PMCC electricity usage?

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Is there a way to query the PMCC to see how much electricity it has used for charging?
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Yes there is information on the display of the charger, that will show you how much the car has used during the session and perhaps one or two historical charges as well. You can also see how much the charger has delivered in its life time.

You can also view the different charging sessions in MyPorsche on the web. Once you have finished charging the information is uploaded and visible under one of the services on the car.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I tried looking at the charger. It has three pages of charging data, presumably the last 3 days. Like this:
Porsche Taycan PMCC electricity usage? FA4F65F4-BFD5-4FE8-ABBD-8FE686C0EDFD

not very useful. It doesn’t even say the dates. I tried pointing a browser to the IP address of the charger. Nothing there. Too bad. It wouldn’t have been very hard for them to give you a lot of useful info. Presumably other chargers do.

Fire34609

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Range Rover TD6 HSE, 2020 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
on the subject of these chargers. There is an area where it says vehicle list, but when mine is connected it does not show a vehicle or allow me anywhere to add a vehicle. I cannot find any information in any owners manual or good to know, anyone have any ideas? Thanks

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
on the subject of these chargers. There is an area where it says vehicle list, but when mine is connected it does not show a vehicle or allow me anywhere to add a vehicle. I cannot find any information in any owners manual or good to know, anyone have any ideas? Thanks
There is no facility for the charger to recognize what vehicle is connected - this is a limitation of the charger plug (the communication protocol over the plug specifically).

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Dave T

I do not agree with you at all!
I am not sure what you are expecting from the charger, but here are two screenshots of what the charger provides. I can agree that it is not perfect when it comes to costs etc, but the information certainly is available. I have no idea what you are expecting to see but I have more information than I know what to use?
I think there are plenty more issues with the PCM in the car, that are more urgent to address than further details about charging.
Porsche Taycan PMCC electricity usage? 7F3F3364-2E42-433B-AD8A-81546A0ABC9F
Porsche Taycan PMCC electricity usage? 8CD38EE7-929C-4066-874B-268677ECC13C

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
@Dave T

I do not agree with you at all!
I am not sure what you are expecting from the charger, but here are two screenshots of what the charger provides. I can agree that it is not perfect when it comes to costs etc, but the information certainly is available. I have no idea what you are expecting to see but I have more information than I know what to use?
I think there are plenty more issues with the PCM in the car, that are more urgent to address than further details about charging.
7F3F3364-2E42-433B-AD8A-81546A0ABC9F.png
8CD38EE7-929C-4066-874B-268677ECC13C.png
Whoa - that's perfect. Thanks! I hadn't checked the My Porsche website. I'd only looked on the app, and on the charger itself. I still think the info on the charger itself is pretty useless. But with the website, you can even export the data into a CSV and then do whatever you want with it in Excel. Oddly, the CSV is delimited with semi colons (the "C" in CSV stands for comma after all), but that's still workable. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I glad that you found useful info! There is a lot of good things with what Porsche has available. It is just a pity that it is so hard to find. I wish they had some guys that did some short videos for all of the goodies that are available!

Look forward to seeing some of the summaries you are going to prepare from the information!

Good luck.

Fire34609

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Range Rover TD6 HSE, 2020 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
There is no facility for the charger to recognize what vehicle is connected - this is a limitation of the charger plug (the communication protocol over the plug specifically).
Interesting that it would exist, wonder if other models somehow give data that this software would see what is connected. Or was this software used o another charger prior to the charger we use?

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
There is a technical solution. Its ISO15118 communication over powerline to the car. And the PMCC should support that. Following a text from Porsche FAQ:

Home charging
Which functions of the Mobile Charger Connect and the Home Energy Manager can be used with older vehicles (e.g. the Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid)?
Older vehicle generations do not support the ISO15118 protocol. This means that some charging functions are restricted. Regardless of the vehicle, you can benefit from overload protection as well as over-the-air software updates for your charging equipment and have the charging statistics as well as the device status displayed in My Porsche and the Porsche Connect app (availability varies from country to country). Functions such as cost-optimized and time-optimized charging are only supported by the ISO 15118 protocol.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There is a technical solution. Its ISO15118 communication over powerline to the car. And the PMCC should support that. Following a text from Porsche FAQ:

Home charging
Which functions of the Mobile Charger Connect and the Home Energy Manager can be used with older vehicles (e.g. the Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid)?
Older vehicle generations do not support the ISO15118 protocol. This means that some charging functions are restricted. Regardless of the vehicle, you can benefit from overload protection as well as over-the-air software updates for your charging equipment and have the charging statistics as well as the device status displayed in My Porsche and the Porsche Connect app (availability varies from country to country). Functions such as cost-optimized and time-optimized charging are only supported by the ISO 15118 protocol.
Interesting - maybe there's a newer electrical version of the J1772 spec that provides the needed bi-directional data capability.

Note also that the PMCC provides a WiFi hotspot - it's possible the car is connecting to the PMCC hotspot using a hidden network - ISO 15118 communication would certainly be possible in that case, however then why when a car is connected does it not show any details about the connected vehicle in the PMCC status display or web app ...?

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
Interesting - maybe there's a newer electrical version of the J1772 spec that provides the needed bi-directional data capability.
yes, it's called ISO15118. :) And also for AC charging it defines a communication protocol over Powerline to the car. This Plug and Charge feature announced for the Taycan is also defined in this ISO15118 spec. But it seems in case of the PMCC it does not provide as much information to show as at a High speed charger. Maybe again it depends on software versions.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
There must be some communication between the charger/terminal and the vehicle as the Electrify America terminals can display the charge level of the vehicle as it charges... (..and it doesn't require smartphone activation or App)

- So how do the "chargers" know what the charge level of the vehicle is? ( ISO15118 ? )

- Is this protocol bi-directional?

- Is it only available via DC charging or also AC charging?

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
There must be some communication between the charger/terminal and the vehicle as the Electrify America terminals can display the charge level of the vehicle as it charges... (..and it doesn't require smartphone activation or App)

- So how do the "chargers" know what the charge level of the vehicle is? ( ISO15118 ? )

- Is this protocol bi-directional?

- Is it only available via DC charging or also AC charging?
I found a very good explanation regarding the two standards EVs are using currently, implementing a bi-directional communication (ISO15118 and DIN spec 70121). Maybe that clarifies some details (even with regard to AC and DC charging:

https://v2g-clarity.com/blog/the-battle-between-iso-15118-and-din-spec-70121/

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
...”- Is it only available via DC charging or also AC charging?”
DC charging is three-phase rectified AC (less than 10% ripple with no smoothing capacitors). Any ISO15118 protocol signal would most likely pass straight through any charger. And I believe it is bi-directional.
Sponsored