New (Sept 2023) global stop sale on all Taycans? Recall APB2 updated Sept 11, 2023

OP
OP
DougFrisk

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
I've been following this thread with interest. I've got a 2024 GTS, produced June 22nd, that finally arrived at the dealer here in Western Australia on 9th October (it takes a very long time for a ship travelling 18 knots to go from Germany to Australia!!).

Even thought the car seems to be outside the manufacturing period (post May 23) and not in VIN range, I was informed by the dealer on 20th September that the vehicle still needed to go through the battery pressure check. This has me under the impression that all new vehicles were now subject to this test prior to handover (or at least for some time).

Could that be right?

If so it's gonna be yet another handbrake on new vehicle deliveries.
I'm inferring that Porsche has an upgraded battery vent and that's part of the APB2 recall along with the pressure test. That's the part that had to be ordered for our car. It's possible they hadn't integrated the new part into initial assembly when yours was built and are replacing it before delivery.
Sponsored

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
@whitex my appointment with P of Bellevue was cancelled because they don’t have the part. Apparently they have to file for an allocation per VIN to even receive the testing kit. I’m curious how they managed to test your car - have you taken it in for anything else during a previous appointment?

The Service Advisor said they’re trying to talk Porsche into a better plan. The website says clearly “parts are now available”, when in reality they aren’t.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@whitex my appointment with P of Bellevue was cancelled because they don’t have the part. Apparently they have to file for an allocation per VIN to even receive the testing kit. I’m curious how they managed to test your car - have you taken it in for anything else during a previous appointment?

The Service Advisor said they’re trying to talk Porsche into a better plan. The website says clearly “parts are now available”, when in reality they aren’t.
Perhaps "parts are now available" = "parts have been produced but not in sufficient quantities to distribute proactively in advance to dealers so will only be shipped individually for each affected vehicle once dealer first requests the parts for that particular VIN."

"Parts are now available" prevents customers, NHTSA, and other worldwide regulators from being unnecessarily disturbed by delays in mitigating a recall for a potential battery fire risk.
;)

Last edited:

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I've been following this thread with interest. I've got a 2024 GTS, produced June 22nd, that finally arrived at the dealer here in Western Australia on 9th October (it takes a very long time for a ship travelling 18 knots to go from Germany to Australia!!).

Even thought the car seems to be outside the manufacturing period (post May 23) and not in VIN range, I was informed by the dealer on 20th September that the vehicle still needed to go through the battery pressure check. This has me under the impression that all new vehicles were now subject to this test prior to handover (or at least for some time).

Could that be right?

If so it's gonna be yet another handbrake on new vehicle deliveries.
I picked up my MY24 GTS last Saturday. Not subject to any tests or stop sells. Was manufactured 1st September.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
It wasn't Bellevue. I go to Porsche Seattle North - they have 3 gold level, HV certified techs to work on Taycans. When I made the appointment, they told me they need the car in before they can determine next steps. That was just a few days before Porsche officially included my car in the campaign. Their location is more convenient for me too. By the time the appointment came, my car was officially included in the campaign. Worth noting that I also asked them to look at the door handles since the auto unlock just started happening to me when the temps dropped (they luckily managed to reproduce it too - replacement handles ordered). When I was dropping it off, I did ask whether they have the right parts to do the battery leak recall, and they said they won't know until they get the car in the shop. I think I was their first Taycan for this recall, so maybe they didn't go through the recall process in detail until my car was there. Given that the car was coming in for the door handles anyways (even though I was intending it the other way - fix door handles while doing the recall), perhaps they figured it's a good time to check out the recall process while the car is already there?
It seems Porsche does not seem that great with communications, or OTA updates (I still have not received the OTA they informed me weeks ago was coming). Porsche service told me the parts needed for my car for the recall are probably months away. Why communicate to customers a recall is available or OTA is available, when in fact it's not for months? The only thing I can think of is lack of coordination at the corporate level between engineering, supply chain logistics, marketing, public relations/communications, etc.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Perhaps "parts are now available" = "parts have been produced but not in sufficient quantities to distribute proactively in advance to dealers so will only be shipped individually for each affected vehicle once dealer first requests the parts for that particular VIN."

"Parts are now available" prevents customers, NHTSA, and other worldwide regulators from being unnecessarily disturbed by delays in mitigating a recall for a potential battery fire risk.
;)
Perhaps they are learning from Tesla to be very literal. "Parts are now available" simply means at the time of writing there were at least 2 parts available somewhere in the world. One second after publishing the parts may no longer be available, but it was true when written, so the statement was not a lie. Having been a Tesla customer for a decade, I learned to interpret all manufacturer statements at their very minimalistic level. I only got fooled the first time, then I learned.

SunnyTaycan

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85, Landrover Defender
Country flag
I picked up my MY24 GTS last Saturday. Not subject to any tests or stop sells. Was manufactured 1st September.
Congrats! That's awesome, would love to see your spec, got any pics yet? Just heard from my dealer today and they've now said my car didn't need to be tested (go figure?) and I can pick up next Wednesday...I'm kinda confused and excited all at the same time.

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag

laua

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, V60, CT4S incoming
Country flag
I just took mine into Englewood and was basically turned away. Apparently they won’t put me in the queue without taking my car and the current queue is 2+ weeks. Further - if a problem with the sealant is detected they won’t release the vehicle and will have to wait for a new battery for which they have no ETA. Basically it is a minimum two week wait that could possibly stretch into months. What a major pain in the ass. I really need to find a better local dealer.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I'm inferring that Porsche has an upgraded battery vent and that's part of the APB2 recall along with the pressure test. That's the part that had to be ordered for our car. It's possible they hadn't integrated the new part into initial assembly when yours was built and are replacing it before delivery.
Got my letter today - March'23 GTS ST.

Might just get them to reprogram my door handles as they're playing up too.

Kinda wished that my 2nd Taycan in 3 years would be trouble free.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
April 2023 build. Passed ABP2 and completed WPN9. 2k miles, zero issues.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Got my letter today - March'23 GTS ST.

Might just get them to reprogram my door handles as they're playing up too.

Kinda wished that my 2nd Taycan in 3 years would be trouble free.
If your doorhandle problem is the same as mine you need four new doorhandles. Reprogramming didn’t solve it for me.
Sponsored