New Apple CarPlay in iOS 16.

mlambert890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This isn’t a VAG issue, Apple has indicated that current CarPlay implementations will not work with this update. It requires a new implementation on the car side of the equation significant enough that no currently shipping car will work with it. Given it’s not coming until 2023, that means 2024 model year, which to me becomes a 🤷‍♂️

Of course to be fair I don’t actually like CarPlay anyway. The only reason why it’s appealing in the Taycan is because Porsches UI and UX is so dismal. I wouldn’t want CarPlay anywhere near a new Benz EQ, for example.
Sponsored

TESLABOY

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TESLA MODEL 3
Country flag
I don't find anything new in the current implementation. It seems to me that nothing new for carplay is implemented in the current iOS 16.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
This isn’t a VAG issue, Apple has indicated that current CarPlay implementations will not work with this update. It requires a new implementation on the car side of the equation significant enough that no currently shipping car will work with it. Given it’s not coming until 2023, that means 2024 model year, which to me becomes a 🤷‍♂️
My prediction is you're not going to see it on Porsche.

You're going to see it on other car manufacturers as a shortcut to a "screen-as-dash" future without them having to implement it themselves.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Everyone should keep their expectations in check.... Porsche cannot get their PCM to reliably remember radio stations, LTE connection is a "works most of the time" affair. The Calendar app gets confused by timezones all the time, and the calendar app takes about 20 second to launch and load the entries. Plenty of other examples of Porsche being terrible at PCM, and issues not being fixed even 2 years after they were first mentioned.

I think multiscreen CarPlay is a sweat dream we won't be seeing on Taycan, no matter how sweet. We just have to accept that Porsche is many things, but a good software developer this is not.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
I think this is just an update to apples CarPlay software. If the car has the “handshake” with the iPhone any new apple features should work. Meaning I think all of these features will work on the Taycan once apple releases it. Trust me it could be much worse. Apple CarPlay is now a monitory option for Ferrari at $4200. And its not wireless.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I think this is just an update to apples CarPlay software. If the car has the “handshake” with the iPhone any new apple features should work. Meaning I think all of these features will work on the Taycan once apple releases it.
I can guarantee that is not the case.
Carplay gives iOS a screen area to use, and the ability to take over the audio.

For it to have access to car stats such as speed, direction, charge/fuel etc would absolutely require an update from Porsche.

Seeing as we can't even get PCM6 on our "legacy" cars, the chances of them backporting this are extremely unlikely at best.

To put it another way: we're talking about mission-critical speed display systems. Porsche has already put considerable effort into testing these, proving their reliability, etc. What do they gain by tossing this aside to let a third party run it, other than potential lawsuits?

My take on this "new" Carplay stuff is that it's completely separate from the Carplay we know and use. It's an OEM system for car manufacturers to fast-track electronic dashboards.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Yeah I just read more about the new CarPlay And you are right its pretty expansive. I assume some features and new looks WILL work but all this functionality no way. Ive had CarPlay in my cars as long as its been out and after an update in 2020 the look and feel changed in all my cars that had it which was my thought on the first post. But yes you are absolutely correct to allow iOS to control the heat and other car features would require a new system from Porsche or other manufactures. . No way PCNA will retrofit this.

Granted Im still upset the F8 I have ordered I was told I have to pay 4200 for this old carplay that is circa 2019 ie“wired”

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Porsche was explicitly named as committed in the Apple announcement yesterday. It’s conspicuous that BMW weren’t, given that BMW has been such a willing CarPlay proponent.

It’s important to note that this is not an all-or-nothing thing. We will see different degrees of adoption of the new CarPlay experience based on manufacturers’ motivations.

Porsche could choose to add limited support, e.g. to extend CarPlay to the Taycan’s optional passenger screen, stopping short of the instrument cluster. They could choose to partially support the instrument cluster (e.g. navigation maps underlay, or turn-by-turn directions into the third tube) stopping short of providing full telemetry access and ceding full control of the entire instrument cluster.

For those who are technically minded and interested beyond speculation, you can watch the Apple WWDC developer and Q&A sessions on CarPlay being held this week. For example, later today:

Porsche Taycan New Apple CarPlay in iOS 16. 894BE1D1-4149-4541-9336-46797B4BF0C7

Nico_rhns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi
Country flag
Porsche was explicitly named as committed in the Apple announcement yesterday. It’s conspicuous that BMW weren’t, given that BMW has been such a willing CarPlay proponent.

It’s important to note that this is not an all-or-nothing thing. We will see different degrees of adoption of the new CarPlay experience based on manufacturers’ motivations.

Porsche could choose to add limited support, e.g. to extend CarPlay to the Taycan’s optional passenger screen, stopping short of the instrument cluster. They could choose to partially support the instrument cluster (e.g. navigation maps underlay, or turn-by-turn directions into the third tube) stopping short of providing full telemetry access and ceding full control of the entire instrument cluster.

For those who are technically minded and interested beyond speculation, you can watch the Apple WWDC developer and Q&A sessions on CarPlay being held this week. For example, later today:

Porsche was in fact one (of many) manufacturers "mentioned" in the keynote.
Check:

Porsche Taycan New Apple CarPlay in iOS 16. Screenshot 2022-06-07 at 15.29.49

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
.....The dashboard software is reliable and solid for me.
I wish I could say the same. Recently the map in the center of the cockpit screen blanked out. Yesterday, the entire cockpit screen went black for a minute while driving. I suspect these incidents are a harbinger of a more catastrophic failure.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
CarPlay does sync with ambient lighting at least in matching with album art displayed. There is an option in the ambient light selections that changes color depending on the color of the album art being displayed and it works for CarPlay.
My bet is that Apple CarPlay isn’t controlling ambient lighting. CarPlay presents the album art, the PCM then picks a color based on the album art it received.