Ordering question

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
Hi,
First time Porsche buyer, I am looking to order Taycan Cross Turismo 4 and reached out to dealers. Looks like all dealers are waiting for allocations and asking for deposit (between 2.5k to 5.0k) to get on the reservation list. Is that typical?
One dealer said once the deposit is paid, I would be guaranteed an allocation in January and can lock that in. Just wanted to check here if that is expected. Do allocations happen every month?

Thanks!
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
2k to 5k for a allocation deposit applied to the final purchase price is not uncommon based on my experience - actually more 10k has been posted by myself in the past for a GT3 allocation.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi,
First time Porsche buyer, I am looking to order Taycan Cross Turismo 4 and reached out to dealers. Looks like all dealers are waiting for allocations and asking for deposit (between 2.5k to 5.0k) to get on the reservation list. Is that typical?
One dealer said once the deposit is paid, I would be guaranteed an allocation in January and can lock that in. Just wanted to check here if that is expected. Do allocations happen every month?

Thanks!
Normal in UK too - £3K for a Macan, £5K for a Taycan / Panamera and £10K for something more exotic. It is fully refundable up to the point where you lock in your build.

OP
OP

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
2k to 5k for a allocation deposit applied to the final purchase price is not uncommon based on my experience - actually more 10k has been posted by myself in the past for a GT3 allocation.
Thank you. So the deposit is essentially to lock an allocation when it becomes available or deposit is against an existing available allocation? Reading on the forum looks like dealers dont really know how many allocations they will get (per month?) so difficult to put a timeline on it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thank you. So the deposit is essentially to lock an allocation when it becomes available or deposit is against an existing available allocation? Reading on the forum looks like dealers dont really know how many allocations they will get (per month?) so difficult to put a timeline on it.
That's correct.

The allocation model (at Porsche) is a bit of a black art and is dependent in part on the size of the dealership, location and typical sales (no doubt there are other factors). Suffice to say that small dealerships with low sales volumes with get lower allocations than one at the other end of the spectrum. They can be as low as 1 - 2 cars (any variant within the model) per month. Remember these are not 'mass produced' cars in the true sense and supply is craftily controlled to ensure demand and to preserve residuals.

So paying a deposit gives you the right to an allocation with an initial build spec of your choice (when the next one at that dealer comes along) and a position in the 'build queue'. As time goes by you get your allocation and then in a few short months be advised of a build slot which means you will be asked to fix your final specification. Once you reach this point you are committed.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi,

Thanks!
Standard operating procedure. But expect at least 6 months from the date of ordering to delivery.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
+1 for @W1NGE says

allocations are “fuzzy”

dealers normally ask for a deposit - and then when an allocation becomes available you will get a ”build slot” and commission number - the commision number is essentially a production build slot at a future date for a particular Porsche product - once you have the commission “slot” you’ll have a build number for tracking and your official build-code will be assigned to that production slot

then it’s just a matter of waiting, pre-production, production, post production, factory exit, shipping entry, it’s on the boat, the boat gets delayed, the boat sinks, you consider giving up on the world, and then you give the dealer another deposit for another build…it’s a great cycle and super healthy for one’s mental health and such

:rock:

deposit means you’re serious, and dealer should assign you one of their allocations when they can - once you get the build/commission build slot from porscche it’s official that a car has been assigned to you

we just got my wife’s 2022 911 Covertible assignement - build lock date is like Jan. 2022, production feb. 2022, april/may delivery - if there are no delays.

congrats -you’ll love the car the worst part is the waiting - the best part is the driving.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi,

Thanks!
My dealer only asked for a $1k deposit and they had an allocation I locked in. However, I've been dealing with the same group, they sell Audi/Porsche/Acura/VW, for over 20 years so that probably helped.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
my dealer also adjusts the deposit to lower if you’re a proven customer with a past history

also deposit is adjusted higher/lower based on their assessment of “build quality” - if a build is too personalized (i.e. it would be hard to sell if original buyer backs out) - they adjust the deposit upwards - dealer said they got a panamera build code once that was highly personalized (very very bespoke and unlikely to appeal to a wide audience) - deposit for that $250k build was $95k non-refundable after build lock date…

buyer backed out - deposit was kept - car was “in inventory” for 18 months or more - eventually became a “loaner” - was in an accident - insurance totalled it - the non-refundable deposit is the only thing that kept the dealer from losing lots of money on that deal…

my 2020 Taycan build - deposit was $2500 - and dealer offered me $10k off another Taycan order (same build) when I took delivery in July of 2020 if I gave up my car and let them sell it on the open market - he thinks he could’ve sold in over MSRP in about 4 hours once they saw it delivered…they liked my choices.

I seriouslly considered it - but had already traded my other DD - so I needed the car and couldn’t wait for another entire build cycle…

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
A few weeks ago I paid a $5K deposit to lock in an allocation in late Jan. My build complete date is scheduled for Jan 28 at the moment.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
my dealer also adjusts the deposit to lower if you’re a proven customer with a past history
you can skip to this level of dealer trust if you simply tattoo “SUCKER” on your forehead (like I have - OMG) - if you’re really really committed the bigger the font and if you can get it to glow in neon it really helps with dealer allocations and deposits…

once you get “sucker” tattooed on your forehead (as I have now for years) - you can then get invited to other high-end vehicle cause they want you to be a sucker for their brand as well - after I started filling out marketing questionaires and listing myself as a Porsche owner I suddentlly started getting invited to Ferarri and McClaren product shows at wineries and such…and while I found myself to be a true died in the wool Porsche Sucker - apparently my font size lacked the proper committment for the other brands…

I love my Porsche products, but I do have SUCKER tattooed on my forehead a bit and they know it - if they didn’t make such great products (not perfect mind you) - I might get the Tattoo removed…but so far so good.

come on in - the water’s fine - you’ll enjoy it - honestly you will…

OP
OP

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
Thank you for all the responses. Looks like its par for the course! At this point I do wonder if I would actually get a MY2022 or its more likely to be MY 2023. One dealer mentioned that they are already booked for first 2 quarters of 2022 and will take a 2k deposit to get on the list for 3rd quarter.

DanielCA92563

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 xDrive45e, Ram 1500, Mach E
Country flag
What about the Freeze dates, are those once a month or does the dealer set those after they give you an allocation?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
freeze dates are related to your specific build - basically after the "freeze" date no more changes to your configuration - lead times very

freeze date on my wife's 2022 911 Cab. is currently Jan. 19th, 2022…

my 2018 GT3 allocation gave me 2 weeks until freeze date - it all depends "when" your dealer got the allocation and when you get it assigned

I've heard of freeze dates as long a 6 months, and as short as 24-48 hours…

it all depends.

it's best to have a configuration "ready" to go with Porsche Code.

rcsting

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
A few weeks ago I paid a $5K deposit to lock in an allocation in late Jan. My build complete date is scheduled for Jan 28 at the moment.
My build completion date is also Jan 28th :) delivering to PECLA
Sponsored