Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Ah, ok - didn't realise PMCC is standard for France!

Is the on-board AC charger the basic 11kW or is it also 22kW?

If so then this is a no brainer assuming 3 phase is installed!
It would look like there is a difference in standard spec between UK and France. And here in France it also seems they have included the onboard 150 kW , 400 volt charger as standard, which makes a lot of sense since Tesla opened some chargers.

But the 22 kW charger is not standard? A bit surprising since there are so many 22 kW charge points due to the Renault Zoe.
Porsche Taycan Newbie question on home chargers B5D350D5-84BC-4B2F-A6D0-E7DAEA8111DE
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It would look like there is a difference in standard spec between UK and France. And here in France it also seems they have included the onboard 150 kW , 400 volt charger as standard, which makes a lot of sense since Tesla opened some chargers.

But the 22 kW charger is not standard? A bit surprising since there are so many 22 kW charge points due to the Renault Zoe.
B5D350D5-84BC-4B2F-A6D0-E7DAEA8111DE.png
Yeah I noticed that too. In respect of 22kW AC on-board I thought the same but perhaps its price sensitive at a certain point?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks like they thought this through properly in France!
The french government has introduced a lot of interesting initiatives to support the transformation to EV’s. Pretty decent grants when buying a new EV (within price restrictions), starting to limit use of polluting older cars in certain cities by the CritAir stickers.

And also plans to support leasing of Renault Zoe EV for 100 Euro per month!

And then they have matched this by limiting next years price increase for electricity to about 15%! And the price is quite low compared to pther countries now.

So what is not to like about France
  • Nice weather
  • Good food
  • Great wines
on top of all?:cool:

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
This is fantastic advice and info guys.

One more question. What is the difference in the PMCC and PMC+. I think you are saying I get the PMCC in France for free.

I think I would have the 22KW onboard upgrade. This solution avoids a wall charger anyway which I had budgeted for. Just hope the Enedis cost to upgrade to 3 phase is not rediculous. I have no other option but to use them as they own the infrastructure here in France.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

One more question. What is the difference in the PMCC and PMC+. I think you are saying I get the PMCC in France for free.

I think I would have the 22KW onboard upgrade. This solution avoids a wall charger anyway which I had budgeted for. Just hope the Enedis cost to upgrade to 3 phase is not rediculous. I have no other option but to use them as they own the infrastructure here in France.
My advice for you would be to look around where you live and perhaps where you intend to drive, short and long trips, before ordering the 22 kW charger. It is an expensive option and if you have your home charging sorted out plus checked where you have any of the fast DC chargers like Ionity, the role of the 22 kW onboard charger might be limited. There are other options in the Taycan that can give more enjoyment! Two yers ago when I got my Taycan the 22 kW charger would have been a great addition, but now there are so many DC chargers around!

And as far as I can see on the french configurator, Yes you do get the PMCC as standard.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just hope the Enedis cost to upgrade to 3 phase is not rediculous. I have no other option but to use them as they own the infrastructure here in France.
My neighbour just had his house upgraded to now having two supplies to his house with 36 kVA on both circuits! And I think it was quite costly since they had to reinforce the overall supply down line.

Guess it also depends on how far away their station and substations are?

Good luck!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
starting to limit use of polluting older cars in certain cities by the CritAir stickers.
Even my Irish Taycan has a CritAir sticker (for Paris). Getting the equivalent from Germany was a bureaucratic nightmare. But getting it from the French government was fast, easy and cheap! I was surprised!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The french government has introduced a lot of interesting initiatives to support the transformation to EV’s. Pretty decent grants when buying a new EV (within price restrictions), starting to limit use of polluting older cars in certain cities by the CritAir stickers.

And also plans to support leasing of Renault Zoe EV for 100 Euro per month!

And then they have matched this by limiting next years price increase for electricity to about 15%! And the price is quite low compared to pther countries now.

So what is not to like about France
  • Nice weather
  • Good food
  • Great wines
on top of all?:cool:
I am so jealous!

Meanwhile Britain goes down the Swanee!

Bonne chance mon ami!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

The Porsche France configurator clearly lists the PMCC as the standard EVSE supplied with any Taycan (marvellous!) at no extra charge.

