DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
CarPlay does sync with ambient lighting at least in matching with album art displayed. There is an option in the ambient light selections that changes color depending on the color of the album art being displayed and it works for CarPlay.
Not for me. 2021 RWD. It only works on built in Apple Music/Podcasts. Not SiriusXM and not Carplay.
Sponsored

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Not for me. 2021 RWD. It only works on built in Apple Music/Podcasts. Not SiriusXM and not Carplay.
I have MY22 but I wouldn't think that would make a difference. It works for me on CarPlay using an iPhone 12 and latest OS. What iPhone do you have?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I have MY22 but I wouldn't think that would make a difference. It works for me on CarPlay using an iPhone 12 and latest OS. What iPhone do you have?
MY22 gets PCM 6.0 so that's almost certainly the difference.

iPhone 13 Pro Max, whatever the best/biggest is currently.

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
My bet is that Apple CarPlay isn’t controlling ambient lighting. CarPlay presents the album art, the PCM then picks a color based on the album art it received.
You might be right but bottom line for me is when the album art changes using CarPlay the ambient lighting also changes.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
You might be right but bottom line for me is when the album art changes using CarPlay the ambient lighting also changes.
I wish it did for me. If so I would just give up on the built-in music apps and run Carplay, which works.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I wish it did for me. If so I would just give up on the built-in music apps and run Carplay, which works.
Same here. I'm not really sure ambient lighting changes color under any conditions. Not that it's so important to me, but I've never noticed it. Maybe I don't drive enough at night!

OP
OP
Oink

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
'21 here. Album-art does show up in the instrument cluster's music circle thingamajig, but the lighting is not dynamic. Definitely '22 only.

Just so we don't fill up this thread with more about this: I just went and verified this. :)

TaycanCanuck

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 AMG GLC43
Country flag
I just don't see this system happening. While I use CarPlay - as a whole it has been very disappointing. I would not want to infringe on the nicely designed Porsche graphics in favour of Apple!
Now perhaps each automaker will have their own graphics? We could hope....

Albion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-22 Taycan 4CT, -84 911 3.2
Country flag
A swedish apple- (and car) blog/site that are at the WWDC event asked apple today how committed the car brands that were shown in the presentation are.
Answer was that the shown brands (Porsche etc) have committed to release models with the “total CarPlay experience”.

obviously doesn’t mean all models will get it, the Swedish site speculated that cars on the new PPE platform will get it (Audi A6 etron and the new Macan) but the current Taycan won’t

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
I was surprised to see Porsche here, but as others have said above in this thread, it seems destined for future models (like the Macan BEV) and model-refreshes:

The use of CarPlay to configure the instrument panel, and to control climate as well as audio, suggests that Apple is moving more toward a full OS here -- perhaps in line with their efforts to produce an Apple "iCar". This video suggests that the forthcoming (end of 2023) CarPlay described here is an entirely different animal from the current CarPlay. Apple surely understands liability issues in controlling the instrument panel, and that is another reason why it's sounding like this will be a direct competitor to Android Automotive OS software.

I see this new (future) CarPlay "OS" to be a potential big improvement on what the Taycan currently has (at least in its center screens) and also automakers like Volvo and Polestar (though Volvo and Polestar are lightyears behind Porsche in 2022 in their infotainment screens and instrument panels, even with Google OS infotainment). But I see Taycan maps as seriously inferior to the maps in my 2018 Panamera and my 2019 Macan.

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
'21 here. Album-art does show up in the instrument cluster's music circle thingamajig, but the lighting is not dynamic. Definitely '22 only.

Just so we don't fill up this thread with more about this: I just went and verified this. :)
Sorry, just had to ask did you select the option for ambient lighting to follow the album art? Or do you have that option?

OP
OP
Oink

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Yes. Even switched to a static color and back to dynamic, then changed songs multiple times after. Verified that the album art for the changed song was also visible in the instrument cluster's music instrument.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
It works for me in my 2020 Taycan only when using Apple Music, just like lyrics.
Sponsored