Uknown

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY20
Country flag
I get this occasionally if my hand is on the wheel at 7 or 8 ( lower wheel ). Almost always on the freeway at cruising speed.

NSurge

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I had minimal problems with this on my 2021 Taycan 4S. Now I have a 2023 Taycan GTS and it happens way more. The dealer said Porsche did change the threshold of activation and there was no way they could modify it.

I agree it's very dangerous to have the car suddenly brake on the interstate, especially in high traffic and also unsettling to passengers.

Has anyone found a solution? I'm going to try one of these ponytail holders from my daughter. It doesn't look great but will see if it works.

Porsche Taycan 'Place Hands on Wheel' Message 714hrFZEC5L._SL1500_

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Has anyone found a solution? I'm going to try one of these ponytail holders from my daughter. It doesn't look great but will see if it works.

714hrFZEC5L._SL1500_.jpg
i've thought about getting a large binder clip (??) and leaving it on the wheel somewhere. or maybe a pipe clamp
binder.jpg
clamp-j.jpg
Wait, does pressure/grip on the steering wheel clear the "hands off the wheel" alert? My experience over the last 41,000 miles has been that I must rotate the steering wheel to reset the alert. For example, I can reset the alert by rotating the wheel with my knee or pushing on inner spokes of the wheel.

pio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S+
Country flag
Sometimes I steer into a curve, and ALK has the same perfect line ... and then the message pops up that the car would like to see proof that I am paying attention. This does not happen often, but kind of shows that the car wants to feel *rotation* not *grip*.

Another thing that I noticed is that, if the car does not feel any inputs, after a while it will try to ping pong between the lines. Very softly. If you are holding the wheel, the car will immediately feel that you are countering this motion.

So in practice, I am holding my hand on the steering wheel and resting my hand on my leg. This avoids any (bogus) warnings 99% of the time.

Reactions: Gru

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
I thought this was proven that the Taycan does not have a capacitance steering wheel, and instead relies on driver “rotation” in order to detect driver presence. As such, I don’t see how clamping pressure on the wheel would produce the stimuli the system is looking for.

Capacitance wheel is another item I’d like to see on the refresh.

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
As far as I know, the vehicle’s safety systems require a small amount of torque (rotational pressure) on the steering wheel periodically in order to ensure the driver is not unconscious or asleep while using automated steering assistance. This is a good thing - it keeps you and other drivers safe.

Tesla has the same requirement, but in their case a small amount of torque is ignored by the steering system when in autopilot (other than as confirmation that the driver is alive). So in a Tesla we can drive with continual gentle torque, ie just let an hand hang on the wheel, and never see a nag message. The problem with the Taycan is that it DOES seem to interpret torque as a steering instruction, so in order to keep the vehicle alive we have to wobble it in the lane very slightly at intervals.

Nevertheless it is a safety system and we should not try to counter it with clips or whatever other crazy ideas occur. There were some really, really stupid YouTubers in the early Tesla days, doing dumb things to defeat the safeguards, and we really don’t want that in the Taycan community!

bluegrassvroom

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 taycan 4s
Country flag
Wait, does pressure/grip on the steering wheel clear the "hands off the wheel" alert? My experience over the last 41,000 miles has been that I must rotate the steering wheel to reset the alert. For example, I can reset the alert by rotating the wheel with my knee or pushing on inner spokes of the wheel.
i must have a light grip- i've gotten this on our Volvo, Audi, and now Porsche. to me it's a simple squeeze. i guess i barely have a finger or two on the wheel (mainly highway) and when it gives this warning i jsut squeeze the wheel - without rotating it at all, and it goes away

i'm not saying your rotation doens't work - i'm just saying i KNOW a squeeze does for me (21 4s)
Sponsored