Polar993

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 720s, Porsche 993, Alpina Z8, Ferrari 328,
Country flag
I am considering the purchase of a 2022 CT Turbo S or a 2023 ST GTS.

I have read that the performance difference between the Turbo S and the GTS during general driving is fairly close in terms of acceleration and handling, and the primary difference is when the car is in launch control. In launch control is when you can really tell the big difference in power between the Turbo S and the GTS. Is this true? The recorded 0-60mph times are certainly significantly better in the Turbo S, but I don’t really plan on using launch control often (maybe when I first get the car, but certainly not often), and I would like to know if the GTS performs close to the Turbo S when using Sport mode or Sport Plus mode?

The price difference between the two models is significant in terms of MSRP, but the depreciation of the Turbo S is steep and that puts the cars fairly close in price….at least with the options of the cars I’m considering.

Both cars have the rear wheel steering option, and I do realize the Turbo S has ceramic brakes, and the GTS I’m looking at has the standard steel brakes. Aside from the lack of brake dust with the ceramic brakes, do I really need the high performance stopping power on the Taycan? I’m not looking to track this car….i have a 720S for that!

I also heard that the majority of braking for regular, casual driving in the Taycan uses the regenerative brakes, not the actual brakes themselves. Is this true? Does that mean that there is reduced brake dust on Taycan with steel brakes compared to other cars?

Anything else I should consider when choosing between a Turbo S and a GTS? The Turbo S has more miles, and is a ‘22, and that is why they are similar in price.

Appreciate your feedback!
Sponsored

Last edited:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I have read that the performance difference between the Turbo S and the GTS during general driving is fairly close in terms of acceleration and handling, and the primary difference is when the car is in launch control. In launch control is when you can really tell the big difference in power between the Turbo S and the GTS. Is this true? The recorded 0-60mph times are certainly significantly better in the Turbo S, but I don’t really plan on using launch control often (maybe when I first get the car, but certainly not often), and I would like to know if the GTS performs close to the Turbo S when using Sport mode or Sport Plus mode?
On handling performance, the performance options (rather than motor output) are the key differentiator, and any power level Taycan can be built with any combination. <EDIT- I forgot- the GTS is stated as having uniquely-tuned suspension, ?steering? and maybe other items, so presumably it will feel different to a Turbo S, but would Porsche make the top of the range Turbo S with inferior characteristics...>
On acceleration performance, the most common opinion I've noted (by owners as well as reviewers) is that the GTS is slightly superior to the 4S, and that the Turbo and Turbo S are only differentiated using Launch Control. When taking it easy in Normal mode, the Taycan's accelerator pedal operates so smoothly that I'd expect all Taycans to feel very similar. When driving more spiritedly, the difference between Normal-Sport-Sport Plus can feel much more dramatic in the same car. I ended up with a Turbo, having test driven a 4S- not because I felt the 4S lacking (in fact I was blown away by the performance in Sport), but I wanted to cater for rare opportunities when I could dial it up to 11 (also, it perks up a bit more quickly when called upon in normal mode).
In summary, I think you'll need to drive examples of whatever variants you are considering to decide for yourself if you'll use and enjoy any power differential enough to justify the cost differential- though that should be an easier conclusion to reach when looking at the relatively smaller price differences when used than when new.

Last edited:

RSouthern

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS and several others and 2 MCs
Country flag
I may be wrong, but I think the GTS has the PSCB brakes as the base option, these are the tungsten carbide coated brakes which are harder than steel and produce less brake dust, so it's a step down from ceramics but is a step up from the steel rotors and will keep the shiny calipers cleaner, longer!

Edit: I stand corrected and have edited my post accordingly! PSCB are an option, so disregard the above text! PSCB are still a nice option and not nearly as expensive to replace (eventually) as the ceramic brakes.

I've also heard that the Taycan does most of the braking using regenerative braking, so the brake rotor material may largely be an aesthetic choice (color of the caliper) rather than a performance choice. Although I have noticed that I don't see that much recuperation happening on the power gauge when braking in my GTS, but I have <2000 miles so maybe it will increase over time?

I have a 2022 GTS sedan and love it! More than enough power on tap in normal (or range) mode to put yourself anywhere you want on the road and 100mph comes up way too quickly if you're not careful. I get 260-270 miles from 100% although I'm only charging to ~85% to help preserve battery life. I don't know what the Turbo get's but seem to remember range is closer to 220 miles, but that may have been before the SW upgrades to let the front motor disconnect when not needed.

The Turbos are nice, but I test drove a 2021 Turbo and a brand new 2023 GTS before buying a CPO 2022 GTS (~150 miles) and around town, no one cares what the badge on the back says other than you and both cars are faster than pretty much everything else. I believe the 0-60 for the GTS is around 3.4 seconds while the Turbo is 2.9. The GTS is about as fast as the GTR I traded in (when not in launch mode) and too fast for most driving conditions, except at a closed course so I'm happy with the greater range and don't wish I had more power, ever.

My advice is buy the car that has the options and color you like or want! Find the options you must have and let that guide you. If you don't see that now, wait a bit and other cars will show up, the market seems a bit soft right now, so if you can wait, you will probably benefit with either color+options or price. One other option to keep in mind is the onboard charger selection... 19.2Kw for home L2 and/or the 150kw/400V chargers may make a difference in the future when Tesla opens up their network or if you have access to the higher power DC chargers in your area. See the Porsche configurator for details on what these offer. These were both must-have's for me to hedge my bets for the future.

One other thing to consider, the Turbo may have gone through more depreciation than the GTS, so you might be at the flatter part of that curve on the Turbo.

Last edited:

RSouthern

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS and several others and 2 MCs
Country flag
@mystermykee thanks for correcting that. I also double checked on the configurator and yes, PSCB are an option. My mistake!

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Best to try and have a go in both ref the driving experience. See what you think.

The other thing to consider is spec. Check both options and base spec on both.

Also, do you need the extra ground clearance of the CT?

I don't think you can make a "bad" choice here :)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Also take a look at the standard options on the turbo s as you’ll get more things there vs GTS.

As a turbo s owner, which I would argue has a perfect spec, it feels good that there’s absolutely nothing I could upgrade to. Love this machine.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Base GTS brakes are the regular steel cast iron brakes.
FIFY :)

I know I'm being pedantic but steel gives poor brake consistency.
I do realise a lot of people, maybe even a majority, call cast iron brake discs "steel" but they aren't...

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
If you live in CT, then the CT is a really good option given the road quality and weather conditions in this region.
Sponsored