New tires at 4657 miles?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have my car set in lowered mode (second from lowest) full time and have zero wear issues. No need to ever drive in normal ride height.
Sponsored

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
It is amazing how quickly these tires wear out. Yes the car is heavier but total tire area that is subject to wear is also massive in these cars (especially the 21s) compared to older cars given how much the tires grew. Did not do the exact math but estimate the '"total rubber" bearing with the weight on a 21 RWD is disproportionately large compared to say a 20 inch cayenne wheel from the previous gen. I noticed this when I saw my RWD tire next to an old gen BMW 3 series tire. Think about it, as the wheel diameters grew larger and larger, you simply need less revolutions to travel the same distance. So a Taycan tire at 5K miles is actually the equivalent of A 2015 3 series tire at 3K miles!. On top of that we are talking about 305mms in width! which means the weight is being distributed over a much wider rubber. I have a feeling we are being ripped off with the longevity of these new tires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diegomedinaf

diegomedinaf

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Does this look like a tire that needs replacement?

Service departments are crazy lately.

Both tires repaired and zero issues.

Porsche Taycan New tires at 4657 miles? IMG_6965

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is amazing how quickly these tires wear out. Yes the car is heavier but total tire area that is subject to wear is also massive in these cars (especially the 21s) compared to older cars given how much the tires grew. Did not do the exact math but estimate the '"total rubber" bearing with the weight on a 21 RWD is disproportionately large compared to say a 20 inch cayenne wheel from the previous gen. I noticed this when I saw my RWD tire next to an old gen BMW 3 series tire. Think about it, as the wheel diameters grew larger and larger, you simply need less revolutions to travel the same distance. So a Taycan tire at 5K miles is actually the equivalent of A 2015 3 series tire at 3K miles!. On top of that we are talking about 305mms in width! which means the weight is being distributed over a much wider rubber. I have a feeling we are being ripped off with the longevity of these new tires.
The PZeros on my Taycan are on pace to have the same life as they did on my 911S ten years ago. There’s nothing new about the tires or unique to the Taycan.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Think about it, as the wheel diameters grew larger and larger, you simply need less revolutions to travel the same distance. So a Taycan tire at 5K miles is actually the equivalent of A 2015 3 series tire at 3K miles!. On top of that we are talking about 305mms in width! which means the weight is being distributed over a much wider rubber.
Um, what? 5k traveled is 5k, number of revolutions has nothing to do with it.
The contact patch is calculated from the traction force exerted at the wheel and the vehicle mass. The wear is simply an expression of driver’s enthusiasm.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag

IMG_6965.jpeg
Yeah, it’s screwed. (Sorry, had to.)

Honestly that tire does look to me to be nearly done. You have a bit of tread left to the wear bars, but the siping is worn out. (Might have been overinflated, as the wear seems to be accentuated in the center section.)

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Um, what? 5k traveled is 5k, number of revolutions has nothing to do with it.
The contact patch is calculated from the traction force exerted at the wheel and the vehicle mass. The wear is simply an expression of driver’s enthusiasm.
You’re missing his point, which is that the wear on each part of the tire is less on a larger circumference tire, because it contacts the ground less than a smaller tire over the same number of miles.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yeah, it’s screwed. (Sorry, had to.)

Honestly that tire does look to me to be nearly done. You have a bit of tread left to the wear bars, but the siping is worn out. (Might have been overinflated, as the wear seems to be accentuated in the center section.)
A bit of tread left to the wear bars? Have you looked at these tires brand new? They don’t have much more tread depth than that picture. And the siping that really matters on a sport tire is along the outer edge, which looks fine. Those tires are wearing very evenly and have plenty of life left.

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The PZeros on my Taycan are on pace to have the same life as they did on my 911S ten years ago. There’s nothing new about the tires or unique to the Taycan.
There you go … which makes sense. Bottom line it is fake news when you hear the argument “ohh this is a heavy EV so you need to change your tires at 7K miles”

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
You’re missing his point, which is that the wear on each part of the tire is less on a larger circumference tire, because it contacts the ground less than a smaller tire over the same number of miles.
again, um what? The shape of the contact patch is a function of the width and diameter of the wheel, but that has nothing to do with the friction force exerted on the tire itself - at each point, for a given vehicle and if inflated correctly (so weight is distributed evenly across). It doesn’t matter how many “friction events” occurred between a point on the tire and the ground - if it was calculated to last 10k -for this vehicle- it’s pointless to compare with the number of revolutions of a different wheel size in a different application.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
There you go … which makes sense. Bottom line it is fake news when you hear the argument “ohh this is a heavy EV so you need to change your tires at 7K miles”
Lol ok.

Fwiw I did not argue premature wear is somehow built in or must be accepted - I simply rejected your comparison with a completely different situation. I’m at 10k miles on my original tires, and showing minimal wear. My 911 would eat its rears in less than 10k, it’s much lighter and on 17” wheels.

It’s all about being within spec (for alignment and air pressure), and driving style.

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
again, um what? The shape of the contact patch is a function of the width and diameter of the wheel, but that has nothing to do with the friction force exerted on the tire itself - at each point, for a given vehicle and if inflated correctly (so weight is distributed evenly across). It doesn’t matter how many “friction events” occurred between a point on the tire and the ground - if it was calculated to last 10k -for this vehicle- it’s pointless to compare with the number of revolutions of a different wheel size in a different application.
You are overthinking. But if you really want to go there, a larger diameter tire will have a proportionately larger contact surface with the road. So friction force exerted on a given cm2 of the tire won't be materially different. But in a larger wheel you will simply have "more rubber" that would eventually share the total friction you are facing. This is a very simple argument, if you put 2X larger diameter tires on the same car with the exact same car you will have 2x more rubber in total dealing with the same amount of friction you deal with to travel 10K miles.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
You are overthinking. But if you really want to go there, a larger diameter tire will have a proportionately larger contact surface with the road. So friction force exerted on a given cm2 of the tire won't be materially different. But in a larger wheel you will simply have "more rubber" that would eventually share the total friction you are facing. This is a very simple argument, if you put 2X larger diameter tires on the same car with the exact same car you will have 2x more rubber in total dealing with the same amount of friction you deal with to travel 10K miles.
Ok, so we both understand simple physics. 🙂 The only point I was trying to make is that the compound engineered for 10k of wear on a 2015 3 series on smaller diameter wheels is not the same as that put to work under a Taycan on 20”. Tires, as I’m sure you know, are rated for wear, traction and temperature as a unit and not per sq cm of contact patch. I bristled at the revolutions argument as that is already reflected into a given tire’s rating.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Have to agree with you, there is plenty of life left in that tyre! There is a fair bit of rubber left to the wear bars.

As someone pointed out perhaps a bit overinflated, but I am no expert. The issue for the service department was that they do not recommend any repair when there is a puncture like that. If a reliable tyre shop are fine to do a proper repair than fine.
Sponsored