PEC ATL delivery then returning to CT via charging network too risky?

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Curious if anyone as driven home north bound a considerable distance from PEC Atlanta. I have taken delivery @ PEC previously and the experience is 1000x better than taking delivery at my local dealership (no offense to them!). I'd love to pick up my 2023 Taycan Turbo @ PEC if possible.

My previous experiences were with ICE Porsche's and as the driver I was the only limiting factor in the return trip. I have no problem with the trip taking longer and I will pace the stops accordingly and plan a trip to take 2 nights/3 days rather than 2 days 1 night like in the past.

My question and concern is the Electrify America network up I-95N (or similar routes to New England). Am I setting myself up for disappointment? If we were taking our Model Y Performance I would have no concerns at all.

This long after launch is the Porsche nav/charging route planning system finally robust enough to route me accordingly or will I need to preplan my stops and/or be ready with a phone app to adapt on the fly?

Thanks for your experiences and advice.
Sponsored

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I don't think it's anything a little planning with Plugshare and ABRP couldn't handle - but I'm on the west coast

I just did a 2000'ish mile road trip (SF Bay area to Walla Wall to Seattle and back to SF Bay Area) with my Taycan and while EA was never perfect it never stranded me

on the west coast we also have charge point & EVGo - so even if EA doesn't float your boat these days I'm finding there is always plan-b with other charging networks

I think it's possible, not too bad probably, but some planning/investigation will make it less painful and don't be afraid of the other FastDC chargers if necessary.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I don't think it's anything a little planning with Plugshare and ABRP couldn't handle - but I'm on the west coast

I just did a 2000'ish mile road trip (SF Bay area to Walla Wall to Seattle and back to SF Bay Area) with my Taycan and while EA was never perfect it never stranded me

on the west coast we also have charge point & EVGo - so even if EA doesn't float your boat these days I'm finding there is always plan-b with other charging networks

I think it's possible, not too bad probably, but some planning/investigation will make it less painful and don't be afraid of the other FastDC chargers if necessary.
also given your existing experience as an EV owner (you have/had Tesla and have road tripped) I think you will not be pleasantly surprised, but capable of overcoming obsticles.

NOTE: while EA is a sh*t show - when the Taycan and an EA 350 kW charger "work" - it's a glorious thing and charges way way way faster than any of my 5 or 6 (I've lost count) Tesla's ever did!!! Honestly best thing ever in terms of charging speed. As a former Tesla owner the Taycan's charge tapering curve is unreal and super fast…

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Take into account that our MYP is a daily driver usually charging at home using ~50-75 miles of range per day. We've only supercharged a handful of times and have seen 500-1000 miles per hour depending on the charger thus far. I was blown away @ 1000miles per hour. We only stayed as long as necessary so after adding ~100 miles in about 5 minutes we were on our way.

Are you able to put the 350kw speeds into a MPH rate # for X length of time for comparison?

Also is it possible to filter these chargers using the Taycan's nav system or will I be using the EA app? Thanks for your help Dave.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
@Jenner

When is your car expected to arrive in Atlanta? Range and weather will play a factor if your car arrives before next April, so plan accordingly.

In regards to charging, there is an Electrify America charger every 125 miles up and down I-25, so all you have to do is verify they are in working order via Plugshare and the EA app. It is not that complicated once you have a rough estimation of where the EA chargers are and you input your route via the Porsche nav.

Also, identify hotels that have a working destination charger, so you start each morning at 100% battery. Get your self a Teslatap or similar Tesla converter so you can expand your choice of hotels to include ones that have Tesla destination chargers.

Finally, don't over think the trip. You are doing one of the easiest routes imaginable - straight north on I-95. Do not get frustrated if you need to deviate, or change your schedule. $hit happens, so try to relax and enjoy the drive.

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Already have the TeslaTap 60amp :like:

Current eta to dealership is 3/17 but with the 12v shortage and shipping port/boat issues I don't believe that for a second. Also my previous experience with PEC added 2-4 weeks to get the car to PEC from my dealership ETA. So I am expecting summer delivery rather than spring. But from everything I am seeing with the shortages it could possibly be a year from now which is a risk but I am willing to take it for the PEC experience.

My biggest concern here is getting stuck thinking I have the range to get to a charger and either the route planning software is buggy or I arrive and find out the charger is broken/offline am left with very limited options or am stuck waiting for Porsche Roadside. This isn't ever a concern on the Tesla network.

