Passenger side mirror not lowering with reverse selected.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Also worth noting for OP perhaps and anyone following this thread that the dipping passenger (only) side mirror is not a function with the base 8 way seats unless you have Driver Memory Pack. Standard with 14 or 18 way seats.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The mirror must be positioned first (reset).

With the car powered on select R then adjust the passenger mirror until you see as much of the kerb as needed, select N, the mirror will return to the original position after a few seconds and is now set for next time R is selected.
Thanks. I laughed, as when I went to the car and put it in reverse, it actually moved the mirror down this time. Finally figured out what was throwing me off. When you put it in Drive, or Neutral, the mirror doesn't move back for maybe 30 seconds or longer, (I put it in drive, nothing happened, drove it up and down the street, eventually it moved). In the past, this is where I would conclude it didn't work, reset the mirror to where I want it for driving and drive off. Not sure if this is intentional, or just poorly written software.

Should the driver's side mirror also lower in reverse? The settings specifically says "Mirror" not "Mirrors".

Last edited:

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thanks. I laughed, as when I went to the car and put it in reverse, it actually moved the mirror down this time. Finally figured out what was throwing me off. When you put it in Drive, or Neutral, the mirror doesn't move back for maybe 30 seconds or longer, (I put it in drive, nothing happened, drove it up and down the street, eventually it moved). In the past, this is where I would conclude it didn't work, reset the mirror to where I want it for driving and drive off. Not sure if this is intentional, or just poorly written software.

Should the driver's side mirror also lower in reverse? The settings specifically says "Mirror" not "Mirrors".
Passenger mirror only.

Tomato

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Workaround to have both mirrors go down is to save seat and mirror settings to profile 1 & 3. Then change the two mirrors to the right viewing angle for reversing and save it to 3. Now when I reverse, I just press and hold profile 3 on the door and both driver and passenger mirrors will go down to the proper angle. When I move forward, just press and hold profile 1. It's an extra step but this way both mirrors will go down and back up as soon as you press the profile button.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Also worth noting for OP perhaps and anyone following this thread that the dipping passenger (only) side mirror is not a function with the base 8 way seats unless you have Driver Memory Pack. Standard with 14 or 18 way seats.
It actually is included with even the base seats, at least in the US. I have the feature.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Workaround to have both mirrors go down is to save seat and mirror settings to profile 1 & 3. Then change the two mirrors to the right viewing angle for reversing and save it to 3. Now when I reverse, I just press and hold profile 3 on the door and both driver and passenger mirrors will go down to the proper angle. When I move forward, just press and hold profile 1. It's an extra step but this way both mirrors will go down and back up as soon as you press the profile button.
Nice idea, though it shouldn't be necessary if Porsche had actually designed the user experience. So many things in Porsche software seem so unfinished, such moving the steering column for exit and entry. Works fine for the most generic usecase, if I remember to turn the car off with the button, but doesn't work for road tripping when you sit in a car, then want to get out to unplug it before going forward. I get Porsche is new to software, but for simple things like this, why not just copy from Tesla whose software has been around longer and on more cars than Porsche. Reverse is simple, when enabled, setting both mirror positions while in reverse will bring it back to the same position whenever in reverse (and it's tied to driver profile too, in case you have more than one driver). Since profiles remember mirror positions, obviously the hardware is capable for both mirrors. Why they did it only for one mirror escapes me. Maybe because their vendor wanted more money to copy paste the code for the other mirror?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Only the passenger side dips.

Works the same way on all Porsche cars - since years ago.

If you have 360 cameras use the side view and drive to the blue side markers for either side of the car.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Nice idea, though it shouldn't be necessary if Porsche had actually designed the user experience. So many things in Porsche software seem so unfinished, such moving the steering column for exit and entry. Works fine for the most generic usecase, if I remember to turn the car off with the button, but doesn't work for road tripping when you sit in a car, then want to get out to unplug it before going forward. I get Porsche is new to software, but for simple things like this, why not just copy from Tesla whose software has been around longer and on more cars than Porsche. Reverse is simple, when enabled, setting both mirror positions while in reverse will bring it back to the same position whenever in reverse (and it's tied to driver profile too, in case you have more than one driver). Since profiles remember mirror positions, obviously the hardware is capable for both mirrors. Why they did it only for one mirror escapes me. Maybe because their vendor wanted more money to copy paste the code for the other mirror?
Porsche had kerb view long before Tesla was an embryo.

Driver / seat memory works just fine IMHO - to retract the driver's seat when the car is powered on when opening the driver's door could potentially crush the knees of a rear occupant hence why it works as designed.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Must be a stateside thing but I generally park 99.9% of the time passenger side to the kerb.

Use the kerb view if you have 360 cameras - much simpler than faffing with poorly located memory buttons.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
It actually is included with even the base seats, at least in the US. I have the feature.
Always subtle differences between Euro and US spec. I just checked the configurator. You still need Driver Memory Pack in UK at least if you only have 8 way seats.

Porsche Taycan Passenger side mirror not lowering with reverse selected. F12D692F-C9DF-4C6A-9B7A-3597ACEC2468

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche had kerb view long before Tesla was an embryo.

