows. But for simply charging to X percent immediately and stopping the charge automatically, the regular profiles are quite sufficient.

In fact I recommend just using the default profile named "general" to do this. Simply set the percentage such as 85% and it'll work like you specified.

Note you'll want to make sure "Direct Charging" is NOT ACTIVATED. This will override the profiles and just charge to 100%. Direct Charging will switch back on every time you use a public DC charger, so you need to keep an eye on this occasionally. Luckily it's extremely easy to check it as the button is right there on the charging status screen and it's a big one.

Another reason you can screw this up is by using the timers in some weird way. So please disable any timers you might have unless you actually want the charging to happen at a specific time.

The only thing I need to touch is the "Direct Charging" button which conveniently allows me to bypass my general profile and charge to 100% when need be. Another fine way to charge to 100% is to have another profile which is set to 100% charge (and to switch to that one when 100% is needed). But personally I think the Direct Charging feature is most convenient for this. And indeed, I have not used timers, as I have no need for timed charging.

Note that some terms Porsche system uses might be misleading. If they talk about minimum charge or target charge or whatever - that may very well mean maximum as well (again unless using Direct Charging which bypasses everything).

Finally I'll have to say that the screenshot in the original post isn't very useful by itself. What I'd like to also see is the charging status screen which shows your charging progress. As on this screen it'll show what profile is actually active and if you have Direct Charging on or not.
[edited]

If the user interface says “Target” it can be interpreted as Maximum. And Targets are only set via Timers. So if you want a maximum (other than 100%) you should use a Timer.

“Direct Charging” switch doesn’t turn on or off when you use a DC Fast charging station. It’s just ignored. DC Fast charging is ALWAYS “Direct Charging” (that is: it begins charging when plugged in, stops charging when full or unplugged)

“Direct Charging” switch ONLY applies to Level 2 charging. (Eg. Your home charger)

Timers are set for when you want the car to FINISH charging to a Target percentage. If it calculates it only needs 3 hours to reach your Target, but you plug in 10 hours before your Timer, it won’t start charging until approximately 7 hours from when you plugged in.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I’m afraid your reply has a few errors and misunderstandings.

If the user interface says “Minimum“, it means Minimum. It never means maximum. Ever.

If the user interface says “Target” it can be interpreted as Maximum. And Targets are only set via Timers. So if you want a maximum (other than 100%) you MUST use a Timer.

“Direct Charging” switch doesn’t turn on or off when you use a DC Fast charging station. It’s just ignored. DC Fast charging is ALWAYS “Direct Charging” (that is: it begins charging when plugged in, stops charging when full or unplugged)

“Direct Charging” switch ONLY applies to Level 2 charging. (Eg. Your home charger)

Timers are set for when you want the car to FINISH charging to a Target percentage. If it calculates it only needs 3 hours to reach your Target, but you plug in 10 hours before your Timer, it won’t start charging until approximately 7 hours from when you plugged in.
Exactly.
Thx.
Like I said before, use just one timer profile on repeat.
That way you can set level and airco.
Simple.

UroDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
812 Superfast; AMG GT 53; Taycan 4S; DB11
Country flag
I’m afraid your reply has a few errors and misunderstandings.

If the user interface says “Minimum“, it means Minimum. It never means maximum. Ever.

If the user interface says “Target” it can be interpreted as Maximum. And Targets are only set via Timers. So if you want a maximum (other than 100%) you MUST use a Timer.

I am confused.
People are saying they can set 'minimum to 85%' and it stops at 85%
But my car does not do that - it goes to 100% unless I set a timer with target to 85%.
What am I missing?

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am confused.
People are saying they can set 'minimum to 85%' and it stops at 85%
But my car does not do that - it goes to 100% unless I set a timer with target to 85%.
What am I missing?
Sorry. Those people are wrong.
You aren’t missing anything.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Sorry. Those people are wrong.
You aren’t missing anything.
We need to get to the bottom of this. From my point of view you're either clueless about this issue, or the software actually works differently with different Taycan's and/or chargers.

