My Porsche in Apple CarPlay

pedroleumjelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Triumph Trident, 2023 Taycan
Country flag
So it looks like the new Cayenne allows for additional vehicle controls via CarPlay. This seems to be the bigger push between Apple trying to expand CarPlay functionality. What's interesting is currently the Taycan hints at this. When you link MyPorsche with CarPlay, and then tap on the MyPorsche app inside of CarPlay, it states that the vehicle's infotainment does not support that functionality.

I find that a little amusing and frustrating, considering the Taycan is meant to be Porsche's tech-first vehicle in the lineup. I also find it odd that the Cayenne has streaming features for the passenger display but the Taycan does not.

This comes down to whether it's just a software update that will give us this functionality, or if it's legitmately a hardware limitation. But I'd be pretty pissed at Porsche if they didn't include it on the Taycan once the Cayenne has been out for a bit.

Here's what My Porsche in CarPlay looks like: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...-new-features-within-apple-carplay-33034.html

And here's a live demo: https://9to5mac.com/2023/07/28/hands-on-porsche-new-carplay-app/

If you follow the setup and syncing steps in the Taycan, this is what it shows
Porsche Taycan My Porsche in Apple CarPlay IMG_0548

What the 2024 Cayenne shows
Porsche Taycan My Porsche in Apple CarPlay CarPlay-1-celsius-16zu9

Porsche Taycan My Porsche in Apple CarPlay CarPlay-2-celsius-16zu9

Porsche Taycan My Porsche in Apple CarPlay CarPlay-3-celsius-16zu9

Personally, tech is really important in a car, and I find it confusing why Porsche did not enable this for the Taycan. It makes me think they're not serious about committing to it being their tech power house in the lineup.

Last edited:

ChrisJH

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Tourismo 4s
Country flag
So it looks like the new Cayenne allows for additional vehicle controls via CarPlay. This seems to be the bigger push between Apple trying to expand CarPlay functionality. What's interesting is currently the Taycan hints at this. When you link MyPorsche with CarPlay, and then tap on the MyPorsche app inside of CarPlay, it states that the vehicle's infotainment does not support that functionality.

I find that a little amusing and frustrating, considering the Taycan is meant to be Porsche's tech-first vehicle in the lineup. I also find it odd that the Cayenne has streaming features for the passenger display but the Taycan does not.

This comes down to whether it's just a software update that will give us this functionality, or if it's legitmately a hardware limitation. But I'd be pretty pissed at Porsche if they didn't include it on the Taycan once the Cayenne has been out for a bit.

Here's what My Porsche in CarPlay looks like: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...-new-features-within-apple-carplay-33034.html

And here's a live demo: https://9to5mac.com/2023/07/28/hands-on-porsche-new-carplay-app/

If you follow the setup and syncing steps in the Taycan, this is what it shows
IMG_0548.jpeg

What the 2024 Cayenne shows
CarPlay-1-celsius-16zu9.jpeg

CarPlay-2-celsius-16zu9.jpeg

CarPlay-3-celsius-16zu9.jpeg

Personally, tech is really important in a car, and I find it confusing why Porsche did not enable this for the Taycan. I makes me think they're not serious about committing to it being their tech power house in the lineup.

ChrisJH

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Tourismo 4s
Country flag
It does seem to make sense to launch this on a new platform, and they do state in the link you posted that they plan to roll the to other platforms … hopefully the Taycan will be next 🤞🏼

I agree the tech is very important in these cars, especially as EV’s, the additional functions in CarPlay looks good, so again hopefully Porsche will update the Taycan. I also read that multiple screen support is due soon, so CarPlay on the driver display??

OP
OP
pedroleumjelly

pedroleumjelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ooof fingers crossed. It's such a waste having a passenger display that doesn't do anything valuable. I'm a product designer with an eng background, so I'm perplexed Porsche didn't provide more features. It's all software in the end, and running it shouldn't be difficult.

Really hope they introduce these updates.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I know a lot of people in Legal and Risk fields, and I am not at all surprised at the way that the passenger screen was neutered. The way it gets posed is that product executives who are pushing for a feature get to add features that they want, and they will “own the risk” associated with the feature. If the risk materializes, they get fired. So they choose NOT to “own the risk” associated with weird new features on the passenger screen especially.

Even Tesla is this way, which is why Musk ends up being the final say on these, so he “owns the risk,” but he really can’t be fired for it.

OP
OP
pedroleumjelly

pedroleumjelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I got bored and emailed Porsche's head of digital innovation, and someone actually replied.

While they're keeping the door open, I'm personally not optimistic. Which is a bummer for a 120k car where the hardware is there and it's all a software update away :/

As much as I dislike Tesla, nobody comes close to their software prowess and automotive UI/UX.

Porsche Taycan My Porsche in Apple CarPlay Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 2.18.52 PM
Sponsored