Driver / seat memory works just fine IMHO - to retract the driver's seat when the car is powered on when opening the driver's door could potentially crush the knees of a rear occupant hence why it works as designed.
Retracting the seat/steering wheel is meant to help enter/exit the car. Your argument of crushing the rear occupant applies just the same if the driver shuts off the car in order to exit, unless you will tell me next that the car will not let me turn it off if there is anyone sitting in the back seat. If that is the case, then sure, only retract the seat if opening the door while unbuckled AND nobody sitting behind the driver, would be the best solution.

The exit profile also screws up a lot. Plenty of times since I got the car I get into it, start driving and realize that while the seat is all set, the steering wheel has not come back to the set position (lucky I can press the profile 1 where I saved its position to move it there). I find Porsche software to work very inconsistently, sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. It is also inconsistent in terms of repeatable experiences, for example locking via remote folds mirrors, but locking via the phone app, does not. Even things like opening the trunk with foot, or closing the car by touching the handle, or opening the car by touching the handle, sometimes work, other times don't. I remember trying to lock my car in the middle of a snowstorm last week, took me many tries, both with touch and the remote, as the car kept on unlocking itself. No door, trunk or window was open. Finally, I manage to lock it, then check the car status via the app while at the hotel - the car is unlocked (yes, the dot was green indicating the car is online). Had to go back out to relock it, AGAIN! Another software oddity, why sometime when I come to locked car and touch the door handle, the car re-locks itself instead of opening (and no, I am not touching the "lock" notch, but even if, it would make sense that if the car is locked already, don't lock it again if you sense a touch on the handle). Last but not least, sometimes the phone app tells me windows are open, even if they are not. I've gone outside to check, all windows closes, app tells me one or more of them are open, WTF?

Maybe there is something wrong with my car, I even had a problem unlocking it with the remote couple of days ago, wouldn't unlock when I was standing at the driver's door, but then I walked towards the passenger door and it unlocked ok. It has worked fine since though. It has also showed me "key not detected" 3 or 4 times since I've had it, but usually that resolved itself within 5s or so. Unfortunately I cannot reproduce these issues at will, so taking it into the dealer just seems like a waste of time.

I've only had the car for 1.5 weeks so far, though I drove it for over 91hrs/5600km so far (according to MyPorsche stats), so I have had some representative time with it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
What's a kerb view?
Kerb view is part of the Park Assist package(s). Cars with 360 pano view or higher (e.g. Remote Park Assist with 3D) will have a side view of the car displayed from each door mounted camera and a solid blue line to denote the safe distance from the wheel(s) to the kerb.

On the camera display you will see a solid blue line on the left and right-hand side views. When parking and your Park Assist is active simply tap the sideview icon to display.

I've not had any issues with losing settings either so perhaps you have a gremlin somewhere.

Locking - been discussed on the forum some while back but the operation is as per any other Porsche and not unique to the Taycan (in fact most non-EV features are not unique to the Taycan). Folding of mirrors also doesn't occur when the car has been unlocked and no door, frunk or trunk has been opened within 45 secs. The car will lock but the mirrors remain retraced - I assume to make you aware that the car has either been unlocked or not locked. Same when performed via the app which takes to long to operate in any case to be of any use.

Moisture on the door sensors / fingers can be an issue but your particular use cases sound like you have a general software issue which may be solved by a hard reset of the PCM (via 12v battery disconnect).

Porsche Taycan Passenger side mirror not lowering with reverse selected. Screenshot_20230224-093337_My Porsche

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Kerb view is part of the Park Assist package(s). Cars with 360 pano view or higher (e.g. Remote Park Assist with 3D) will have a side view of the car displayed from each door mounted camera and a solid blue line to denote the safe distance from the wheel(s) to the kerb.

On the camera display you will see a solid blue line on the left and right-hand side views. When parking and your Park Assist is active simply tap the sideview icon to display.

I've not had any issues with losing settings either so perhaps you have a gremlin somewhere.

Locking - been discussed on the forum some while back but the operation is as per any other Porsche and not unique to the Taycan (in fact most non-EV features are not unique to the Taycan). Folding of mirrors also doesn't occur when the car has been unlocked and no door, frunk or trunk has been opened within 45 secs. The car will lock but the mirrors remain retraced - I assume to make you aware that the car has either been unlocked or not locked. Same when performed via the app which takes to long to operate in any case to be of any use.

Moisture on the door sensors / fingers can be an issue but your particular use cases sound like you have a general software issue which may be solved by a hard reset of the PCM (via 12v battery disconnect).

Screenshot_20230224-093337_My Porsche.jpg
Thanks, I will look for the side/kerb view. I have 3D and the other, but haven't seen/tried the side view.

Any idea why my trunk would sometimes stop part way down when I hit the "close and lock" button? It's happened twice so far, I hit the button, start walking away, look back and realize the trunk stopped before actually closing, but the door handles are folded and the mirrors too. No obstruction for the trunk, stopped mid-air. I assumed maybe the car sensed me walking away and shut off before checking the trunk finished closing? Never happened when hitting the close only button and waiting for it to close.