First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
Lol ok.

Fwiw I did not argue premature wear is somehow built in or must be accepted - I simply rejected your comparison with a completely different situation. I’m at 10k miles on my original tires, and showing minimal wear. My 911 would eat its rears in less than 10k, it’s much lighter and on 17” wheels.

It’s all about being within spec (for alignment and air pressure), and driving style.
I know every car is specced differently driving style, rubber composition all of these have different impacts on tire wear. All i was trying to debunk was the general misconception that "oh EVs are heavy so you should expect more tire wear". My point was "everything else being equal" a heavier car will wear tires faster. BUT at the same time "all
Ok, so we both understand simple physics. 🙂 The only point I was trying to make is that the compound engineered for 10k of wear on a 2015 3 series on smaller diameter wheels is not the same as that put to work under a Taycan on 20”. Tires, as I’m sure you know, are rated for wear, traction and temperature as a unit and not per sq cm of contact patch. I bristled at the revolutions argument as that is already reflected into a given tire’s rating.
Agree every car tire is specced differently, rubber composition driving style all of these have different impacts on tire wear. All i was trying to de-bunk was the common argument that "oh EVs are heavy so you should expect more tire wear, don't get surprised" - and I hear dealer advisors use this to justify pre-mature tire changes. My point was "everything else being equal" yes a heavier car will wear its tires faster. BUT at the same time tire diameters got significantly larger over years (particularly so for Porsche) and you are buying significantly more rubber everytime you change your tire compared to 10 years ago, which should more than negate the weight impact-again everything else being equal.
Sponsored

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I'm at 14K miles and it looks like my tires have at least another 3-5K miles left on them (Michelin Pilot Sport 245/45 R 20). I got lucky!

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
again, um what? The shape of the contact patch is a function of the width and diameter of the wheel, but that has nothing to do with the friction force exerted on the tire itself - at each point, for a given vehicle and if inflated correctly (so weight is distributed evenly across). It doesn’t matter how many “friction events” occurred between a point on the tire and the ground - if it was calculated to last 10k -for this vehicle- it’s pointless to compare with the number of revolutions of a different wheel size in a different application.
Again, I think you’re totally missing the point. If there are two identical compound tires of materially different circumferences traveling the same mileage, all other things equal, the larger tire will wear less than the smaller one. Might be a small difference but it will wear less.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Again, I think you’re totally missing the point. If there are two identical compound tires of materially different circumferences traveling the same mileage, all other things equal, the larger tire will wear less than the smaller one. Might be a small difference but it will wear less.
I don’t think I’m missing a point so basic that it’s being taught in elementary school. I did dismiss it as irrelevant, and perhaps I did so in a disrespectful manner - so I’ll try one more time, hopefully more thoughtfully.

Wheel dimensions/specifications are one of the first elements to be locked in the specs of a car. The manufacturer would then submit a request for tires for this specific application: vehicle mass, expected traction characteristics for acceleration, braking and cornering, desired lifetime expectancy for specific climates and locales.

This results in compounds engineered for those requirements, which the car manufacturer then tests extensively.

So while the point stands that a smaller wheel would need more revolutions to cover the same distance, the tire is not going to be made from the same compound for such different applications as in the example quoted before. And it’s a bit nonsensical to go for the “what if they were the same compound” approach, because at 50% weight differential between a 3er and a Taycan means neither would work with the other’s tire.

OP
OP
diegomedinaf

diegomedinaf

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thanks for that reply professor! Most of us understood it from The first reply but this one was respectfully a lot better