New software upgrade

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Well @TT459S, I'm joining you in the queue in Langley for a new PCM to come from Germany. 7-10 days to arrive, 1 day to install. My car's been in since Monday, and was informed today that the PCM was dead. Oh well, just have to wait it out. If you want to trade your Cayenne hybrid for my Macan S loaner, let me know!
Sponsored

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Well @TT459S, I'm joining you in the queue in Langley for a new PCM to come from Germany. 7-10 days to arrive, 1 day to install. My car's been in since Monday, and was informed today that the PCM was dead. Oh well, just have to wait it out. If you want to trade your Cayenne hybrid for my Macan S loaner, let me know!
Unfortunate that Porsche does not keep an adequate supply warehoused in North America of often-replaced components such as OTA modules and PCMs.

TT459S

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Targa 4, 2023 Macan S
Country flag
Update 4/27: Apparently the PCM is dead. New one on rush order. Expecting another 10 day delay...
Update 5/7: PCM has not arrived yet from Germany. Maybe next week...
Dealer/Service Manager mentioned 2 things:
1. They will not take in more cars for upgrade (guess they are running out of space and out of PCMs) until there is clarity from Porsche.
2. They now have 3 cars waiting for a new PCM - all have a Passenger Display (only commonality he could see).....

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1. They will not take in more cars for upgrade (guess they are running out of space and out of PCMs) until there is clarity from Porsche.
2. They now have 3 cars waiting for a new PCM - all have a Passenger Display (only commonality he could see).....
For what it is worth: my Taycan does not have a Passenger Display and its PCM indeed survived the WMA5 update. However, my OTA module got fried in the process and a new one had to be sent from Germany. Took about two weeks but I could still drive the car meanwhile. The dealer has been quite helpful throughout.

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Mine is car #3 in that lineup. But I do NOT have a passenger display. And yes, I heard the same that Porsche has temporarily stopped the software upgrades at this time.

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
No issues with the upgrade. It took 1.5 days to complete.
I brought my car in on Tuesday and they said I might have it back on Saturday! They’ve had software download errors on the radio update (there are many software update modules to do) and it has screwed up the complete update. Dealer had to call Porsche several times for help. It’s really disappointing.

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
My car is going back to service after my update... the auto recuperation keeps turning off by itself and there is a weird ticking sound after shut down in the rear driver side passenger wheel well area...

drjhyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2020 4S, Cayenne 2020
Country flag
My update took over a week. They had to replace the "control module". Also an antenna that was broken after a deer strike. Apple carplay now working wirelessly. Seems to have saved all my setting but have to delete and reenter my porsche ID to see my car in Connect app.
My only complaint is that Homelink takes forever (maybe a min) to be able to open or close my garage. It senses when I drive up to the home location but still have to wait for the radial sign to become active before the garage opens.

Have not had any other problems heard on this forum.

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
As suspected, my (not so good) dealer called today to let me know they have suspended all Taycan software updates. “We are having some issues with the product updating.” I had moved it out to end of May given the forum discussions, but now scheduled for the end of June.

Fingers crossed - as it has been essentially flawless in 11,000 miles.

TT459S

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Targa 4, 2023 Macan S
Country flag
Update 5/14: After a message earlier this week that it would take until next week, this morning I was informed the PCM had arrived and I just picked up the car.
Some interesting differences that I didnt read about yet in the forum.
  • All my data was still there, apart from some settings, like radio favorites.
  • The MyPorsche app didnt work and said I had to delete my account in the car and add it back. That worked - but it all takes time (and had to add my radio stations again).
  • Today was the first time my app actually connected with the PCM via the car's Wifi.
  • I discovered that Rogers was configured as the wireless provider for data, but to use it requires a subscription to the Porsche Data Service (?), which I haven't discovered yet.
  • The device list looks different. Not seeing all the options.
  • Haven't gotten the wireless Carplay to work yet. (Update- once you've used it via USB before it does)
  • New PCM meant that SiriusXM subscription was gone (new radio id) (will the dealer give me another 3 month free trial?)
  • Passenger display can be used without a passenger and weirdly it went blank when I switched to RANGE drivemode (Update: passenger display stand-by Off setting isn't saved)
  • RANGE Drivemode max speed was set to 100, but is configurable somewhere (I forgot where)
  • News, Weather, Calendar all working now
  • Last radio settings not saved when starting car again.
  • Some erratic behavior of software still - like already had one spontaneous reboot.
In general, poor job on user instructions (like, there are none). Worth the 4-weeks wait? Yes.

Last edited:

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Update 5/14: After a message earlier this week that it would take until next week, this morning I was informed the PCM had arrived and I just picked up the car.
Thanks for the update! My replacement PCM is scheduled to arrive on 5/20, so I will expect a similar set of "new things" as yours. Enjoy the new stuff!

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
  • All my data was still there, apart from some settings, like radio favorites.
  • The MyPorsche app didnt work and said I had to delete my account in the car and add it back. That worked - but it all takes time (and had to add my radio stations again).
  • Today was the first time my app actually connected with the PCM via the car's Wifi.
  • I discovered that Rogers was configured as the wireless provider for data, but to use it requires a subscription to the Porsche Data Service (?), which I haven't discovered yet.
  • The device list looks different. Not seeing all the options.
  • Haven't gotten the wireless Carplay to work yet. (Update- once you've used it via USB before it does)
  • New PCM meant that SiriusXM subscription was gone (new radio id) (will the dealer give me another 3 month free trial?)
  • Passenger display can be used without a passenger and weirdly it went blank when I switched to RANGE drivemode (Update: passenger display stand-by Off setting isn't saved)
  • RANGE Drivemode max speed was set to 100, but is configurable somewhere (I forgot where)
  • News, Weather, Calendar all working now
  • Last radio settings not saved when starting car again.
  • Some erratic behavior of software still - like already had one spontaneous reboot.
In general, poor job on user instructions (like, there are none). Worth the 4-weeks wait? Yes.
My news still doesn't work... Didn't bother with the calendar yet... weather has always worked...

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
So it is downloaded each time from Germany to a specific car with a specific VIN. Sometimes it doesn’t complete the download and they have to start all over again, and it takes hours. Very archaic methodology.
That is what I was told, but they had no problems so far, other then internet connection problems.

Mine went in Wed afternoon. Today, Friday, I got the message that the PMCC is updated, but the car could not be updated on the forth step, I guess it is this one:

Porsche Taycan New software upgrade 1621587433196

They waiting for Porsche Germany to reply. Anyone with same problem, what was the outcome? Waiting for new PCM from Germany?

Do I have to mentally prepare myself to drive shitty MS90D for a couple of weeks?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I just picked up my Taycan after 2 days in the shop. Everything is working as far as I can see, but they told me, that the navigation software cannot load. Minor detail for me, as I never use it anyway...

I right away noticed that the breaking works better, its like the regen comes on a bit faster and stronger, and matches better with the accelerator. Am I dreaming here?

Anyway, service of the PC is impeccable!

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just picked up my Taycan after 2 days in the shop. Everything is working as far as I can see, but they told me, that the navigation software cannot load. Minor detail for me, as I never use it anyway...

I right away noticed that the breaking works better, its like the regen comes on a bit faster and stronger, and matches better with the accelerator. Am I dreaming here?

Anyway, service of the PC is impeccable!
The difference in how the brakes feel is indeed the biggest change one notices in daily driving post-upgrade. In my case, it feels as if the brakes get applied more gradually but no less forcefully.
Sponsored