I'm all for an "adventure" and having to put a little effort into the trip as long as it is realistic and feasible to do. I am hoping it has been long enough since I dropped my 2020 allocation (due to charging network, and lack of certain options I wanted or being forced to take certain options I didn't want) that the bugs on the Porsche software have been worked out and the EA network as become more robust. But some of the stories I have read on these forums concern me on this type of trip. But it sounds like I am more concerned than I need be...

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Take into account that our MYP is a daily driver usually charging at home using ~50-75 miles of range per day. We've only supercharged a handful of times and have seen 500-1000 miles per hour depending on the charger thus far. I was blown away @ 1000miles per hour. We only stayed as long as necessary so after adding ~100 miles in about 5 minutes we were on our way.

Are you able to put the 350kw speeds into a MPH rate # for X length of time for comparison?

Also is it possible to filter these chargers using the Taycan's nav system or will I be using the EA app? Thanks for your help Dave.
I’d be confident taking the I-95 route with an EV, knowing charger availability and density are higher than most other parts of the country. Did a quick route on ABRP and you’ll be passing 1-3 EA charging stations with each charging leg of the trip which means there is some redundancy should one not be functioning properly.

Tesla chargers supposedly peak at 250kw (with rumors they will push higher soon) so if they use a 4mi/kWh efficiency that would equate to 1000 miles per hour. Taycan is 270kw peak but lower efficiency (I’d guess 3-3.5 mi/kWh best case scenario). The Taycan can sustain the higher charging speeds for a much longer span of charging than the Tesla. If Tesla can boost to the rumored 380kw speed, not sure how that will impact the charging curve.

I did a 900 mile one day roadtrip a couple months back and only one of the six charging stops was longer than 17 minutes. I was very impressed with the Taycan charging rate.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Curious if anyone as driven home north bound a considerable distance from PEC Atlanta. I have taken delivery @ PEC previously and the experience is 1000x better than taking delivery at my local dealership (no offense to them!). I'd love to pick up my 2023 Taycan Turbo @ PEC if possible.

My previous experiences were with ICE Porsche's and as the driver I was the only limiting factor in the return trip. I have no problem with the trip taking longer and I will pace the stops accordingly and plan a trip to take 2 nights/3 days rather than 2 days 1 night like in the past.

My question and concern is the Electrify America network up I-95N (or similar routes to New England). Am I setting myself up for disappointment? If we were taking our Model Y Performance I would have no concerns at all.

This long after launch is the Porsche nav/charging route planning system finally robust enough to route me accordingly or will I need to preplan my stops and/or be ready with a phone app to adapt on the fly?

Thanks for your experiences and advice.
I have had no issues with using EA when driving north from FL via I 95. the charger at Newark DE can get congested.

Out of Atl you could take I 85 to I 95 or to I 77 then I 81 then decide how to get through or around NYC.
you need to check a better route planner and plughshare to confirm the chargers along the routes

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Candidly, if the Taycan can’t do this trip in 2022, that would be very concerning.

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Candidly, if the Taycan can’t do this trip in 2022, that would be very concerning.
I agree, but ironically it is the GM of my dealership (He handles my purchases as I’ve been with him for over 20 years) who suggested dropping PEC delivery for this order because of the trip home!

His comment is the reason I started this thread.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I agree, but ironically it is the GM of my dealership (He handles my purchases as I’ve been with him for over 20 years) who suggested dropping PEC delivery for this order because of the trip home!

I think that there are several reasons not to do this, but the charging network isn’t what I would have been concerned about. If it turns out that this would be a major issue, then VW/EA have a lot of work to do.

personally, I wouldn’t make the trip out of concern for getting damage while driving through an unfamiliar area. For major highway miles, I would want extensive ppf coverage.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
95 corridor is pretty good. I don't think you would have any trouble that you can't over some. If you decide it's a no go for you, you can drive down to FL and take the auto train up to VA.

@wemct makes the trip often. Chat with him. The only caution I have for you... I95 is a rock chip haven. I'd cover the front of the car with temp ppf for your trip home.

drkgt3rs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3RS
Country flag
Last July I did round trip from northern NJ to Savannah, GA. I did 4 charging stops on each way without any single problem.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I did PEC ATL delivery and recommend it highly. EA can be frustrating, but the east coast EV corridor is well built out and I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag

he doesn't know what he is talking about. I have done the trip many times in EVs, at least 3 times in my taycan
Sponsored