Roppe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S MY22
Country flag
When was your car produced? Mine was built late December, and I have the 9J1 035 070 hardware.
Sponsored

Ramvet

First Name
Lorin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 T 4S, 2018 Suzuki 1000 GSX-S
Country flag
Hi Folks,
It appears Porsche employees have a secret forum of their own not accessible to the public. Bringing my 2021 4S in for it's THIRD recall/update campaign (improper flasher activation on close fwd collision warnings and replacing all 3 AC pressure sensors), the service rep said PCM 6.0 will be installed in 2022 Taycans assembled in the second half of this year sometime. PCM 6.0 is not backward compatible because the hardware on vehicles assembled before that cannot handle PCM 6.0. He learned this on the aforementioned forum. FWIW.

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
So the big question for me remains the same. When is/was the cutover date to the “PAD” PCM part number from the “J91” part number. So far we have one confirmed (Lpher) PCM cutover from the VIN tracking at a 24th January build date. Does anyone have any vehicle VIN built after that? Anyone have a vin number for a car that was built in the last 3 weeks?

Last edited:

mlambert890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi Folks,
It appears Porsche employees have a secret forum of their own not accessible to the public. Bringing my 2021 4S in for it's THIRD recall/update campaign (improper flasher activation on close fwd collision warnings and replacing all 3 AC pressure sensors), the service rep said PCM 6.0 will be installed in 2022 Taycans assembled in the second half of this year sometime. PCM 6.0 is not backward compatible because the hardware on vehicles assembled before that cannot handle PCM 6.0. He learned this on the aforementioned forum. FWIW.
Again... "PCM 6" is the platform. We all have PCM 6. What changes is the "Central Computer" hardware as well as the PCM software stack. To date all Taycan's shipped have hardware in the H91J035 family including early 2022s. There is a new hardware revision coming for new 2022s that has prefix PAD. What the service rep said makes no sense at all, so something was either lost in translation or he's an idiot.

What he might have been trying to say is that the new software update, that includes Spotify, is somehow only compatible with the PAD hardware. If this is the case, then even early 2022 buyers are SOL and it would be time to start a class action (and I really never suggest that)

Porsche pulling this shit within a generation is bad enough. Pulling it within a model year they can't be allowed to get away with honestly. Either way, after a lifetime of being a loyal customer, they've really pissed me off with this one. I'm sure that's true of many 2020/2021/early 2022 owners as well. It's a really bad look for them. They're lucky Tesla can't seem to build a car that provides the driver engagement of a Model 3 in an overall package that is high end and looks good.

Last edited:

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
Hi Folks,
If I translate this to:

“rep said PCM 6.0 “PAD part number prefix” will be installed in 2022 Taycans assembled in the second half of this “model” year (meaning February) sometime. PCM 6.0 “9J1 part number prefix” is not backward compatible because the hardware on vehicles assembled “with” that cannot handle PCM 6.0 “PAD’s updated software”.

it makes since to me.

does anyone have a VIN built after January 24th they can check for PAD?

Last edited:

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
Guys, today is wk7 already. Any news on the release of this new SW update?

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
PCM hardware cutover update:

My car went into production today (15FE) and I did get my VIN. And using @lpher’s technique of checking the PCM part number, confirmed it is the “PAD” hardware vs the “9J1”.

OP
OP
awharton

awharton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes EQC400
Country flag
PCM hardware cutover update:

My car went into production today (15FE) and I did get my VIN. And using @lpher’s technique of checking the PCM part number, confirmed it is the “PAD” hardware vs the “9J1”.
Same with mine. Also ties in with what the dealer confirmed to me earlier that the software update was only applicable to newly built vehicles (with new hardware).

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
More and more likely it doesn’t seem likely that 2020 and 21 models will get the UI upgrade. I’m over it, but. I really don’t get why something as simple as an OS update was overlooked during the design process of this platform? Did they anticipate changing the CPU mid cycle or mid model year?

I realized Porsche were flying by the seat of their pants when 2020 didn’t have plug and charge and people who bought 2021 with 19@kwh chargers couldn’t do it either due to an engineering issue they didn’t even realize until the cars were delivered. This is a really low level issue for most engineering projects that should have been detected easily and rectified before production, yet Porsche looked like children dabbling in a grown ups office with that.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Frankly I don't care about colored icons, but I am overall really pissed about what feels like the end of the line when I've only had my car for about 18 months. Porsche think they want to charge me $30/month at some point for connected services on a car that they essentially abandoned after less than two years in my garage? Feels like time to seriously think about selling the car...

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
If I translate this to:

“rep said PCM 6.0 “PAD part number prefix” will be installed in 2022 Taycans assembled in the second half of this “model” year (meaning February) sometime. PCM 6.0 “9J1 part number prefix” is not backward compatible because the hardware on vehicles assembled “with” that cannot handle PCM 6.0 “PAD’s updated software”.

it makes since to me.

does anyone have a VIN built after January 24th they can check for PAD?
Sorry, but I don't believe this will be such stupid plan by Porsche. like: H9J1035140AG(Asian HW), The last char for HW part number stands by "HW small revision", and the 2nd last char is "HW big revision", 3 digits before that was region code, so you can clearly see latest HW big version is "A", and it has been upgrade from C, D, G, H. This is the way how HW development goes. I believe for "old fashion" company like Porsche will follow such kind of traditional development cycle of HW. I don't believe they will dramatically change the HW parts, which have no benefit to them, only big complains from customers.

and besides, as a software engineering guy for 20+ years, I don't believe changing color of icons and install a "Spotify" will need a totally new HW machine...

Stay tuned, I truly believe, most of the existing taycan owner will possibly get new SW upgrade from technical point of view. Maybe older HW(versions before "A") will have some problems from performance point of view. but I think version "A" HW should be totally OK to install new SW.

mlambert890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Sorry, but I don't believe this will be such stupid plan by Porsche. like: H9J1035140AG(Asian HW), The last char for HW part number stands by "HW small revision", and the 2nd last char is "HW big revision", 3 digits before that was region code, so you can clearly see latest HW big version is "A", and it has been upgrade from C, D, G, H. This is the way how HW development goes. I believe for "old fashion" company like Porsche will follow such kind of traditional development cycle of HW. I don't believe they will dramatically change the HW parts, which have no benefit to them, only big complains from customers.

and besides, as a software engineering guy for 20+ years, I don't believe changing color of icons and install a "Spotify" will need a totally new HW machine...

Stay tuned, I truly believe, most of the existing taycan owner will possibly get new SW upgrade from technical point of view. Maybe older HW(versions before "A") will have some problems from performance point of view. but I think version "A" HW should be totally OK to install new SW.
Could be yeah. Just because the new software is coming first on the "PAD" prefix hardware doesn't necessarily mean it can't come for the H9J prefix hardware. It could be there are other design reasons they've updated the "Central Computer" significantly enough to go from H9J to PAD. The other thing is, depending on what the parts map looks like, it's not inconceivable that PAD could be retrofitted into a 2020/2021/early 2022.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Porsche’s ongoing software process announcements and general approach and behavior continues to confirm my opinions - they are hopelessly outmatched when it comes to software/digital - they are sooo hopelessly lost…

lower your expectations and you won‘t be disappointed

if you want a great car get a Porsche
if you want great tech get a Tesla

to date there isn’t anyone that does both really really well.
Sponsored