Panamera v Taycan - the man maths

kingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera E-Hybrid, Taycan Turbo (ordered)
Country flag
£4K insurance! My car is on order and I didn't think to get quotes, is that price right? Sounds very steep..........

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
£4K insurance! My car is on order and I didn't think to get quotes, is that price right? Sounds very steep..........
It's not that bad £700 44 year old and 9 points here.

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
It is a lot higher than one would expect. Simply because it's an EV it seems. Mine's £1800/year at 26 with 5 years no claims for a 4S.

And as a comparison, my dad has a Panamera Turbo and is getting the Tacan Turbo S which causes his insurance cost to double.

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
All electric cars are generally more expensive to insure - maybe a fire risk or something.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
EV fire risk is very low compared to ICE vehicles - which in the US has a documented rate of 500 vehicle fires a day - I’m unaware of any data supporting an assertion EV’s carry a statically significant greater risk of fire - in fact the data that is available indicates a much lower risk of fire for EV’s vs. their ICE cousins - perhaps it has something to do with ICE vehicles carrying around with them gallons of the most volatile energy dense substances known to man (fact)…

I’m sorry for jumping on this - but casual observation/assertion that EV’s have a fire risk is a pervasive and debunked anti-EV talking point that to date is 100% unsupported but for some reason gets trotted out occasionally - I welcome any reference to any factual reports supporting that assertion - I’ll wait over here in the corner while you go look that up.

OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Jeez seems like all our US members are getting out on the wrong side of bed today :D

I said “maybe”!

I’ll go have my beer whilst you look up the meaning of that word :)

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
In New York, at least, I have not seen a big difference in insuring my Taycan vs my Audi A7.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
perhaps we just need to all meet at the pub and have a good time together - oh crap - there is that whole pandemic thing and social distancing

I’m just grumpy because I’ve had limited social interactions since mid-march

going to the pub with you sounds nice! I’d drive to see you at one if the EA fast charging network actually worked or wasn’t arbitrarily shut down...

what I can say for certain is that salt-water and Ev batteries are not friends with each other - does Iceland have a fast charger? I’m going to need it to get to London....

ahh london - I was there in 2017 - wanna go back - need to spend more time.

Squarecircle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s +
Country flag
£800 for mine, under 40 with Admiral. Porsche wanted £2,500 and most quotes were around that other than admiral or admiral owned entities.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Here where everything is expensive insurance is going to be CHF 2100/yr via Porsche or my current insurer. Maybe I need to look around a bit more.

kingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera E-Hybrid, Taycan Turbo (ordered)
Country flag
Anything less than £1K sounds great to me for insurance. I suspect my OL postcode will bite me on the arse though.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm in the US but my insurance is quite affordable. Comparable or less than any other luxury sedan/SUV I've had. Much less than a 992 was quoted at.

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
On another note, I think these insurance brokers and comparison sites are purposely hiking the prices of electric vehicles. All due to the prospect of autonomous driving and some car manufacturers like Tesla stating that they're so confident in the safety of the self-driving capabilities, that they will take ownership of the insurance. Thus, massively reducing the income of these aforementioned insurance companies/sites.

andyxxl

First Name
andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 S
Country flag
Changed From GLC 63 S to Taycan S and insurance dropped about 15%.
Sponsored