Plug and Charge

Dolomite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan GTS Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thought I would throw this in here. Picked up our new Taycan (2021) a few days ago

Pulled up to an Electrify Canada charge station. Went into the charging menu on the car and clicked the “plug and charge option” plugged into the 350kw charger and within 1 minute I was charging.

Worked seamlessly, didn’t really track the levels but I did note a reading at the maximum level 12.9km/min charge rate.

A few notes

- Charged for 35 mins. Assuming that 30 mins is free with the car and I’ll get a charge on my credit card that I added when setting up the Porsche Connect app when I took delivery. Thought would actually stop at 30mins but it didn’t just keeps going.

- I am not able to successfully remove the plug from the port after charging has finished. Charge light turns white but charger is locked on tight. Last night I had to use the manual pull string to get it out when charging at a different charge station. Tonight at this one I went into the charging menu on the display in the car and saw it said the plug was “locked” in one of the menu options (even after charging completed and said safe to remove) so I clicked on it and it changed to unlock and then I was able to easily remove the plug. Is this normal?

All in all I was impressed with the experience. No apps needed just drive up, plug in and charge.

A few pics

Porsche Taycan Plug and Charge 27DA238E-169C-4EFA-AB12-FB9896876AF8

Porsche Taycan Plug and Charge 2EAA2806-AA23-4B2B-81EC-5DB01E9F8FD5

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Did you push the lit up button (the white button in your comment) and then wait a few secs before trying to remove the plug? And was your car unlocked?

For EA stations, when I start charging it says "Taycan charging plan" and shows the correct charge before starting. It lists the charge is 0 for first 30 mins, what the rate is after that, and the idle time charge and idle time allowance. The "Pricing" button on the screen should show all of that.

For the 2020 cars, if we don't use the Charging NA or Porsche Connect app, we don't get the free charge (ie, the EA app charges us)

OP
OP
Dolomite

Dolomite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan GTS Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the response. Yes pushed the button but it’s still locked on tight!

For the info on screen once I hooked up maybe I missed that. Regardless I was just impressed that I could just pull up and get things going so easily.

I’ll try again in a few days to get it to release by pressing the button.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In the US, if you use the Charging NA app then your credit card is only charged at the end of the month (not at end of session) for any session over 30 mins.

The app 30 min cutoff setting works only sporadically for me.

Tambrose

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I found that I need to press the “Stop” button on the charger first. Then wait for the circular light in the charging port to go from green to flashing white to solid white. Only then can I press it and it will go off. A white light that shines on the charging plug turns on and then I can remove it.

Once, I did see the charging status on the lower screen have a spinning circle, like it was busy, for a long time. I finally pressed the “x” in the upper right of the screen. The charge port light went red and then white. Pressing after that let me remove the plug.

I’ve only had mine about two weeks, so still figuring it out a bit as well.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I’m 3 for 3 with Plug and Charge at Electrify Canada working in the Toronto area. Each time the plan has been displayed on the screen. I haven’t had issues disconnecting but I do always push the “stop” button on the screen first then the button on the car. The plug can be a little stiff.

Yesterday I went to a Petro-Canada to test that. Tapped my credit card as Plug and Charge didn’t work. I didn’t think it would though. Used my RBC Visa to take advantage of the free charging offer.

OP
OP
Dolomite

Dolomite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan GTS Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tried again this morning. Plugged in and pressed the stop button on the charger display, then pressed button on the charging port (it was white) no way it was going to come out.

Went into the car and unlocked it via the touchscreen setting. Not sure why this is happening.

Going to swing by the dealer and recreate with them.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Tried again this morning. Plugged in and pressed the stop button on the charger display, then pressed button on the charging port (it was white) no way it was going to come out.

Went into the car and unlocked it via the touchscreen setting. Not sure why this is happening.

Going to swing by the dealer and recreate with them.
That’s strange. Good call on checking with the dealer. Although, it will probably work perfectly at the dealer! That’s the way these things usually go and the dealer looks at you like you are an idiot.

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan 4S, Audi e-tron, Chrysler Town&Country
Country flag
Today will be the first time using an Electrify America station with my Taycan. It has worked well with my wife’s E-tron, so far.

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, I am zero for one with plug in charge on the Taycan. Pulled up to the EA station, plugged in at one of the 350 stations and nothing. It turns out that station was faulty. The guy in the mustang Mache next to me told me after I was fiddling around for a while. Moved the car to 150 kW charger plugged in and the station said that it was communicating with the car (handshake), but then would go to the payment screen. Never recognized the car or plug and charge.

I have use this EA station before with my wife’s Etron. I have charged the E Tron (with pug and charge) numerous times without any complications. Not sure exactly what the issue is. It did work with my EA app in my apple wallet, so in the end the car charged without incident.

OP
OP
Dolomite

Dolomite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan GTS Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m sure you did this but you checked off the plug and charge feature on the car and have it linked to the Porsche connect app.

I’m sure the answers are yes to the above questions. Sorry to hear the troubles and good luck.

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m sure you did this but you checked off the plug and charge feature on the car and have it linked to the Porsche connect app.

I’m sure the answers are yes to the above questions. Sorry to hear the troubles and good luck.
Well, I thought that we (salesman and I) set it, but I just checked the car and it was not. Had to search a bit to find the right screen. Now I’m not sure if or how see if it is linked to my Porsche connect app.

Thank you for the help, and feel a little bit like a dumbass for not checking that first.

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did some more forum searching and found a thread that had more info. I downloaded the Porsche Charging app and linked that to my account. This was definitely not covered during the handoff at the dealer.