Overboost query on a 4S.

Carts851

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Country flag
Hi all,
Sorry for being maybe a thicko. Contemplating a 4S CT. But I want to make sure I’ve understood the horsepower ratings. It sounds to me like apart from doing launch control which I never will. It’s 100bhp ish less. 560 v 480. It’s not available in kick down is it? Purely at launch?
Went for test drive today. Didn’t do launch control, no point, lovely car, but definitely didn’t feel as fast as my current Tesla M3 LR (the middle one). As my kids would say, there was no “tummy flip”. Which the Tesla does. The car looked and felt great but I wondered if someone could clarify the horses? Upon asking the staff, they had no idea what I was talking about, as pleasant as they were.
Help!
Sponsored

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Not sure knowing the HP will change the feel of the car. If its acceleration too slow, then it's too slow. Porsche is about more than straight-line speed it's the whole dynamic package.

But FWIW, lower HP is what you get at all times unless you are using the launch control routine from stationary (almost never happens in real life) - then you get the higher one for a couple of seconds only

Fitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayman 981 GT4
Country flag
Were you in sports Plus mode? I came from a M3P and while the tesla is faster off the line, the two speed trans in the Taycan is far more passenger scary when launching....that feeling that its accelerated hard but now suddenly its accelerating harder again....will it stop....OMG etc etc. The tesla just dies after an initial hard launch.

Also try accelerating around a corner....thats the Porsche party piece, monkey stamp on gas is for drag racing knuckle dragers

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Borrowing a Panamera at the moment. It has a 'sports response button' which I haven't had before. It would be brilliant if it was available in the Taycan (with Sports chrono) and gave a 20 second burst of the extra HP when needed. Much more useful than launch control.
Hopefully Porsche engineers reading.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a 4S sedan... my Model 3 Performance felt markedly faster off the line. As a counterbalance, however, I almost never do launches anymore and I am 110% happier not accelerating like a maniac everywhere. The Taycan is just so much more fun to drive all of the time, so the stomach butterfly novelty of the instant torque is less necessary. Worth considering.

People do ask me all the time if the Porsche is quicker than my Tesla and are usually disappointed to find out that it's not. What they don't understand is that both are more than quick enough, and I'm not sacrificing anything in the Taycan as in every other respect it's just a much much better car.

OP
OP

Carts851

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Country flag
Thanks, all, for the replies.
Some food for thought.
it looks amazing, and was a fabulous place to sit.
Currently pay £400 a month for a Tesla, but always wanted a Porker. Just wanted to understand the bhp sitch. Apart from the first month of ownership and showing off I won’t be using launch control. So it’s just a case of justifying 3x the money. I don’t get to corner fast due to normally having 2 small people in the back, so I guess I’m a drag strip knuckle dragger. A term I enjoyed reading!!
Really appreciate the replies.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks, all, for the replies.
Some food for thought.
it looks amazing, and was a fabulous place to sit.
Currently pay £400 a month for a Tesla, but always wanted a Porker. Just wanted to understand the bhp sitch. Apart from the first month of ownership and showing off I won’t be using launch control. So it’s just a case of justifying 3x the money. I don’t get to corner fast due to normally having 2 small people in the back, so I guess I’m a drag strip knuckle dragger. A term I enjoyed reading!!
Really appreciate the replies.
There's definitely some classist associations with drag racing here in the U.S, especially that of the stop light variety. Let's just say there aren't many Hellcat ads placed in Architectural Digest. MOPAR POWER!!!!

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Tesla added "Chill Mode" to reduce off the line acceleration due to driver complaints of premature tire wear.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi all,
Sorry for being maybe a thicko. Contemplating a 4S CT. But I want to make sure I’ve understood the horsepower ratings. It sounds to me like apart from doing launch control which I never will. It’s 100bhp ish less. 560 v 480. It’s not available in kick down is it? Purely at launch?
Went for test drive today. Didn’t do launch control, no point, lovely car, but definitely didn’t feel as fast as my current Tesla M3 LR (the middle one). As my kids would say, there was no “tummy flip”. Which the Tesla does. The car looked and felt great but I wondered if someone could clarify the horses? Upon asking the staff, they had no idea what I was talking about, as pleasant as they were.
Help!
Overboost on Launch only. 571 PS on CT4S - T4S is 0.1s quicker 0 - 62 mph - both cars with PB+.

'Kickdown' - depending on speed will drop to 1st gear for extra oomph before changing to second.

OPLA1925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TCT4
Country flag
Two things from a 4S owner:

1) in motion acceleration is way more aggressive in sport mode

2) I’m CERTAIN it accelerates faster when the charge is more than around 70 percent.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Two things from a 4S owner:

1) in motion acceleration is way more aggressive in sport mode

2) I’m CERTAIN it accelerates faster when the charge is more than around 70 percent.
It will do as per the Sport mode in any Porsche.

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
Switched from a TM3P 2019 to a Taycan 4S a month and a half ago and i confirm that i've absolutely no regrets ;)
Sponsored