The minimum charge setting in the regular profiles is, as far as I have now come to understand, the same thing as a target / maximum. Or that is what I assume since I have never used the timers. The only difference should be that with a timer the charging doesn't necessarily happen immediately.

There have also been others on this forum that have confirmed they charge the same way as I do.

To be more specific the way I have it set up is with the default "general profile", minimum charge 85%, and set for "optimized charging". No timers active. Direct charging is not active obviously, as that would override the profile. The only thing I need to do to charge to 100% is to activate direct charging.

I have been charging like this for a good while now in my garage, and it never goes past 85%. Unless I activate direct charging. That's how it works, period. From my point of view the "you need to use timers" comments are retarded. Unless as I mentioned, things are actually working differently with different cars and/or chargers.

Note that I have now re-read the manual about the profiles, and it fully supports my understanding. I can quote all the relevant parts later if needed but the bottom line is that both regular profiles and timers can be used to charge the car *TO* a specified charge level. My best guess right now is that the difference in wording (minimum/target) is actually irrelevant.

The other issue I mentioned, the Direct Charging feature staying on after using a DC charger, I will verify after I use one of those again. What it does do for certain is it activates Direct Charging (which essentially means profile bypass) when using any DC chargers, and I do remember it just staying on after that - so if I go back home then it will actually bypass my profile and charge to 100%. Unless I remember to disable it. But this I'm not 100% sure about, will verify in the near future.

In any case the Direct Charging setting is key to any profiles working or not working in AC charging.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We need to get to the bottom of this. From my point of view you're either clueless about this issue, or the software actually works differently with different Taycan's and/or chargers.

The minimum charge setting in the regular profiles is, as far as I have now come to understand, the same thing as a target / maximum. Or that is what I assume since I have never used the timers. The only difference should be that with a timer the charging doesn't necessarily happen immediately.

There have also been others on this forum that have confirmed they charge the same way as I do.

To be more specific the way I have it set up is with the default "general profile", minimum charge 85%, and set for "optimized charging". No timers active. Direct charging is not active obviously, as that would override the profile. The only thing I need to do to charge to 100% is to activate direct charging.

I have been charging like this for a good while now in my garage, and it never goes past 85%. Unless I activate direct charging. That's how it works, period. From my point of view the "you need to use timers" comments are retarded. Unless as I mentioned, things are actually working differently with different cars and/or chargers.

Note that I have now re-read the manual about the profiles, and it fully supports my understanding. I can quote all the relevant parts later if needed but the bottom line is that both regular profiles and timers can be used to charge the car *TO* a specified charge level. My best guess right now is that the difference in wording (minimum/target) is actually irrelevant.

The other issue I mentioned, the Direct Charging feature staying on after using a DC charger, I will verify after I use one of those again. What it does do for certain is it activates Direct Charging (which essentially means profile bypass) when using any DC chargers, and I do remember it just staying on after that - so if I go back home then it will actually bypass my profile and charge to 100%. Unless I remember to disable it. But this I'm not 100% sure about, will verify in the near future.

In any case the Direct Charging setting is key to any profiles working or not working in AC charging.
I’m often clueless. That won’t surprise anyone who knows me.

Please educate me with examples from the instruction manual.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Don't you guys say the same thing? From a usability standpoint, it makes sense to reach a min charging level at a certain time, so I can drive the car to where I need to. What time the charging starts for this, is much less relevant to the user experience, isn't it?

As for min/max, I think Porsche thinks in terms of having min energy in the battery to be used for driving, not in terms of max charging level for battery protection. That is why I will always charge to 100%. ;)

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag

I use a timer profile set at 85% with all 7 days checked off in the profile with a target time to be ready at 4:30 am. I have used the EA DC chargers and have never had to manually turn off the DC Charge button on the main screen or Connect app to revert to my timer profile. Georgia Power has a cheaper rate starting at 11pm, so by using the timer profile set to have the car at 85% by 4:30 am, the charger usually starts after 11 pm not immediately when I plug in after I get home.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot

If you use common sense you don't need the manual cuz the words used in the charging options (i-button) make perfectly sense to me.