Forget the PMC+ exists in other countries as this is not relevant to you now and will only confuse.

If money is no object then the 22kW AC on-board charger upgrade would be worth it (and arguably worth it for use in France in general) but not essential.

If you go ahead with your 3 phase install then you will get 11kW for maxing out your Taycan's charging capability (11kW AC on-board charger is standard equipment).

If you end up with single phase (sounds unlikely) then no issue either. Your PMCC will be quite happy with this and will provide 7.4kW AC for charging your Taycan (more than enough for charging from say 20% to 85% battery overnight at home within 7 hours).

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Brilliant info guys.
Presumably the French law about installing EV points does not apply if I'm only having a 3 phase socket on the wall installed and using the PMCC. Is the PMCC programable so I can choose the charge times, KW being drawn, how much to charge the battery as I heard it is best to only charge to 80% if you don't need the full charge. My concern is if I have the 22kw onboard charger and I upgrade the house to 24kw which EDF said was the max I could trip the circuit breaker with my electric heaters in the house. So in winter I could set the charger to 11kw say and 22kw in the summer.

So can the PMCC be used on single phase and 3 phase? How long is the lead to the car? This is important for me to think about where the 3 phase plug will be in the garage. Does the Taycan have a AC charge point one side and DC on the other. I've had mixed views on this from the dealers.

I think I would spec the 22kw onboard charger. I travel to the UK regularly so will never know what I will find on the journey in France but probablt worse in the UK.

I understand here in France most of the tesla chargers are open for me to use. Do I need an adaptor to use them? Great that the 150kw onboard charger is included as I was going to spec this. Mind you the car is more expensive in France than the UK.

Thanks

Daniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Brilliant info guys.
Presumably the French law about installing EV points does not apply if I'm only having a 3 phase socket on the wall installed and using the PMCC. Is the PMCC programable so I can choose the charge times, KW being drawn, how much to charge the battery as I heard it is best to only charge to 80% if you don't need the full charge. My concern is if I have the 22kw onboard charger and I upgrade the house to 24kw which EDF said was the max I could trip the circuit breaker with my electric heaters in the house. So in winter I could set the charger to 11kw say and 22kw in the summer.

So can the PMCC be used on single phase and 3 phase? How long is the lead to the car? This is important for me to think about where the 3 phase plug will be in the garage. Does the Taycan have a AC charge point one side and DC on the other. I've had mixed views on this from the dealers.

I think I would spec the 22kw onboard charger. I travel to the UK regularly so will never know what I will find on the journey in France but probablt worse in the UK.

I understand here in France most of the tesla chargers are open for me to use. Do I need an adaptor to use them? Great that the 150kw onboard charger is included as I was going to spec this. Mind you the car is more expensive in France than the UK.

Thanks
No need any adapter for Tesla supercharger , i 've just send you a personnal message

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Brilliant info guys.

Thanks
I don't know anything about the French legal aspects (@Scandinavian no doubt will).

The PMCC is not programmable.

The programming of charging sessions takes place on the mobile app 'My Porsche App' where you configure Timers and Profiles which are then sent automatically to the car. Remember that the charging (and charger) is controlled by the car and not the PMCC (or any EVSE for that matter on any EV).

Programming can also be performed on the PCM and whatever you set on the app is also visible in the PCM (and vice versa). These screen shots are from the app and the PCM just to give you an idea:

TImers:

Porsche Taycan Newbie question on home chargers 1664443090503

Porsche Taycan Newbie question on home chargers 1664443121227

Porsche Taycan Newbie question on home chargers 1664443150366

Porsche Taycan Newbie question on home chargers 1664443171778

Profiles:

Porsche Taycan Newbie question on home chargers 1664443235816

Porsche Taycan Newbie question on home chargers 1664443291295

From the app (Timer):

Porsche Taycan Newbie question on home chargers Daily Timer.PNG

From the app (Profile):

Porsche Taycan Newbie question on home chargers Profile - Preferred Charging Time

Programming can also be performed on My Porsche Website:

The PMCC has a touch panel for access to set security, amps, networking etc and displays the current charging session. All replicate from the web interface when either connected to you home WiFi or via a direct hotspot connection. You won't make much use of it in general but if on your network then charging stats are automatically uploaded to your My Porsche Connect website where you can view charging statistics.

