My charging not starting at the programmed time

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Some of the terms there are definitely confusing but here are my thoughts on what some of them actually mean.

Optimized charging

This has caused some confusion but I'm fairly certain that this mode simply means that the car will not interfere with the charging process other than in regards to the set minimum (which actually is also a target).

The "suitable equipment" line there means that the car leaves timers and other fancy stuff to the responsibility of the charger you're using. The charger outside the car controls how and when the charging happens, not the car. That's what in my opinion "optimized charging" means.

Minimum/target terms in the software & manual

Again due to how things actually seem to work, these are in effect the same thing. It will charge to that level and then stop. With timers it will do it in specified timeframes and with just a minimum profile it'll charge immediately and then stop.

Here are a couple of lines from the "good to know" app in regards to this:

General

"Use the Timer or Profile function to programme a maximum high-voltage battery charge of 85 % for daily use of the vehicle. The high-voltage battery is always charged to the minimum charge level programmed in the Profile function, even if a charge timer is active."

Timers

"The Timer function ensures that the high-voltage battery is charged to a specified charge level at a programmed departure time."

Profiles

"The high-voltage battery is charged automatically to the programmed charge level during the specified charging times when the vehicle is charged using alternating current (AC) and provided that no timer or location-dependent charging profile is active."

"The profile function defines the charging process, which then starts automatically. The high-voltage battery will be charged to the specified charge level within the programmed charging time.

The high-voltage battery may not be fully charged depending on the minimum charge level programmed."

So in summary the manual is in every section talking about charging TO a specified charge level, regardless of using the timer target or profile minimum.
Sponsored

UroDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
812 Superfast; AMG GT 53; Taycan 4S; DB11
Country flag
Some of the terms there are definitely confusing but here are my thoughts on what some of them actually mean.
Thank you all for the help with this. What would we do without this forum.
Even my dealer did not know that this was the case!

One other question: every time I plug my charger in, it needs me to input the PIN on the module. Is this the expected behaviour? Is that the main reason for the PIN? I was hoping the PIN was simply to lock the device so no one can make changes to settings but it seems like it is also so that no one can use the charger?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Thank you all for the help with this. What would we do without this forum.
Even my dealer did not know that this was the case!

One other question: every time I plug my charger in, it needs me to input the PIN on the module. Is this the expected behaviour? Is that the main reason for the PIN? I was hoping the PIN was simply to lock the device so no one can make changes to settings but it seems like it is also so that no one can use the charger?
In the settings menu for the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect you can disable the requirement to enter a PIN. If for example the PMCC is located where someone else can access it, a PIN is useful to prevent charging. If the PMCC is inside your garage a PIN is less useful (I don't have a PIN requirement on mine).

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
OK, let me throw in a wrinkle here. I'm thinking I'll set my timer to 7:30AM and my maximum charge profile to 85%. I'll set the temperature to have my car warm/cool to 71 deg so I'll get into a perfectly charged and climate controlled car every morning.

However, if I have a 7:30 AM timer set, and I return home from a trip with say 20% charge at 2pm and plug my car in, will the 'smart charger' say that I don't need to start recharging until later to hit 85% at 7:30? This would be a problem if I want to head out on another trip at 6pm.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
OK, let me throw in a wrinkle here. I'm thinking I'll set my timer to 7:30AM and my maximum charge profile to 85%. I'll set the temperature to have my car warm/cool to 71 deg so I'll get into a perfectly charged and climate controlled car every morning.

However, if I have a 7:30 AM timer set, and I return home from a trip with say 20% charge at 2pm and plug my car in, will the 'smart charger' say that I don't need to start recharging until later to hit 85% at 7:30? This would be a problem if I want to head out on another trip at 6pm.
No matter how "smart" a charger is, you have to tell it what you want.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No matter how "smart" a charger is, you have to tell it what you want.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm just going with 'charge me to 85%' no matter what the time. Then I'll set the timer to have my car ready to go at the right temperature every morning before I drive to work.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My wife's Bolt has a priority charge setting that immediately charges to 40%, and then it'll go back to whatever settings are set. (For her, that means 85% finishing at 5am).

The car asks every time you turn it off also what charge profile to use. So if you want something different, it's simple to change before you get out.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag

In this case you would set the general charging profile to charge to 50%, so you come home, plug in, car charges to 50, then your timer will charge to 85 for 0730

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In this case you would set the general charging profile to charge to 50%, so you come home, plug in, car charges to 50, then your timer will charge to 85 for 0730
I think I'm good with the recent video and will simply keep the 85% minimum with no timer associated with the charging. This keeps things really simple, and I'll always charge to 85% when I plug in AC. The heat/cool timer, I'll use as shown in the video to have my car at the perfect temperature before I go to work.

Second question, is there a second timer like there is a second profile on charging, so you can set the car to warm/cool when you're leaving work?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I think I'm good with the recent video and will simply keep the 85% minimum with no timer associated with the charging. This keeps things really simple, and I'll always charge to 85% when I plug in AC. The heat/cool timer, I'll use as shown in the video to have my car at the perfect temperature before I go to work.

Second question, is there a second timer like there is a second profile on charging, so you can set the car to warm/cool when you're leaving work?
Yes, just set a timed profile with no charging at the specified time you leave work.

lsbusymom

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 2020
Country flag
Ok, back to the original question for me, please. I have checked the profiles and the timers. They are all set to the same settings. The problem I have is that our car cannot tell time. An example. The time is 9:15 pm. I want the car to charge from 12 midnight to 6:45 am. As soon as I plug it in, it starts charging (no blue, only green). It will be charged to whatever percentage I ask but if I plug it in at 4 pm, it starts charging at 4 pm, even if it is not supposed to start until midnight. Any ideas?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Optimized charging

This has caused some confusion but I'm fairly certain that this mode simply means that the car will not interfere with the charging process other than in regards to the set minimum (which actually is also a target).

The "suitable equipment" line there means that the car leaves timers and other fancy stuff to the responsibility of the charger you're using. The charger outside the car controls how and when the charging happens, not the car. That's what in my opinion "optimized charging" means.

Minimum/target terms in the software & manual

Again due to how things actually seem to work, these are in effect the same thing. It will charge to that level and then stop. With timers it will do it in specified timeframes and with just a minimum profile it'll charge immediately and then stop.

Here are a couple of lines from the "good to know" app in regards to this:

General

"Use the Timer or Profile function to programme a maximum high-voltage battery charge of 85 % for daily use of the vehicle. The high-voltage battery is always charged to the minimum charge level programmed in the Profile function, even if a charge timer is active."

Timers

"The Timer function ensures that the high-voltage battery is charged to a specified charge level at a programmed departure time."

Profiles

"The high-voltage battery is charged automatically to the programmed charge level during the specified charging times when the vehicle is charged using alternating current (AC) and provided that no timer or location-dependent charging profile is active."

"The profile function defines the charging process, which then starts automatically. The high-voltage battery will be charged to the specified charge level within the programmed charging time.

The high-voltage battery may not be fully charged depending on the minimum charge level programmed."

So in summary the manual is in every section talking about charging TO a specified charge level, regardless of using the timer target or profile minimum.
Actually, not quite correct - 'Optimised' relates to the addition of a Home Energy Manager (HEM) for combining and optimising both solar and non-solar supply sources.
Sponsored