-Minimum is the least level of charge you want to start with (standard setting is 25%)
When plugging in, it'll start charging to 25% and will stop (also when it's already >25%).
Depending on the target and charge speed it's pauzed until these parameters are met.
-Target is the desired level of charge (standard setting is 85%).
Initial start depends on profile parameters.
-Direct charge overrules all profiles, starts immediately, it's all under the i-button in the app.
-If no profile is active, it'll start charging to 100%.

How hard is that to understand?
I don't know why there is still confusion.

Last edited:

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok. I get it. If you ONLY use Minimum settings in a Profile, then it brings it immediately to that level, then doesn’t continue.

If you use it that way, Minimum setting to 85% and you get 85% immediately.

Then you can’t use Timers. And you can’t use prioritized times (for TOU rates).

I don’t think that’s what Porsche was intending. But if that’s how you want to use it, I guess it’ll work.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Ok. I get it. If you ONLY use Minimum settings in a Profile, then it brings it immediately to that level, then doesn’t continue.

If you use it that way, Minimum setting to 85% and you get 85% immediately.

Then you can’t use Timers. And you can’t use prioritized times (for TOU rates).

I don’t think that’s what Porsche was intending. But if that’s how you want to use it, I guess it’ll work.
I use both profile & timed options, the timed one sets my climate, the profile sets my charge to min 85. works a dream & ensures my car is at 85 e very day all the time.

esortho

First Name
Soren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
That is how I use it - charge to 85% and stop. It makes sense in my condition since my flats parking space has a monthly flat-rate charge fee and the car will sit for days/weeks depending on my schedule. I set a Home profile to end at 85% and that’s it.

To possibly confuse things further it seemed like it could set prioritized load hours in the profile as well to take advantage of cheaper rates but haven’t tried it.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Glad that we're reaching some level of consensus. Bottom line is that there seems to be a couple of different ways to set the car to charge to a certain percentage. As long as it works as intended, I think either approach is fine.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag

Did not know that. The more you learn! Cheers

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
If you use common sense you don't need the manual cuz the words used in the charging options (i-button) make perfectly sense to me.

-Minimum is the least level of charge you want to start with (standard setting is 25%)
When plugging in, it'll start charging to 25% and will stop (also when it's already >25%).
Depending on the target and charge speed it's pauzed until these parameters are met.
-Target is the desired level of charge (standard setting is 85%).
Initial start depends on profile parameters.
-Direct charge overrules all profiles, starts immediately, it's all under the i-button in the app.
-If no profile is active, it'll start charging to 100%.

How hard is that to understand?
I don't know why there is still confusion.
I find it interesting that such basic and important thing like Charge settings for the Taycan, can be so confusing for all. Just look at the number of posts about this! Amazing!

I agree with you and @louv on how Porsche meant this to work. But the instructions are encrypted.

They have made it too complicated in my view and tried to make more of it than needed. If you use the profile charging, see photo, please also note the marked sentence. It will charge to a minimum charge level as set 25% to I think 100%. If you set it to minimum 25% it will charge to that level and stop.
Porsche Taycan My charging not starting at the programmed time 5F59914B-2463-4FC3-AD1B-B8F068BCC7D2

It says it needs to have suitable equipment for optimised charging, which I think is the Porsche Home Energy manager. In the HEM you can programme different costs per day and night time or set limits of what your connection can supply to the house. If you have solar it can also optimise to do charging with solar when sufficient supply is available. But the HEM is an extra equipment.

Now if you do not have this extra equipment installed I do not know what would trigger a charge to start again after the minimum has been reached? Maybe it will just stop there and not charge any more?

so if @Singularity sets it to charge to 85% and there is no extra suitable equipment, it may well stop at 85% and objective achieved. I can not understand what else could trigger a restart.

If on the other hand you have this magical suitable equipment and set it for optimised charging, I can not find to what level it would then be charged? Is optimal 85% as per the Good to Know app? Or will it charge to 100% as some have reported?

Porsche needs to get some experienced EV people employed and make the settings much simpler and clearer. If this all is so important for a long and healthy battery life. Plus document how things should work.
Sponsored