I have the PMCC and rarely access the PMCC directly or via the interface. Setup once and then forget about it.

Sample PMCC display:

Porsche Taycan Newbie question on home chargers 1664444133686

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't know anything about the French legal aspects (@Scandinavian no doubt will).

The PMCC is not programmable.

The programming of charging sessions takes place on the mobile app 'My Porsche App' where you configure Timers and Profiles which are then sent automatically to the car. Remember that the charging (and charger) is controlled by the car and not the PMCC (or any EVSE for that matter on any EV).

Programming can also be performed on the PCM and whatever you set on the app is also visible in the PCM (and vice versa). These screen shots are from the app and the PCM just to give you an idea:

TImers:

1664443090503.png

1664443121227.png

1664443150366.png

1664443171778.png

Profiles:

1664443235816.png

1664443291295.png

From the app (Timer):

Daily Timer.PNG

From the app (Profile):

Profile - Preferred Charging Time.png

Programming can also be performed on My Porsche Website:

View attachment 43921

The PMCC has a touch panel for access to set security, amps, networking etc and displays the current charging session. All replicate from the web interface when either connected to you home WiFi or via a direct hotspot connection. You won't make much use of it in general but if on your network then charging stats are automatically uploaded to your My Porsche Connect website where you can view charging statistics.

I have the PMCC and rarely access the PMCC directly or via the interface. Setup once and then forget about it.

Sample PMCC display:

1664444133686.png

View attachment 43920
Brilliant thank. Very useful. Sorry for being dumb but what is the PCM?

So my garage is too far away from the house to get wifi; is this a problem?

Can I set the KW for charging in the car? As mentioned I could have a higher KW in summer when we are not using the electric heaters.

Thanks

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Brilliant thank. Very useful. Sorry for being dumb but what is the PCM?

So my garage is too far away from the house to get wifi; is this a problem?

Can I set the KW for charging in the car? As mentioned I could have a higher KW in summer when we are not using the electric heaters.

Thanks
PCM = Porsche Communication Management - this is the 'heart' of the Taycan (and any model of Porsche for that matter) - sits in the central dash and is your main media / nav / AC / control for the car.

This is the Home screen of the PCM

Porsche Taycan Newbie question on home chargers 1664446031694

Have a play with the PCM Simulator to get familiar.

WiFi - no problem (you could look to use a range extender / PLC etc but I wouldn't bother. PMCC has a WiFi hotspot feature so you can connect to it directly (point to point) from a mobile device.

The only downside will be that you won't be able to easily upload charging session data as this is managed by the PMCC directly via the WiFi / network connection.

You cannot set the kW in the car this is set on the EVSE itself. So within the PMCC there is a Charging menu where you configure the amps to be used - you'll want this to be 32A to get the most from your 3 phase (or single phase). Set it once and forget about it. All of this can be configured directly on the PMCC via the touch panel.

I've attached the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect manual to familiarise yourself with installation and settings.

Also attached some information on Porsche Connect Services in general (again useful to be familiar with) along with some other useful and relevant docs.

Attachments

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
PCM = Porsche Communication Management - this is the 'heart' of the Taycan (and any model of Porsche for that matter) - sits in the central dash and is your main media / nav / AC / control for the car.

This is the Home screen of the PCM

1664446031694.png

Have a play with the PCM Simulator to get familiar.

WiFi - no problem (you could look to use a range extender / PLC etc but I wouldn't bother. PMCC has a WiFi hotspot feature so you can connect to it directly (point to point) from a mobile device.

The only downside will be that you won't be able to easily upload charging session data as this is managed by the PMCC directly via the WiFi / network connection.

You cannot set the kW in the car this is set on the EVSE itself. So within the PMCC there is a Charging menu where you configure the amps to be used - you'll want this to be 32A to get the most from your 3 phase (or single phase). Set it once and forget about it. All of this can be configured directly on the PMCC via the touch panel.

I've attached the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect manual to familiarise yourself with installation and settings.

Also attached some information on Porsche Connect Services in general (again useful to be familiar with) along with some other useful and relevant docs.
Brilliat thank you. I will read through these. Very helpful